Three add unlimited data to 'The One Plan'
Wednesday 15 December 2010 10:44:22 by John Hunt

All-you-can-eat data is now available on one of Three's mobile plans offering smartphone users the opportunity to surf away to their hearts content. Three say that customers see fear of exceeding data limits as one restriction which stops them from making the most out of their smartphone, so the company has brought forward this product to address this issue. Full details have not yet made it onto the three website.

"At Three we've built a network with the scale and scope to meet people's data needs both now and into the future – and with more and more customers choosing to opt for next generation smartphones, this will prove more important than ever.

Everyday thousands of customers buy a smartphone on a two-year contract. The trends clearly show usage grows over time. With its all-you-can-eat data The One Plan will still fit your needs no matter how much data you use.

We expect to see more people using mobiles than PCs to access the internet by 2015. all-you-can-eat data is designed to remove the possibility of bill shock when you use data, so you can use your smartphone to do everything it was designed for without the worry of cost."

Marc Allera, (Sales and Marketing Director) Three

The One Plan offers 2,000 any network minutes, 5,000 three-to-three minutes and 5,000 texts a month with all-you-can-eat data for £25 a month. At this price, it may entice users to move away from a fixed-broadband service if the network coverage is good as this could offer a cheaper way to get connected rather than paying for a phone line and a broadband service on top of the mobile phone contract.

Comments

Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
I wonder how long that offering will survive?
Posted by b4dger over 6 years ago
Re. phone line comment.
It's possible that they don't allow 'tethering' so you may be restricted to Smart Phone internet access?
Otherwise it all sounds good!
Posted by mhisani over 6 years ago
Please tell me how you see this info on the three site. All One plans IO see have a max of 1gb
Posted by b4dger over 6 years ago
@mhisani - the article mentions:
"Full details have not yet made it onto the three website." :¬)
Posted by undecidedadrian over 6 years ago
It will be great at first then as more and more people sign up to it and watch you tube videos all day long on it I expect a massive slowdown in speeds.

Although given O2 has gone the other way with low hard caps on usage I expect a mass migration when people's contracts are up.
Posted by john (Favicon staff member) over 6 years ago
I believe they do allow tethering.
Posted by mhisani over 6 years ago
@b4dget My excitement got the better of my eyes. My apologies
Posted by mhisani over 6 years ago
Okay it's made it to the front page as of 12:17
Posted by ProdMan over 6 years ago
I do get somewhat miffed when marketeers & journo's, who should know better make statements like "it may entice users to move away from a fixed-broadband service".

No No No

Mobile networks simply do not operate in the same way. Just because your cell site has "100Mb" in the backhaul, does not mean the smart phone is gonna get that. In a built up area, you are one of thousands using that cell.

Fixed & mobile are going to be complimentary, rather than competing propositions.
Posted by rian over 6 years ago
I just checked Three's website, it says the Internet allowance is 1GB but not UNLIMITED!
Posted by timmay over 6 years ago
Time to get me an iPhone 4 but will first start by asking O2 to match three's offer, if not they will loose me for both phone and broadband!
Posted by doowles over 6 years ago
Umm how is 1gb "unlimited"?
Posted by john (Favicon staff member) over 6 years ago
The old 1GB data allowance hasn't yet been updated on the Three website it seems
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
This won't last long either, @ 2Mbps, one can do over a 100GB a month.

@ProdMan

Actually mast capacity of decided by the masts technology, no amount of back haul will change this (unless it's less), majority have 7.2Mb x 3 channels, you can only ever get 7.2Mb max, even though there is 21.6Mbps in total.

Not all are downloading either, calls uses less than 64Kbps.
Posted by ProdMan over 6 years ago
@otester Completely agree on the radio side of life in a RAN. As the UK market moves into R4 and above in the 3GPP roadmap, then operators are refreshing the RAN to enable faster sync speeds etc.

cont...
Posted by ProdMan over 6 years ago
Operators in the Ethernet shaped world we are racing into are typically applying QOS profiles to traffic in the backhaul. Typically, the voice gets priority 1, then OAM, then Video. HSPA traffic is best effort only i.e. what is left in the pipe. If more users are trying to connect than is left, the traffic is simply discarded depending on the overbook rate.

I get a bit miffed by the assumption that it is either fixed or mobile. That is not the point. They are complimentary.
Posted by russianmonkey over 6 years ago
3 could offer me unlimited calls and texts as well as data with no FUP, and I still wouldn't take their shoddy service.
Posted by timmay over 6 years ago
@russianmonkey good point! What needs to happen is for O2 or Vodafone to match it. NEED 2G @ 900Mhz or will have to make all calls standing out side in the rain/snow.
Posted by jackery over 6 years ago
Will it be possible to use one of these sim card tariffs in a dongle?
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@timmay

3G on 900Mhz would have the same signal as current 2G.

Someone needs a electronics/science injection.
Posted by timmay over 6 years ago
@otester Yes I know I've been screaming about the need of 3G on 900Mhz (or 800Mhz) for a long time now! Ofcom/goverment policy holds back the UK market so much. Three has no 900Mhz spectrum hence having to use their network out in the rain/snow unless standing next to the mast. O2 wern't interested in matching three's offer last night, they couldn't even acknowledge the new tariff saying that it was capped at 1GB, which they also would not match.
Posted by herdwick over 6 years ago
900 MHz restriction to GSM was an EU policy. It served us well in making GSM widely available on the same frequency band everywhere, much better than the shambles you see in the USA.
Posted by asylum_seeker over 6 years ago
For those of you with an iphone 3G/3GS/4 you can get an app such as MyWi which turns your iphone into a wifi hotspot so you can connect any pc in your home to the Three network without any data limits....that's assuming you have a good Three 3G signal. MyWi also hides your device name so Three would assume all data usage is coming from your smart phone. Drawbacks? You need a jailbroken phone and it costs about a tenner :(
Posted by awoodland over 6 years ago
"Unlimited" is pretty interesting given what they've said in the past about "unlimited", when launching "the one plan" to be precise:

Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@herdwick

All it has done is undermine innovation.

Operators should be able to do what they see fit with their network (property), another example of state intervention fudging stuff up.

@asylum_seeker

Unnecessary, they can only tell between devices (via IMEI), tethering ban is a bluff.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
Also @herdwick

With operators such as Three only having higher spectrum, this shows that the EU policy is irrelavent.
Posted by NetGuy over 6 years ago
Interested to see some would not touch Three. I've been using them for 24+ months - first 18 was getting 5 GB/month (dongle user) and the fee was under 7.50 (VAT ), while last 6+ months have been given 15 GB for same 7.50 (and use 95+% each month).
Posted by NetGuy over 6 years ago
(near A483, N Wales - at least 3 masts in local area due to terrain, always able to connect, used it instead of landline initially [but now hit 200 GB/month on landline - paying under a tenner for ADSL, connect speed ~3 Mbps].
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@NetGuy

I've noticed that 90% of the problems people get with mainstream ISP's are down to lack of knowledge.

Three hasn't caused me any trouble and I am glad they punish the ignorant, learn or GTFO.
Posted by middledogwatch over 6 years ago
russianmonkey obviously had more problems with 3 than I
When I was on the Kennet & Avon canal last year I never managed a good 3 connection, inside or out - my Vodafone dongle was almost as bad
I've just gone from Devizes to Rugby, via London, Northampton, & Peterborough, with only a couple of days without a good 3 signal on dongle or phone. Last year I'd gladly have dumped 3 – and celebrated - now I'm happy enough to go iPhone4/One Plan (albeit a tad nervously!)
BTW I live in what is basically a 4+mm thick steel shell - only pierced by portholes, & still get through 99.9% of the time
Posted by cyberdoyle over 6 years ago
it takes 47 hours to download open office (sub 300meg) on 3 here. doubt many round here will exceed data usage... many places can't even get the signal. I agree with previous commenters, mobile is a complimentary service for when you are 'mobile', we need both a reliable land based internet service and a mobile one. if we had fibre into all areas the cells would have a far better feed and could maybe serve more users?