Virgin announce official launch of TiVo
Wednesday 01 December 2010 15:00:02 by John Hunt

Virgin have officially launched TiVo today, a new service that it is calling "next-generation entertainment" or a turbo for your TV. The new device offers a whole new TV experience through an intuitive interface that allows you to easily record and watch programmes that you want to see including rating shows you like to help build an intelligent recommendations system. A built in search allows you to find programmes and films to watch as well as letting you search for actors (and auto-record things they are in) and giving results from online services such as YouTube. It contains 1TB of storage which should allow you to record around 500 hours of standard definition TV.

"This is a landmark moment in the UK's digital revolution and vividly illustrates why Virgin Media is the only company who can provide the ultimate digital lifestyle. For the first time, viewers will have a truly personalised viewing experience so they can get the most out of the wonderful worlds of the internet and TV all in one place. We're really excited to bring our customers what is just the first of successive generations of transformational services based on this unique TiVo-powered platform."

Cindy Rose, (Executive director of digital entertainment) Virgin Media

The box is available for £199 (with £40 setup) and costs £3 per month extra on top of Virgin's TV service. It features a built in 10Mbps cable modem which allows it to gain access to online content and Video-on-Demand without interfering or slowing down the existing broadband connection. It will have three tuners built in allowing viewers to record two programmes whilst watching another, but early adopters should be aware that the launch models only have one tuner.

Also coming next year will be access to control the TiVo box from your iPad allowing you to use the device as both a remote control and also to set up remote recordings or find out information about what you are watching or easily find new things that might be of interest.

To sign-up or find out more, visit the Virgin's TiVo microsite.

Posted by m0aur over 6 years ago
Seems like another in what is becoming a long list of expensive variations on the iPlayer and 4od etc.
Posted by Somerset over 6 years ago
Only a 10Mb modem, I thought we needed at least 100Mb, ideally 1Gb.
Posted by New_Londoner over 6 years ago
So does this in effect create an additional 10Mb user on the cable segment? I assume that this one per TiVo box and not one for each of the three tuners?

Given the growing complaints about contention and poor throughput already, it will be interesting to see what happens if there is much demand.
Posted by acpsd775 over 6 years ago
i wonder if they will cap it to 2.5meg if u watch 2 much internet content lol
Posted by john (Favicon staff member) over 6 years ago
New_Londoner: yes I believe that's what happens. I imagine the content will be served mainly from the VM headend so there shouldn't be too much of a contention issue.
Posted by russianmonkey over 6 years ago
I have the Scientific Atlanta box virgin has for recording shows and it's the worst box ever made that I have owned. IMO!

I don't see why they can't activate the 3 tuners at the time they put the equipment out... sounds like a rush job to me.
Posted by Drefsab over 6 years ago
Its about time we got a decent Tivo device over here in the uk, as to contention what's the betting they have something similar to Akami setup for all the web content so external bandwidth of the VM network is kept down to a minimum.

As for the tuners that's just poor, I want one of these box but I will not accept it only having 1 tuner as the whole point of me getting the box would be recording something while im watching something else etc. As such I will wait and who knows maybe the price will come down a bit as well :)
Posted by krazykizza over 6 years ago
10mbps is not enough... and what the feck is the setup fee all about?! Box is too expensive too.
Posted by russianmonkey over 6 years ago
Is the box still rented?

Do I get the money back I paid for my SA box which has more bugs than the amazon in it?
Posted by Dixinormous over 6 years ago
No and no. You bought the SA box, you don't get a refund for replacing it with a new one. You buy the TiVo box it's all yours.

Drefsab, 2 tuners initially moving to 3.

krazykizza - 10Mbps is fine just for the TiVo, it's not like it's going to be used for newsgroups. If you aren't prepared to pay for it you just don't get it, simples.
Posted by russianmonkey over 6 years ago
I'm sorry, but Virgin will make it their equipment.

You can't use it with any other cable co!