BT reach over 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots
Tuesday 09 November 2010 10:11:02 by John Hunt

BT is claiming the crown as the UK's largest Wi-Fi provider today after it has announced there are now over 2 million hotspots in its network across the UK. These are available mainly through homes and businesses, but also at high-street locations such as coffee shops and hotels, major city centres, and the latest addition being a trial at a London Underground Tube station. These different locations of the Wi-Fi estate are made up of BT Openzone hotspots, BT FON Wi-Fi Community, and BT Openzone hotspots available through BT Business hubs.

"Demand for wireless access is growing at a record rate, we've have added more than 780,000 hotspots in the last six months and will continue to meet the demand as more and more smart-phone, laptop, tablet, iPod and e-reader users choose WiFi to stay connected when they are out and about. What's more our BT Total Broadband customers have free and unlimited access to the largest WiFi network in the UK included in their broadband package."

Gavin Patterson, (Chief Executive Officer) BT Retail

Just 8 months ago, BT were touting their one million strong hotspots, and the company has managed to double this within this short period. The breakdown of figures between the different hotspots is 3,900 Openzone hotspots (an increase of 100), 195,000 BT Business Hubs offering BT Openzone, and 1,955,000 BT FON hotspots.

Posted by herdwick over 6 years ago
"These are available mainly through homes and businesses" - and I wonder what proportion know they are providing them :-)

They're a darned nuisance when windoze decides to latch onto an unsecure FON channel rather than the correct secure one on a home hub.
Posted by stxsl over 6 years ago
"They're a darned nuisance when windoze . . ." My solution is to not use "Redmond OS". :-)
Posted by New_Londoner over 6 years ago
@herdwick "They're a darned nuisance when windoze ..."

Depending on the o/s version, you should be able to set it to automatically connect to the correct SSID when this is detected, and to only connect to the others manually, which should overcome your problem.
Posted by c_j_ over 6 years ago
I had the opportunity to try a couple of these a couple of weeks back. Neither would get any further than the initial screen, and even if they had done I wouldn't have wanted to pay the outrageous prices (£3/hour, £5/day). I now have a PAYG 3G stick which I will use away from home where there is coverage (and at home when my DSL is bust). Where there's no 3G for the stick, I'll use my mobile (where I pay £5 a MONTH not a day).
Posted by radiomarko over 6 years ago
BT OZ is indeed very useful, if you are a BT customer. I doubt the stats however, my old home location shows as a "BT FON" hotspot, I moved 4 years ago and I know the current owner does not use BT BB. I have also walked around town looking at a BT hotspot map - 50% didn't exist. Try it yourself, would be interesting.
Posted by john (Favicon staff member) over 6 years ago
I see 30 access points here. 6 HomeHubs, 5 of which are advertising FON/Openzone access. Never managed to make the Openzone ones work though.