One in five broadband users have a VoIP service
Wednesday 27 October 2010 16:08:03 by John Hunt

VoIP (Voice over IP) is the add-on of choice in the broadband industry according to figures from Point Topic which show that one in five consumer broadband connections worldwide now come with a VoIP telephony service. There are over 100 million VoIP subscriptions, having passed the milestone at the end of 2009 and another 12 million were added in the first half of 2012.

One of the main drivers for this take-up is broadband operators offering bundles that include a VoIP service. France is the leader in this field with VoIP penetrating to 92.42% of broadband subscriptions, around 70% of all French households.

The UK ranked 15th using the above data with VoIP penetrating to 17.91% of broadband customers, a little below average. The US lay only just outside the top 10 in 11th place with 27.91% penetration. Whilst the US top the charts of total number of VoIP subscriptions (23.9 million), China, the country with the highest broadband penetration, only managed 4.87% penetration into this with VoIP, ranking 25th.

"VoIP has come a long way in a short time. It's attractive to consumers as it is priced very competitively in terms of subscription and call charges. It's attractive to operators as it's a straightforward implementation that offers a chance for them to differentiate their services. There's no reason to believe growth is going to slow significantly until a market reaches saturation and we could reasonably expect to see 200 million subscribers by 2015."

John Bosnell, (Senior Analyst) Point Topic

Of course, whilst a VoIP connection may be bundled with a broadband service, and 92% penetration is impressive, there is no data on how many of these people actually regularly use it.

Comments

Posted by New_Londoner over 6 years ago
I'm not sure why this is important - having a ranking would suggest being ranked first is good, not convinced this matters either way.
Posted by Dixinormous over 6 years ago
The UK's ranking is going to take a hit for two reasons. One is that our cable company uses standard POTS rather than PacketCable VoIP for its' telco product, the other is that there are no 'dry loop' products - all residential DSL services require POTS.
Posted by m0aur over 6 years ago
BT give a free second number, free HubPhone and free evening and weekend internet calls. But, when I was with them, I didn't bother after discovering the handsets crashed during a call. I went back to Skype, much easier and more reliable.
Posted by Legolash2o over 6 years ago
VoIP is a really good product, i just wished more of the main providers (BT, TalkTalk, Sky) offered it.

And for those with FTTP, should use VOIP to get of the copper completely. That way when you build a new house you don't have to install a copper network and a separate fibre network...
Posted by New_Londoner over 6 years ago
"And for those with FTTP, should use VOIP to get of the copper completely"

As long as you take steps to install batteries etc so you have communications in the event of a power cut. A lot of people overlook this, forget your fibre will not provide power to your phone like the copper does.
Posted by themanstan over 6 years ago
The importance is that France allows copper to be eliminated from the network. USO here requires the copper network to be maintained, until the USO is modified to allow fibre to supercede copper BT is stuck running two networks, with all the incipient costs and investment requirements. BT has asked for copper to be eliminated from the wording of the USO so that where fibre is rolled out they don't need to maintain the copper. Complain about OFCOM for the copper network...
Posted by idf03 over 6 years ago
@New_Londoner at my previous address on NTL, the POTS phone line used to go dead during a power cut despite the requirement not to.
Posted by Legolash2o over 6 years ago
Our phone still works during a powercut, i know battery backup will be needed but the majority of people have mobiles phones anyway but still an obvious need for a backup anyway.

I bet it costs BT hundreds of millions to maintain fibre and copper :( Wish Ofcom would magically disappear. LOL
Posted by authoriseduser545 over 6 years ago
BT's VoIP is a joke. For my regular line, I have the package where I can make free local and national calls 24/7. And I pay a fiver to get free international calls. But my BT VoIP line??? Well, first of all, I get charged for all local and national calls made during business hours. Stink. Secondly, my International package does not apply to my VoIP line. More stink. Result??? I virtually never use my VoIP line.