Be offers land line rental to complete its broadband products
Tuesday 21 September 2010 15:43:57 by Andrew Ferguson

The market for telephone line rental is almost as complicated as the mobile phone contract arena these days. Be who have been supplying ADSL2+ for a number of years in the are now entering this arena, with three telephone line rental deals that range from £9.50 to £13.50 per month.

• Basic Landline £9.50 per month, with calls starting at 4.5p per minute. The ideal solution for people who rarely make phone calls on their broadband line, and perhaps the closest you will get to naked DSL.
  • Evening and Weekend £10.50 a month, includes UK landline calls from 6pm to 6am and alll weekend.
  • Anytime £13.50, provides 24/7 UK landline calls, calls to mobiles in USA/Canada, and calls to landlines in 22 countries.

The proviso on these products is that you take a Be Broadband package which vary in price from £13.79 to £21.97. In terms of contract length, the line rental is tied to whatever contract you already have running for broadband or if buying broadband and phone line at the same time that contract term will apply. For those without an active BT line, or equivalent, the installation fee is £85 (inc VAT). If you are a very heavy user of the phone, as with all phone packages you should pay close attention to the terms and conditions covering costs for calls longer than 60 minutes, and any fair usage policy.

The pricing is a fair bit cheaper than the £12 a month which is average, and if you have the cheapest BT line rental and don't make any calls in a month they do add £1.50 onto the bill. The wholesale line rental is actually £8.64+VAT a month at present, so you can see that it is unlikely that a cheaper line rental deal can be found without adding other products to the bundle.

Posted by Scubaholic over 6 years ago
Can't find any details regarding FUP. On Anytime package limit is 600 minutes for mobiles & overseas calls. Prices outside package are expensive
Posted by mbailey over 6 years ago
You also need to factor in the £2 per month for CalledID which you get free with BT Privacy. This kills the deal for me.
Posted by mbailey over 6 years ago
And not to mention the fact that you can't use 18185 any more for cheaper mobile calls.
Posted by kamelion over 6 years ago
you are forgetting the main benefit - you arent tied to an 18 month contract and that it's still £2 cheaper than BT.
Posted by BIORAPTOR over 6 years ago
I am thinking of going with BE after my Sky contract is up.
As a gamer I want the best possible upload speeds I can get?,I am led to believe BE is a good ISP provider for my needs?.Offer wise this is pretty much in the range on what I pay now...
Posted by nredwood over 6 years ago
@BIORAPTOR - Post your current stats in the BE section of the forums here and we can give you an estimate

@mbailey - I think you can use 18185 on O2 Home Phone, therefore very likely to be the same on BE. Am checking this
Posted by draper29 over 6 years ago
If you use a carrier pre select service with the BE landline you will be charged more. For example if you use call18866 with BT you will be charged 5p for up to an hour to a uk landline. With BE on 18866 you will be charged 1p/pmin and a 5p connection fee. Even though i detest BT I have just signed up for the year as it is the cheapest option for me. I would love to use the BE landline if CPS services didnt penalise me for not being with BT
Posted by doowles over 6 years ago
People actually use landlines for calling people? I have a mobile phone for that!

Great deal from BE as always.
Posted by draper29 over 6 years ago
Yes people do actually use landlines. If your mobile can sustain multiple daily phone calls in excess of 40 mins for 5p then lucky you. sassy comments, i have a scruffy parrot for that.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago

Mobile+Skype, 10k minutes per month.