TalkTalk follow BT with phone rental price hikes
Tuesday 10 August 2010 12:30:59 by John Hunt

TalkTalk have announced price rises in line rental and call packages with will take affect from October following a similar announcement by BT in July. BT's announcement saw a price increase of 50p per month on landline rental and TalkTalk will increase the cost of their rental by 5% putting it at £12.04, the same as BT's new line rental cost if you opt for paperless billing. TalkTalk have also increased their daytime call charge to be in line with BT's new price of 6.4p a minute, up from 5.8p.

Other standing charges such as late payment fees are increasing by 33% (to £10) and if you move house the fee to move your service will increase by 66% to £49.99. A TalkTalk spokeswoman said that the company still offered "the best value home phone and broadband services" but perhaps with it falling more in line with BT's charges, the competitive advantage will be diminished, particularly with new operators entering the market.

This is the second change TalkTalk will have made to pricing this year. In June, they altered their daytime pricing from 4.6p up to 5.8p per minute, and increased the hours that daytime calls run by two hours to 7am-7pm. This second rise will put the price at 39% higher than it was just 5 months before. This does draw in to question whether TalkTalk still offer good value over BT's services, even if TalkTalk remain marginally cheaper than the incumbent operator.

Full details of the TalkTalk price changes are available here:

Posted by rickw over 6 years ago
What a strange move for a second tier supplier.

I signed up for TT on the basis that it would be much cheaper but that internet speeds for example would not be as good as Sky - my previous ISP. This has turned out to be true. I used to get 8meg but now just over 3meg with same copper lines etc.

What I have not seen commented on is the apparant removal of free local calls from new contracts. This again was a major draw.
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
Step 1:Cherry pick the cheapest exchanges.
Step 2:Entice customers with sweet deals.
Step 3:Once enough customers are onboard raise the prices.
Step 4:Profit.
Posted by timmay over 6 years ago
Looks like the TalkTalk plan. After all TT are already more expensive than BT on exchanges they haven't unbundled. I don't really see the point in TT they haven't got a USP if it is not price.
Posted by davolente over 6 years ago
TT have raised my broadband price which stayed the same for a while after the Tiscali take-over. "Alignment with other packages" they call it. Poor value I call it. My neighbourhood is lucky to get 1 meg from ANY ISP due to lousy BT lines, so I fail to see why I should have to pay more. Had a leaflet through the post extolling the virtues of the "new" package. Irony, or what?
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
I could see the point of Talk Talk if they were better (customer service and competence) than BT. My experience of them (just once) is that they are marginally more competent, phrased another way, less bad. Hardly a great USP.
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
@davolente:Maybe if you were prepared to pay more the various telecommunications companies would be prepared to invest more.

I'll also add that it sounds like there's nothing wrong with your telephone line. If you can get any kind of broadband on it then it's outperforming its design specifications.

What you need is a new type of line but that costs 'mega bucks' and will need price rises to cover it.
Posted by shaunhw over 6 years ago

ISPs rather than customers have brought down prices in their incessant quest for more and more customers. People make the decision to buy what's on offer. Broadband is the saviour of fixed telephone lines. Many people would just go mobile, if they didn't need fast internet access.
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
@shaunhw:Also true - they are both the result of market forces :)

I imagine the only reason BT bothered with ADSL is because they saw the mobile threat looming.

So yeah - six of one, half a dozen of the other with Ofcom playing referee.
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
A ref thats short sighted, half drunk and has 1 leg....
Posted by wirelesspacman over 6 years ago
... is probably still better than some that were at the world cup!
Posted by leshewitt over 6 years ago
Interesting. We transferred our calls to TalkTalk in the early days, then line rental too. From memory, I think their original charging structure was "10% less than BT". So as BT's prices went up and down and their connection charges appeared and changed, then TT just subtracted 10% and their prices went up and down too. Looks like that's changed a bit. As far as I can see, the rental charge and call connection fee will be identical from TT and BT after the price rises.
Posted by leshewitt over 6 years ago
I'm unlikely to move as (unlike some) I'm happy with the service. However, as a new user I would be unlikely to move to TT if they are just the same price.
Posted by dragon1945 over 6 years ago
I moved to Talktalk when Tiscali took over my old ISP, and my 1.5 MB diminished to 300 KB. I opted for 24/7 inclusive calls with line rental and BB inclusive. Will I still get the 24/7 calls inclusive when the pricing changes? Where could I go from here? BT still say they can only offer 512 KB on this line, yet Talktalk manages 1.6 MB on the same line from the same Exchange ??? If I switched to Sky I suppose I would have to have a BT line again, and no guarantees that I would still get 1.6 MB either. I think I am stuck with talktalk despite the price hikes.
Posted by PBS1 over 6 years ago
I was a Tiscali customer and paid only 14.99p pm for broadband (up to 8mg) anytime calls and including line rental. TT took over my connection speed has gone to pot they have now decided to realogn the price which brings it up to £26.49p, i tried to switch but was told by 2 other companys that i would have to have my phone line reconnected to the BT system first before i could change over as TT have taken it off the grid?? So what can i do??