BT launch faster upload speeds through Annex M on 21CN
Tuesday 03 August 2010 15:22:43 by John Hunt

Yesterday BT Wholesale announced the launch of faster upstream speeds on its 21CN Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) platform. The option increases the amount of bandwidth available for uploading by slightly decreasing the amount of downstream bandwidth. BT trials showed that enabling the option can increase the upload speed by between 200Kbps and 1Mbps with a 10-15% sacrifice on the download speed.

BT believe the option will favour businesses who use services like VoIP, video conferencing as the enhanced upload speed will allow users to increase the quality of calls and video used. Users who upload lots of data using things like VPNs or online backup tools could also benefit from the faster time to transfer data. There is an additional charge levied at £7 per end user per month to the ISP which may be higher for end users.

"Annex M allows our customers to expand their portfolio and so find themselves in a better position to tailor – and differentiate – their broadband services by matching them more precisely to the needs of individual businesses. Annex M is just one of the one of the number of broadband developments to help our customers deliver an ever better customer experience and grow their sales in the mixed economy marketplace."

Colin Annette, (Client Director) BT Communication Service Provider Group

Annex M does require users to have a modem or router which supports this option and should give users the option of up to 2.5Mbps of upstream bandwidth if your line can support it. It's worth noting that this option has been available through providers who use an LLU network such as BE for some time and BT are slowly playing catchup. On the BT network, its only available if your exchange has been upgraded to ADSL2+ (i.e. you can receive up to 24meg broadband from BT) and this is currently around 55% of homes and businesses. This will be increased to around 75% by spring 2011.

Comments

Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
I wonder if this £7 per month will be passed onto the customer? If so I can't see many people taking it. A one-off charge maybe but not per month.
Posted by herdwick over 6 years ago
does the Home Hub do Annex M ?
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
In other news, BT are trialling a comfort cushion for bicycles with square wheels.
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
Consider the costs of 2Mb/2Mb SDSL...

Consider the costs of 20Mb/2.5Mb Annex-M...

May have traffic shaping etc etc... but if low use its a steal.

Pointless if you are in a FTTC area though...
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
Not a steal when compared to BE though, obviously that relies on your exchange being LLU'd by BE.

@herdwick, unknown I can't find it referenced anywhere, I would hope so, it wouldn't sound too good if they told you you had to replace the router as the Homehub can't cut it :)
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
For people who don't have FTTC, Virgin or BE LLU in their area... its a steal then :)
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
:D It looks like they are dishing out sweeteners where possible whilst FTTC/FTTP is underway, no use to me I don't get 21CN'nd until March next year.... :|
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
To quote a large chain supermarket...

Every little helps!

You need to see about getting into one of the small regional schemes :P

I'm lucky that my city is 99.8% VM, if I was to go with copper, there are no plans for ADSL2+ at all, and all I would get is 2Mb despite living in the city centre of the 5th biggest city in scotland.

If it came to it, there is even some very very fast wifi around here... fast enough to compete with leased lines.
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
So if the exchange was upgraded to 24Mbps - which it won't be, as it isn't a cabled area so there's no need - and if I could get ADSL2+ on the line in a stable fashion - pretty unlikely - then I could trade maybe 1Mbps of my download for upload, giving me a stonking 0.7Mbps/1.2Mbps broadband speed. Well done, BT. Really 21st century.
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
Mark - ADSl2+ syncs at 1Mb~1.5Mb up by default.

ADSL2+ Annex M would give you around 2.5Mb up.
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
The 2.5km of naff aliminimum and copper wire can only manage 1.7Mbps downstream at the best of times on ADSL1 :-(
Posted by btodd over 6 years ago
That is not good Mark. It is a shame you had to make several posts to explain it more than once due to other users deaf ears.
Posted by cf492bcc over 6 years ago
What? £7+ per month for a trivial improvement in upstream? Talk about a rip off. Does anyone who cares realise that the country currently rates 66th (speedtest.net) in the world for average upstream capacity? Oh, but BT could surely never allow the average subscriber have such an extravagant degree of capability, otherwise how ever could they continue to gouge business users?

Oh, and I nearly threw up after reading that quote by Colin Annette, but that's BT for you... they always make me feel this way.
Posted by Gzero over 6 years ago
"Annex M is just one of the one of the number of broadband developments to help our customers deliver an ever better customer experience"

Hehe qft /sarcasm
Typical marketing speak to try and make it out they designed it. :>
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@MarkHampshire

So am I the only one whoe's 4km and getting 3Mb?
Posted by btodd over 6 years ago
cf492bcc 66th in the world that is pretty bad. Im from the USA and thought we performed poorly. I also agree about bt before i came to the UK as an American (a bit stupid perhaps, but) i thought bt was a Great British institution. Until i had to deal with them. International calls cost so much and i miss real broadband.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@btodd

BT probably would be a "Great British institution" if it wasn't shafted by the government.
Posted by c_j_ over 6 years ago
And then once it's introduced they'll bring in an associated speedtester that says "even if you only ever get a quarter of the nominal upstream speed, we won't accept it as a fault". Just like they currently do with downstream speeds.
Posted by btodd over 6 years ago
Yes c_j_ i only get 2Mbps from my upto 8Mbps connection. I do not know what otester means or why that would have anything to do with the British government. In America if our internet is bad we blame the isp. We do not blame our state departments. Is bt still state owned then?
Posted by herdwick over 6 years ago
BT is regulated due to its "significant market power" by OFCOM, though in the area of wholesale broadband provision that only applies where there aren't enough competitors (Market 1,2,3 define the level of regulation).
Posted by cf492bcc over 6 years ago
@btodd, well, to be honest, 66th is better than it has been. It's only within the last couple of months that it rose from 82nd place where it'd been hovering for a long time, as most of the country have been stuck on 448kbps upstream for years, courtesy of BT.

We currently list 21st out of the 27 nations that make up the EU. Awesome.
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
@otester - I have no idea :) My history (distance from exchange): @3.4km not serviceable | @ 4.2km not serviceable | @ 300yds 7Mbps | @ 2.5km 1.7Mbps. I thought that speed was good going for the distance and it was just borderline that I could have it at all, mind you my expectations of ADSL are pretty low.
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
@cf492bcc - I love how you solely blame BT...

You do know that on ADSL the max sync speeds are 832kbps? Its up to the ISP to choose what to offer, most go for 448kbps as they assume that no-one needs more. But if you want more, many ISP's will offer this.

Also, what about kingston or virgin as well?
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@MarkHampshire

I could be that your telephone line is aluminium or parts of the cabling back to the exchange is.

I had this back in Southampton and lost 1/3 of my speed (Openreach engineers explanation).
Posted by cf492bcc over 6 years ago
@TaRkADaHl

I don't "solely blame BT" at all. The news article is about BT. They are a big part of the reason why though.

And what about, what about... Take a look at the numbers I've mentioned, and you tell me why you think that's the case. Why do we rate 21st of the 27 in the EU? Why do we rate 66th in the world? Do you think these numbers are about right for a country of this stature?
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
If Virgin offered better upload speeds (which they could have years ago) we'd could sore up the upload chart, well subject to availability of course. Anyway the more FTTC rollouts done the better the upload speed, 10Mb and 15Mb up so we'll be up that chart in no time....

Ok a few years ;o)
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@cf492bcc

They are a big part of the reason but the reason why they would be part of the blame at all is not their fault.

Forced socialism is.
Posted by chrysalis over 6 years ago
max 15% affect on download speed?

the tones used by annexM would reduce my down sync by about 30%.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"If Virgin offered better upload speeds (which they could have years ago) we'd could sore up the upload chart....."

Agree with that remark, although couldnt BT have offered Annex M years ago??? How long have BE been doing it now? BT could had also made line bonding and other solutions cheaper, but they didnt. Upload speeds are not the entire fault of any single company. You had to defend BT again though and blame someone else.
Posted by mhc over 6 years ago
As expected, plenty of criticism of BT from the normal culprits. But not one mention of the fact that it is significantly cheaper than a similar offering from Entanet.

Entanet are offering Annex M at £9.99/month or a massive 42% more expensive.

Posted by Mr_Fluffy over 6 years ago
I don't see why Annex M has to cost any extra - it's just a techy trade off between download and upload speeds that could just be a customer option as long as the relevant equipment is at the exchange
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"As expected, plenty of criticism of BT from the normal culprits."

I hope that wasnt aimed at me as it came straight after my post, because i made it clear "Upload speeds are not the entire fault of any single company"
Posted by New_Londoner over 6 years ago
Quote from Gman "Anyway the more FTTC rollouts done the better the upload speed, 10Mb and 15Mb up so we'll be up that chart in no time...."

Very true - my new FTTC line is currently giving upload speeds ofover 11Mb, as deomonstrated on http://www.speedtest.net/result/908187474.png for teh sceptical. ;-)