Project Canvas loses Channel Five
Monday 12 July 2010 14:59:52 by John Hunt

Channel Five has quit Project Canvas to review its digital investment strategy. Canvas is a collaboration between TV content providers and broadband network operators to develop an open-standards based set-top box for viewing on-demand TV such as iPlayer through the television. Thought to be branded YouView, the service is expected to launch in the first half of 2011. It continues to receive the backing of the six remaining project partners which includes the BBC, BT, ITV, Channel 4, TalkTalk and Arqiva.

"We continue to support the objectives of Project Canvas and despite withdrawing our interest in the venture we believe it will be a critical part of our strategy for reaching consumers in the future."

Charles Constable, (Director of Strategy) Five

Channel Five has been put up for sale by parent company RTL and a source told the Guardian that Five struggled to convince RTL's majority owner, Bertelsmann that Canvas was a valuable thing to be involved with.

"We've had excellent support from Five. They share our goal of bringing the benefits of internet-connected TV to all. We look forward to working with them as a content provider to the platform in the future."

Richard Halton, (Director) Project Canvas

Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
The sooner this troublesome from the start Project Canvas thing is dead and burried the better, another joke copy of the freeview system where they think people will pay for the content.
Posted by zyborg47 over 6 years ago
The idea is good, it is another way to get T.V and it won't all be paid content.
The problems is that most people have limits on their broadband and the free content will just be the same old dross that is on normal Freeview or Sky for that matter.

Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
Mixing the internet and TV, may well be the future but not dross like this, things which Hulu, Boxee and google TV are up to are more likely the future.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
An alternative to corporate media on TV would be beneficial.
Posted by TGVrecord over 6 years ago
Five is currently up for sale and one of the potential buyers is Sky. This might be an indication that negotiations with Sky may be at an advanced stage as it is well known that Sky are opposed to Project Canvas. By the way, Five are not expected to join the Freesat platform in the near future.
Posted by NetGuy over 6 years ago
... currently includes Five.

So, any FreeSat users, is it working or not ?

I don't have FreeSat at the moment, though even without FiveUSA I probably will be interested in future (as I could have several boxes in different rooms via 4 cables from dish into a 16 or 24 channel mux)
Posted by TGVrecord over 6 years ago
Sorry I meant to type Five HD. Five SD has been available on Freesat for a while. Five USA and Fiver are not available on Freesat but are on Freeview (depending on transmitter).
Posted by NetGuy over 6 years ago
OK, just had me puzzled for a bit. Luckily I can get the other channels.

(Postcode check suggests 10 channels, but I get 20+)
Posted by TGVrecord over 6 years ago
I assume you are writing about the Freeview availability. According to my postcode check I don't get any Freeview channels but I do get around 6 depending on the weather. My neighbor gets far more as he has a new aerial pointing at another transmitter.