Virgin Media preparing for 400Mbps broadband
Thursday 24 June 2010 11:19:20 by John Hunt

It's no secret that Virgin Media have been looking to boost broadband speeds in the UK. Virgin already offer 50meg broadband and they will be upgrading this to 100meg broadband by the end of the year, speeds which already offer some of the fastest in the UK. When 100meg is launched, they will be the only broadband provider offering this on a large scale. BT's ability to offer speeds like this is hampered by the copper network that is used to deliver broadband which can only support speeds of up to 40meg using the fibre-to-the-cabinet network they are building, and this speed is only achievable if you live very close to the Exchange or cabinet which serves your line. Up to 100meg is available in some areas where fibre-to-the-home is being deployed, but these are only greenfield sites (new build) and deployment of fibre isn't common.

Virgin aren't standing still though, they are preparing their network to launch 400Mbps broadband with modems and routers which support this available at the end of the year, although no launch date for products of these speeds is in sight. This will significantly boost the bandwidth available to customers and leave BT lagging behind with no equivalent products available to compete with Virgin. Whether there is demand is not so clear. Everyone talks about wanting faster broadband speeds but only around 70,000 have signed up to Virgins fastest 50meg broadband service. Virgin believe that consumers are beginning to want more from their connections. Upstream speeds are expected to increase also but customer research indicates there isn't huge demand for this.

"The DOCSIS 3 network really gives us a dial we can turn to give more speed to customers if we think that is the right thing to do both for those customers and commercially.

We have done 50Mbps and a series of upgrades and we will continue to give Virgin Media customers free upgrades on an equipment basis because we are the speed leader and we think it's going to continue as a way we do broadband."

Jon James, (Director of broadband) Virgin Media

Whilst Virgin's network is only available to around half the country, they are looking to expand this to other areas. Overhead cables on poles could allow them to reach a further one million customers and Virgin are currently trialling 50meg broadband delivered in this way in the Berkshire village of Woolhampton. This will leave some people with the only option being broadband served from a BT phone line, and therefore limited to the up to 40meg broadband packages which Virgin say only average around 25meg in speed.

Comments

Posted by Gamerwillz over 6 years ago
There are ISPs including Virgin Media are going forward increasing their speeds. But in my area, I'm still stuck on 8Mb broadband. Come on!!
Posted by Drefsab over 6 years ago
Personally I don't want 400mbit speeds atm, I have 50mbit from virgin, and 40mbit FTTC, the thing I want on my virgin line is faster upload.

I already can download HD films faster than I can watch it, sure maybe faster speeds as things progress but currently 400mbit download wouldnt let me do anything more than I can do with my 50mbit, yet static IP's or faster upload would.
Posted by acpsd775 over 6 years ago
@Drefsab I read somewhere that in the next 12 months or so virgin are aiming to make the upload 10% of the download no matter what package your on so 10/1 20/2 50/5 100/10 so maybe they are Finley listening to people on the upload issues
Posted by JohnUK over 6 years ago
VM need to delivery quality unhindered 50mbit 1s and remove their draconian throttling.
Posted by herdwick over 6 years ago
IIRC 98.8% of Virgin Media customers prefer speeds of 20M or less over the 50M offer ?
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
Uptake on 50Mb is so low I can't really see the point of this, other than 'look what we can do BT'.

Hope they are going to have clear stipulations that you need gigebit network adaptors/routers to get the most of this :P

Can imagine many complaints of people only getting around 80~90Mb throughput... lol
Posted by EnglishRob over 6 years ago
What I'm wondering is if they provide free upgrades, say 10 to 20 Meg, 20 to 50 Meg, 50 to 100Meg etc, would they provide replacement modems for the folks on 20 Meg so they could get 50 Meg?

I'd like 50 Meg, but to be honest sometimes having a faster upload speed would be handy (for instance uploading family home videos to Facebook for the rest of the family takes ages, especially at 720p!)

Rob
Posted by doowles over 6 years ago
Its all about the upload, why don't telco's get it yet?
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
@EnglishRob - I highly doubt that they will give away the hardware for free, thats a lot of hardware to pass out, a heck of a lot.

Remember, they always send an engineer out to switch them over.

@doowles - For a small percentage its all about upload, but for 99.9% of internet users it doesn't really matter. I would want more, but the majority just don't require it.
Posted by Dixinormous over 6 years ago
Serious hype-monster running here. The modems can do 400Mbps, so what? The service was released at 512kbps on modems capable of 38Mbps.

Total non-issue and pure Fibre To The Press Release. The modem silicon has dropped in price and 8x4 modems are a negligible cost increment over their present, not very good 4x4 modems.
Posted by djfunkdup over 6 years ago
the future is bright...the future is virgin media..bring it on..that's all i can say..;)
Posted by csimon over 6 years ago
I see you have a poll to gauge whether there is any demand for higher speeds. It seems Virgin have already dismissed rolling out any sort of service at all to where there are speeds lower than, say 2Mbps. Might it not be more informative to ask how many people would like a stable connection and higher speeds than 2Mbps that an infrastrucutre like virgin could provide, rather than how many people who already have 50Mbps and greater want 400Mbps? You never know, there might actually be more people wanting that, but that might tell them something they don't want to know...
Posted by tommy45 over 6 years ago
All fine and dandy for the minority of peeps who are in a area with cable, but if you ain't, your stuck with the moldy copper pair and it's legacy of problems
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
@csimon: The article does say that they're looking to extend their coverage. Hopefully, that will encompass some of the people who have access to sub 2Mbps or no access to broadband at all as they're not in a cabled area and can't get ADSL either, but watch the actions, not the words - it's still not a plan for the final third, but perhaps a best hope.
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
They are only going to cover viable areas where they will get cash back, once access to all poles and ducts is fully open this area will extend as it will be cheaper/easier to roll out their network. Wouldn't expect them to really cover much of the final 3rd at all really.

My issue, is their network is sooo overloaded. I pay for 20Mb, the line is more than capable of it, but over the last 6 months I have dropped to around 5~10Mb. Still quicker than ADSL here, but they are just too over subscribed in this area.
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
I'd have thought the most viable new areas are going to be new/newish build estates which are just at the edge of the current coverage area and can easily be wired up (even more so with shared access to existing ducting) - and quite often those are on the edge of towns which have no access to ADSL or miserably slow speeds. It won't do anything for our village, but should bring a fair few more people within reach of broadband. We hope, anyway :-)
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
One thing I do hope is that cyberdoyle gets VM in their area so they will finally shut up about copper/fibre for a short while....
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
No they'll be no let up if that happens, just the guns turned on VM instead and their coax cabal.
Posted by Dixinormous over 6 years ago
To answer EnglishRob there are no plans, at all, to upgrade 20Mbps customers to 50. It's not even been considered, costs would be huge.
Posted by frontieruk over 6 years ago
Well another VM speed increase I can't take advantage of, walk 50 meters left or right from the end of my road and I could damn them!
Posted by jtthedevil over 6 years ago
Yes with my 0.5MB service, I would hate to be stuck on a 40MB line......
Everyone pays, the haves, have more the rest make do....
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
Can't really complain about VM unless you're on their 50Mb package, you know what happens if you choose 10/20Mb :)

This shouldn't be about what we need either, VM should market the best package and let people choose, even if not many go for it they are at least addressing a market niche.

The government is the real problem here, the fibre tax must be killing VM.

Damn socialists!
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
At 400Mb/s it would only take a couple of downloaders to swamp the neighbourhood cable. ISTM they are relying on not very many people taking up the offer.
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
@otester:'socialists'?
Posted by Dixinormous over 6 years ago
VM don't pay the fibre tax on their access network otester they pay a lower rate level especially for CATV companies which is charged per home passed.

Contrary to your apparent belief most people just want to stream a bit here and there, browse and get email, hence why only 70k of 4 million customers use 50M. Most people don't want or need to download the Internet. Everyone however has the right to expect a reasonable quality from their service.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
Good luck to Virgin i say, unlike some atleast they want to bring truely fast speeds to this country and are also willing to expand.
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
@CB - Subtle dig at BT there... like it...

I suppose a £2.5 billion investment means they don't want to bring fast speeds to the country or are willing to expand...
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
Virgin have been talking about expanding for years but haven't done a thing. More people want access to Virgin broadband than existing customers want faster speeds. What is this average of 25meg for FTTC they talk of? I'll admit I only know of a few people that have it at the moment but every one I know of gets 39-40 down 9-10 up that's with a line length of over 300 metres to the cab. It would be interesting to hear where they are getting their figures from. Roll on opening up the ducts & poles for Sky and BE I say then we'll see some real action across a lot of the country not just 50%
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"What is this average of 25meg for FTTC they talk of? I'll admit I only know of a few people that have it at the moment but every one I know of gets 39-40 down 9-10 up that's with a line length of over 300 metres to the cab. It would be interesting to hear where they are getting their figures from."

Id be interested where you get yours from considering the lower tier option 1 BT FTTC services do not even come with that upload rate.
Option 2 £24.99 ?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
Oh so with regards to upload speeds you were only refering to 50% of the services available? The other 50% being option 1 with 2Mb up rates which you have no knowledge of? Oh and as it is FTTC download speed will fluctuate the further away from the cabinet you are. 25Mb as an average down rate to me sounds about right as an average speed for everyone on BT FTTC. Average speed for Upto 8Mb in this country is only about half that around 3Mb. Same thing happens on that further from exchange and cab slower it goes.
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
@CB - Learn to read.

"I'll admit I only know of a few people that have it at the moment but every one I know of gets 39-40 down 9-10 up that's with a line length of over 300 metres to the cab."

Never said national average or anything like that, it was out of the people he knows.

And was also querying where "What is this average of 25meg for FTTC they talk of?" comes from.

Learn to read.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
Eh? They are the same product just one has an artificial cap on the upload speed, please don't tell me you think they are provided any differently? And yes it does fluctuate depending on line length, 25Mb sounds right as an average.. based on what? Surely not on the current average on ADSL hahahah. So your saying that people's current distance to the exchange on ADSL is the same relative distance at to their cab for FTTC? Amazing logic
Posted by TaRkADaHl over 6 years ago
I know a few people on FTTC, and they all are around the 35~40Mb Synch speeds.

Does that constitue as a national average? No!

All it means that is in my experiance, I havent seen anyone getting rubbish speeds on this service and I want to see statistics and inforamtion relating to the averages for this service.

I'm sorry but "as an average down rate to me sounds about right" doesn't count as proper statistical data when you don't even understand how a countries network infrastructure works.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"Eh? They are the same product just one has an artificial cap on the upload speed, please don't tell me you think they are provided any differently?"

Actually its more than that, read the terms, the option 2 product has better priority on traffic.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"Surely not on the current average on ADSL hahahah. So your saying that people's current distance to the exchange on ADSL is the same relative distance at to their cab for FTTC? Amazing logic"

Perhaps if im so wrong you could provide average distances to cabinet and from that we can then calculate an average speed loss. You are also aware some areas actually need new cabinets but still have not got them due to local community not wanting them and other reasons so in turn they suffer poor speeds? Give up the BT defending if i were you.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"I know a few people on FTTC, and they all are around the 35~40Mb Synch speeds.

Does that constitue as a national average? No!"

Exactly TaRkADaHl :) We all also know or i hope we do sync speed does not equal real life speed..... No doubt Gman99 will argue though.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago

It might well be the average, I'm asking where these figures come from, that's not too taxing for a Friday aft is it?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"I'm not defending BT, I'm asking where Virgin's average of 25meg came from, your defending Virgin's statistics and you don't even know where they came from or if they are true!"

I never said they were true i stated "25Mb as an average down rate to me sounds about right as an average speed for everyone on BT FTTC."

I state that as i comprehend not everyone gets the full 39-40Mb as you seem to think from your limit experience of others on the service. 25-30Mb as an average sounds entirely plausible and realistic when talking average speed of a UPTO 40Mb service.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
If that sounds unresonable id like to here what you think sounds plausible for an average speed on an UPTO 40Mb product, it certainly isnt the 39-40Mb rates you have seen from limited users. 25Mb sounds perfectly resonable and is more than likely bang on, no idea where they got it from but if you do not think it is true id like to hear why.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
But why do you believe those figures, based on what? If you don't know the average line length to the cab across the UK how can you say it sounds right? Why don't you think the average is 15Mb or 35?

If we knew that the average household is 1000m from the cab and with FTTC you can only sync at 25Mb at that distance... yep I'm agreeing. But we don't know that, does BT even know that?

I certainly don't think everyone will get 39-40Mb at all, my point was and still is where does this figure come from as I'd be interested to know line lengths of installs that run at 25Mb
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@AndrueC

Are you trying to say you don't think this country is socialist/communist?

@Dixinormous

Still a tax which is inhibiting progress.

And most people don't download a lot because they don't know they can.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"......Why don't you think the average is 15Mb or 35?"

As i said 25Mb sounds a plausible figure as an average. If it were 15Mb i would say thats poor (that would mean people on average only get 40% of its potential as an average). If it were 35Mb that would be unrealistic as that would mean average speed is around 90% of its fullest. No service which has copper in it is going to give around 90% of its potential max speed..... So 25Mb not only sounds resonable i imagine its probably pretty accurate.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
But as you don't know the average line length its of course... meaningless.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
FTTC Sync Speed is entirely dependant on the length and quality of the cable from the home to the cab, a much shorter run (obviously) than to the exchange as it is now. The install I'm referring to can do 39-40 down at 360meters, what if that is the average line length? I'm not saying it is I'm saying I'm not sure anyone actually knows that average line length so you can't calculate and average without that figure
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
@otester:Lol - no, I was asking what you meant.

Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
http://www.leyingitout.co.uk/2010/04/my-superfast-fttc-broadband-installation-story/ Interesting read, this guy is 0.6km from his cab and tested at a full 40down 10up, even 100down before changes were made.
Posted by laser over 6 years ago
BT Infinity Option 2 went live on Monday 7/6/10 at 13:00 all up & running by 14:30 first test 38Mb Down,8mb up exchange Woolwich LSWOO Cab No:1 3.7 miles from exchange & 650 meters from cab to my house info by BT engineer all from his laptop
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
That's good to hear. I mean the distance from the exchange is irrelevant on FTTC as its fibre but 650 metres to cab and getting 38 is good, very interesting.
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
What's this nonsense in one thread on here about people being turned down for FTTC because they are too far from the cabinet then :-)

Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
No it doesn't matter which way you look at it, that's what we are getting for now.... :)

If it (FTTC) can indeed do 100 down I'm pretty sure that would do most people for many years to come.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@AndrueC

"But no, the UK is not socialist or communist. Certainly not communist. It's primarily capitalist with a socialist undercurrent."

Ok here goes, the 10 points of communism (Marxist):

1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes. (Queen owns your land)
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax. (22% for those over the minimum bracket ~£5.5k)
3. Abolition of all right of inheritance. (Nearly there)
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels. (Gun control, taxation, getting sent to Guantanamo Bay etc.)
5. Centralisation of credit in the hands of the State, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly. (Had this since 1694)
6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State. (Government has control over all transport and can abolition franchises at will (ie: Connex))
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan. (Bailouts)
8. Equal liability of all to labour. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture. (Not sure if this applies)
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country, by a more equitable distribution of the population over the country. (Extinction of the family farm. Urbanization of England.)
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children's factory labour in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production. (Enough said.)

"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher

"Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

“Always love your country — but never trust your government!" - Robert Novak
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
In addition to 8; Minimum wage.
Posted by tazz_uk over 6 years ago
Sort out the slow speeds for people on the 10Mb package first - lots of people complaining on your own forums! Sort that before promising speeds which you cannot deliver! swines!
Posted by Oddball over 6 years ago
Enjoy your 400mb connection. With your 5GB cap. Oh yeah and throttling and spying on your traffic etc ;)
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"But as you don't know the average line length its of course... meaningless."

Why did you even question the stated 25Mb average in the first place then? If neither of us know, why are you so sure it is inaccurate?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"Doesn't matter which way you look at it, the future doesn't have anything to do with copper and aliminium telephone lines."

Indeed, BT defenders will defend BT no matter what and attack what is clearly a faster and better service.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"I'm questioning where they got this figure from, again its not hard to understand surely?"

I dont see what difference it makes the average speed on BT fibre isnt going to be the max quoted 40Mb... Whether the 25Mb guess is right or not Virgin are faster.
BT is not the broadband future in this country, LLU ADSL2+ was the start in denting them, and now fibre companies will be the end.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
No-one said the average would be 40, Virgin says its 25Mb. I'd like to know the source, sorry that doesn't fit in with your failed argument that you keep trying to change into something else. I'm sticking with commenting on the article.
Posted by Somerset over 6 years ago
Posted by CaptainHulaHoop over 6 years ago
@tark
I don't think open poles and ducts will make a difference to VM expanding coverage, where I live they are not interested in cabling new estates that are next to estates that are already served
Posted by CaptainHulaHoop over 6 years ago
And these are the cheapest places to expand to.
With Vm making about 200 million pounds losses last year and this year not looking much better I wouldn't expect much expansion at all.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"cb - is that the end of LLU companies? Will be interesting to see how many companies roll out FTTP."
Could be who knows. One thing is certain when others start to deliver faster fibre services BT will be playing catchup AGAIN, just like they did with LLU and ADSL2+. It doesnt even have to be FTTH/FTTP, FTTC can do much more than 40Mb which is what BT currently flog
Posted by Somerset over 6 years ago
Posted by gobbybobby over 6 years ago
If I could get 400Meg down 100 meg up for less than £35 with no download limit I would be hosting some dedicated Game servers! Instead I stuck on 1.5meg down 448k up and can just host a 4 player halo 1 PC server!
Posted by Somerset over 6 years ago
gb - Maybe you need a business product.
Posted by CaptainHulaHoop over 6 years ago
But u can't get 400 down and 100 up unlimited for under 35. There would be massive traffic shaping or other things limiting u, or u would have to pay more, the data costs would be huge
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"However rolling out FTTC is faster and cheaper than FTTP. How much demand is there for greater then 40M?"

How much demand was there for 8Mb products when they came along?? How much demand was there for upto 24Mb and similar when that came along? Nowadays those arer the norm, demand for faster services happens over time, the company that supplys first often wins in the specific area of demand. 8Mb from BT was a success, they were first... ADSL2+ from LLUs is more successful than BTs ADSL2+ as LLUs were first..... Same will happen with fast fibre services.
Posted by Somerset over 6 years ago
For many it will be FTTC soonish, FTTP maybe never.

HD video was always the application that needed the bandwidth, anything that needs more we can think of?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
Technicaly theres no such thing as HD video on the net at the moment unless you download bluray movies illegally. Iplayer HD stuff isnt really HD, neither is youtube HD stuff or even those movies you may stream on Playstation and similar. They may have HD resolution but rarely have the framerate or bitrate to be anything near to True HD... To get that and stream it, we will need more than 40Mb speeds (A bluray movie for example can be 20+gig, HD download movies for now are re-encoded down to around 2gig).
Posted by Somerset over 6 years ago
What rate is HD via satellite?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"What rate is HD via satellite?"

Depends on country, channel, container and codec used, how many video streams and audio streams are jammed into the frequency range, infact even the time of day makes a difference. Some channels clock in around the 14000Kbps mark though, and that can be just for the video. Even then HD via cable and satelite can look rubbish in high detail scenes, with picture artifating and general blockiness. Not a good example of what true HD should look like im afriad. though satelite is slowly getting there (atleast overseas).
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
To give you an idea of how poor some so called HD satelite TV is, a movie on it can be as low as 10000Kbps while the same movie in virtually the same codec on a bluray disk can exceed 40000Kbps.
Posted by MarkHampshire over 6 years ago
I'd thought that VM's fibre-coax network was capable of delivering 2Gbps to the home: with that in mind, and commercial issues, this article really only serves as a reminder that their network is next-gen ready and as others have said there's no "need" for 400Mbps now. Not yet. Though how far away is the need - might be sooner than we think. For me the most interesting part is the expanding coverage comments; with access to existing ducting, this could be very significant and bring broadband to new areas which don't have it and provide a partial solution to the "final third".
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@CB

@MH

DOCSIS 3.0 currently only covers up to ~445Mbps/~122Mbps (400/100).
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"@CB If compressed correctly a 10Mbps video can be very hard to distinguish from a 40Mbps video."

On a small screen maybe, on a larger screen 40inches and up its very easy to tell the difference. A film shown on a Sky HD satelite channel compared to the bluray will look absolutely rubbish and so do all those 1-2gig downloads from internet services. Movies with lots of dark scenes compress better than those with lots of motion or detail.
Posted by I_GT_I over 6 years ago
Posted by herdwick 6 days ago

thats cos 98.8% of internet users are retarded and dont know the difference between a megabit and a megabyte!
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
^^^ Not to mention but is their 50Mb service unavailable to some areas still? That may also be a reason 20Mb subs are higher.
Posted by sylvantos over 6 years ago
i think its all bull...uptake as been slow because of their anal prices..they are very anti competitive. as for upload speeds dont believe everything you read..99% of upload dont want faster upload speed? thats absolute crap. The amount of people ringing up on the 50mb line asking for the fair share of their upload speed..where do these idiotic clowns at the isps get off telling us and making 'stuff up' to save themselves some lolly..sorry no i cant stand liars and every single telco is a liar, honesty is something the people who run it would not know about.

Posted by sylvantos over 6 years ago

I pay nearly 40£ then they should open the damned thing up, and give me 20% and stop molly coddling us...isp's are under the impression every single person is absolute idiot there to be taken..virgin are a prime example of it, they continously make stuff, throw stuff down our necks and other such things. such as the non existant reduced xl skysports/movies packages...its absolute farce when their own channels are soon to be bought by sky...sigh
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"so yeah get those upload speed to at least 20% of the download speed and quite the throttling...you dont get this garbage in the states on cable."

Er yes you do, infact cable companies out there are currently in battle about whether they can continue to traffic shape.
Posted by sylvantos over 6 years ago
in the states you get a decent upload speed. here 50mbps down and 1.5mbps upload. In the states with comcast as an example 10mbps down and 5mbps up. Lots of cables companies out there offer great upload speeds, while we are stuck in the dark ages. Id even be happy to have a slightly reduced download speed if I could have at least 5 mbps upload.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
quote"in the states you get a decent upload speed......"

Again you are wrong, basic home cable services out in the states have upload rates very similar to what we get here..... Not to be rude but you dont know what you are talking about...... If you had said Sweeden as an example get better services than us you would of had a point. The USA though is pretty similar to us except for a few areas that have Fios.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
5Mb upload rates is NOT the norm.... Its not even close to being the norm for the USA.
Posted by aj2703 over 6 years ago
What i want to know is that if you d/l a movie at full speed how long will this take..?? Would the average pc even be able to write it at the speed it is receiving it...?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 6 years ago
That would depend on alot of things aj2703 including the method you are downloading the movie, PC spec (HDD speed and configuration, amount of ram and its speed along with to a lesser extent CPU speed)... Your average laptop especially netbooks though as you hint at suggesting would be a bottleneck. Modern desktop PCs not so much (depending on setup).