Digital Region Broadband available in South Yorkshire
Tuesday 27 April 2010 17:31:55 by John Hunt

Digital Region announced the go-live of their fibre network in South Yorkshire at the end of last year, a regional project to deploy 'superfast broadband' to the area. Work is now under way to connect up homes and business so that they can access services that are provided over the network.

Digital Region Broadband is one such company which is deploying services on this network with broadband products aimed at business users starting to become available through the use of fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and fibre to the premises (FTTP) technology. Current coverage stands at around 20%, with a full rollout expected by May 2012. The Digital Region website offers a postcode checker to advise when service will be available in your area.

The Digital Region Broadband FTTC based products offer up to 20Meg (from £30/month) and 40Meg (from £40/month) download speeds and include a business telephone service. A 10Meg symmetric product is also available offering an uncontended leased-line for £300/month. Faster fibre products offering 100Meg speeds or faster can be deployed for businesses and these may see a significant saving over existing providers such as BT. Digital Region Broadband can also offer wholesale services to other ISPs looking to deploy on the network in South Yorkshire.

One of the challenges in place to make the Digital Region a success is to try and convince people why they need this extra speed that the new service provides. A similar issue exists in other areas shown best perhaps by the 41,400 customers Virgin had on their 50meg product out of the 4.1million (around 1%) at the end of last year. For home users, the killer application is mainly video and a video network is reportedly in discussions to deliver services in the Digital Region.

Comments

Posted by christopherlyon over 6 years ago
I'm just wondering. This service is due to be enables in my area Late 2011. My exchange is due for a FTTC upgrade December this year (Mosborough Exchange)Surely it will be a waste of time as I would have thought that more service providers would want to use BT's due to it been a nationwide standard?
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
This news is about a month old anyway... The pricing is new though, and the pricing would also be dependent on service providers...of which as far as I know none have yet been announced...
Posted by seb (Favicon staff member) over 6 years ago
@haydnwalker: This is a service provider on the Digital Region backbone.
Posted by djrw1 over 6 years ago
christoperlyon: People wont want to use BT because they don't have the choice (BT are only enabling two exchanges in South Yorkshire, Ranmoor and Beauchief).
Posted by KarlAustin over 6 years ago
lolol, £30 for 20Mbit on a 2 year contract, hardly ground breaking stuff when you consider it's within about £2 of Be Pro + Phone Line and more than the standard Be offering (which it is more in line with). I really do think it's a big waste of tax payers money.
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
@seb Apologies - With them having a very similar name to the project itself it was easy to associate the two.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
According to DR the service was supposed to be available from 31/03/2010 in my area, and still waiting - spoke to them yesterday they only have business isp's signed up with consumers hoping to be able to use the network in a month or so. Also both BT and Virgin are in talks with them to use their network
Posted by mconstantine over 6 years ago
It seems one of the ISPs failed to be mentioned is RiPWiRE @ http://www.ripwire.co.uk/ and based in my home town, Rotherham. I look forward to seeing how their prices compare and whether any more stiff competition comes forth to create the ultimate pricing war.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
I've already spoken to Ripwire today - alledgedly they are looking to start signing up consumers within the next few weeks, there maybe a setup fee and pricing to be around £25 - there will be no restrictions in place so you can stream iplayer, skyplayer, ondemand, without getting capped @ 100GB and then put on a minimum 30day restriction of 1mb connection like BT currently do.
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
I spoke to DRB earlier today and someone is supposed to be phoning me back. I'm not impressed that you need a BT Line to get services though as nowhere does it state that it's a pre-requisite (I currently have a Virgin Media phone service etc). I spoke to RipWire also today and the lady on the other end of the phone didn't really know if they were going to do consumer services at all.
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
I don't mind the 100GB cap because I don't download or use anywhere near that much. If RipWire and DRBL put more information for consumers on their sites as opposed to businesses, then it would be a bit more useful for us I think.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
I asked to speak to someone who knew more about the service @ Ripwire that's how i got the info, as the initial person I spoke to didn't know - the same when I spoke to DR asked to speak someone technical
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
Hi Everyone, My name is Liam Winder MD of RiPWiRE. Our core service on this network for consumers will be: Up to 40Mb broadband. Our operators are currently being trained on these services and should be up to speed soon to answer your questions. The service does not require you to pay for a BT line; we use the copper to provide the VDSL2 service from the Cab in the street. Please keep checking back on our website for order details and pricing and be sure to pre-register to have us contact you as soon as we can provide service at www.ripwire.co.uk/digital-region (Post limited to 600 Characters)
Posted by djrw1 over 6 years ago
Hi Liam. Can you confirm that you include BT line rental in your price, as described above?
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
When I spoke to the nice man at Digital Region Broadband he said they use the Openreach loop and so (with them at least) I would need a BT Line.

@RipWire: Will RipWire be providing any trials before full roll out? I'll be a willing customer if I don't need to arrange for a BT Line installation (as that would be rather expensive :))
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
Hi, The BT line will be included in the price of the service; if you do not have one then we will install a line for you. The setup fee which we have yet to finalise will be the same even if we have to install a new line. The line will be unbundled at the cab in the street and moved on to our VDSL2 network.
We have been involved with the network for some time and so will be launching our services as a fully available tested service.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Will we have to supply our own routers or would these be provided and if so would there be a cost, as with BT Infinity the equipment will be free - also it's nice to finally get someone information on it rather than consumers being left in the dark
Posted by s0nic over 6 years ago
KarlAustin "hardly ground breaking stuff when you consider it's within about £2 of Be Pro + Phone Line and more than the standard Be offering (which it is more in line with). I really do think it's a big waste of tax payers money."

It is pretty ground breaking if you're based in South Yorkshire like me, living in a non-cable area and the only LLU service is TalkTalk.
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
As its a VDSL2 service its delivered in a slightly different way to standard DSL. A piece of equipment is provided that is similar to the Virgin Cable modem. It will provide an ethernet port and wireless function but I would imagine that some consumers would want to use thier own equipment as well if they need to do any kind of port forwarding etc. We will likely be offering this during the order process.
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
Just to give you an idea of the service; its up to 40Mb download and up to 10Mb upload. There will be an assured service level that currently stands at 10Mb which means you will always get 10Mb download on our network. I think this is the reason that the network is so impresive, I have been involved in the industry for some time and have never been able to offer a truly assured broadband service before.
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
To achieve an assured level of service a business would have to take a product such as a Leased Line or other dedicated circuit such as WiMAX or licensed Microwave. These are costly services which really opens up some possibilities for small businesses in the region that may have been hindered by poor broadband performance but could not make the jump to these types of services.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
where i live BT can only offer max 2mb at a push on ADSL2+ on standard maxDSL it's 512kb-1.5mbps - so I for one am looking forward to this as I live about 450ft from the cabinet so will get a good connection and I would rather pay a company £10 more a month for a decent speed with no caps allowing me to use the internet for what it is advertised for - so all I can say is I can't wait to get on the service
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
I'm probably less than 450ft from the cabinet. I currently pay £20/month from virgin for my 10mb down/0.5mb up connection, I don't do a major amount of downloading but I must admit, it takes ages for a Linux ISO DVD to come down... Also when theres 5 Laptops and an XBOX in the house, the 40meg would be rather useful :) Thanks for the info RipWire :-)
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
well think what it's like for me with a current max connection of 2mb - 3 pc's, 1 server, 1 pch-200, 1 360, 1 wii, 2 laptops - a linux iso takes all night sometimes longer to download. I do a lot of online gaming, but also like to stream video which will use up the bandwidth. So I would rather pay RipWire £25-30 for a connection which will be between 10-40mb than pay BT £25 for a 2mb connection @ most with stupid caps on when they sell it as unlimited...
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
@walkerx - I see your point...can't wait for these services, I hope some other ISPs sign up for some competition too.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
May look expensive but it's fully unlimited.

BT's FTTC is very limited as BT charge for usage unlike DR.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@haydnwalker

£38 and you can get 50Mb...
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
@otester: yeah but the upstream sux (1.5meg) and theres lots of capacity issues and would take my monthly bill up to over £50
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
where i live there is no virgin network, so limited to BT network and any ISP that use it can only offer max 2mb - BT were touting infinity @ 1 stage but that's no longer mentioned for barnsley - but even so they want £23 for upto 40mb and are capping users when they reach 100gb within a few days - like i say i rather pay that little extra for a totally unlimited highspeed connection and then not have to worry about being throttled for 30 days
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@haydnwalker

Capacity issues are on the DOCSIS 2 network not DOCSIS 3 which the 50Mb uses, I've never heard of any speed problems which weren't hardware faults on DOCSIS 3.

I plan on getting it in the summer when I move.

Oh and remember you can always get skype unlimited landlines for ~£4 so no phone line needed, which is what I assume you meant about the over £50 thing.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@haydnwalker

I plan on getting it in the summer when I move.

Posted by otester over 6 years ago
^mod might wanna fix that
Posted by KarlAustin over 6 years ago
"BT's FTTC is very limited as BT charge for usage unlike DR."

How long do you think it'll be after the leechers etc. have jumped onboard and they have to introduce capacity limits or traffic shaping? Easy to do no limits when you've got lots of new capacity and hardly any users. Unless it's in writing in a contract I'd take no notice of the "no limits or caps" - same as I wouldn't take any notice no matter what network it was unless the contract specifically stated it and couldn't be changed on a whim.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@KarlAustin

Leechers???? Don't you mean...customers??

Just because you can't use your bandwidth efficiently to get optimal value for money doesn't mean everyone else can't/shouldn't.

Also if ISPs can dedicate 16Mb via LLU and VM can handle unmetered 50Mb (yeah they can't monitor it yet) then I think DR will be fine with 40Mb.

It doesn't say anything in the contract about limits/FUP etc.
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
VM can provide 50MB but the upstream is the thing that gets me on the DRL network. 10MB Upload...which is 25% of the download. VMs 50/1.5 makes the upstream just 3% of the downstream, which barely covers overheads on the data stream.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Had a message left on AM from DR advising that there is a delay with the service, and the cabinet I will be connecting too hasn't been commissioned yet and could be another 1-2 months, meaning it could be June before we get the service which would be 3 months behind the activation date of 31/03/2010 - they also stated they have a few isp's now signed up but didn't disclose who they were, but that their website will be updated soon (last update was 11th March and they've been saying that ever since).. If I get any more info will post
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@hadynwalker

Apparently there going to do 10Mb upload and 100Mb download by the end of the year.
Posted by PeteK over 6 years ago
Interesting a quick search seems to imply Ripwire don't have an ASN or their own netblock, which I guess is partially ratified by the fact they use GoDaddy for webhosting and Google for email. It kind of hints at a reseller rather than someone with infrastructure of their own..
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
We use Godaddy for our webhosting to host our external website. We have infrastructure throughout the UK and are currently the only established ISP on the Digital Region network.

We use IP addresses from Tier 1 upstream providers, we feel its a more effective use of IP addressing for us.

We adpoted Google Apps for email as we think its simply fantastic!
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
@Ripwire: Any Other information available yet? Pricing etc? Before I make a decision I need to know what your release pricing/offers will be available.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
M contract with BT ends soon and I don't want them to put be on another 12 month contract, but I'm also interested in the costs per month, setup fees, costs for transfer, how long it will take to be installed from original order, etc, etc. If DR says they haven't commissioned the cabinets would RipWire push them to complete the commissioning if got enough orders in an area
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
@haydnwalker - Hi, we will be releasing our pricing by next week. It will be published on our website.

@walkerx - We will take this back to SYDR (South Yorkshire Digital Region) and see what escalation procedures are in place.
Posted by KarlAustin over 6 years ago
So does Ripewire run it's own ASN? Or even BGP with private ASN to multi-home it's outside connectivity? Or are these DSL lines effectively single-homed? I am genuinely interested in what providers are doing, as it does all seem a bit shambolic right now (the whole SYDR, not one company in particular), which is a shame as we've a cab right outside our front door.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
@Ripwire, thanks - i know our cables and cabinets were installed in February and SYDR originally stated everything was installed and ready to go live once isp's came on board - but the message about the cabinet not being commissioned was left on my answer phone with them stating 1 to 2 months :( - also they now saying they have a 2nd isp signed up and hopefully more to follow soon
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
@walkerx - AFAIK, RipWire and Digial Region Broadband Ltd (2 separate companies) are currently signed up to SYDR as I've been trying to find out if any more well known ISPs are involved but so far I've gotten nowhere.
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
@KarlAustin - Sorry that's more a question for our TDA. But I can say that we will be connecting in to the SYDR network via two points which will give us sufficient continuity due to the way the SYDR network has been built.
Posted by KarlAustin over 6 years ago
Hi, fair enough, would like to know the answer though. Connecting to SYDR network at two points doesn't mean a lot if it's single homed out to the net. With £100m they could have handled all of this a lot better IMHO.
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
@KarlAustin - Our connection is multi, I'm just not the best quilified to answer as its our TDA that decides the final design. Also as I'm sure you are aware given your experience that networks evolve very quickly as demand changes so I wouldnt want to make any statement that will live on forever on this thread if its out of date in a couple of weeks:)
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
The SYDR network is just an access network, its really up to the ISP's how they actually deliver the transit. So far we have been very impressed with the design and failover capabilities of the network and have designed our inter-connect to compliment this.
Posted by PeteK over 6 years ago
@Ripewire - so can you provide one of your IP addresses on the network - a DNS server or something?
Posted by tikka69 over 6 years ago
@KarlAustin,

Just wondering how you think the 100m could have been better spent ?

The transit to the internet is the responsibility of the content providers and not Digital Region, as Ripwire says.

Posted by KarlAustin over 6 years ago
I'm well aware with whom the responsibility for transit lies - hence asking Ripwire if they were multi-homed or not (and not getting an answer).

As for the £100m - 600 characters isn't going to do that any justice.
Posted by tikka69 over 6 years ago
@KarlAustin

Guessing you must work for a service provider or a business that falls within the SY area.

Only curious as I am working on it :o)
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Don't forget quite a lot of the 100m will have gone towards laying the cable as it's not cheap to do, as they have to apply for planning permission, get authorisation for digging up roads, cost of fibre alone is expensive, etc, etc
Posted by KarlAustin over 6 years ago
Nope, don't work in a competing area to SYDR, we don't do low end access products :)

They don't have to apply for planning permission, they'll have code powers. For the boxes yes, but for the trenching no. Fibre itself isn't that expensive either, it's the labour that costs, although I'm willing to bet a great deal of the money has gone on "admin".
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
with digitial region not updating their website because they are implementing a new one which won't be ready for another few weeks or more, has anyone heard any more info on what is happening and when likely to start seeing the service....
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
RipWire noted that they were supposed to be releasing pricing information this week...but as yet thats all i've heard. Also heard DRB were starting trials in the Doncaster area within 6 weeks
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Tried ringing RipWire to get further updates - but nothing - switchboard can't put you through to anybody who knows what's happening - keep promising to ring back but never do. No updated information on their website either :(
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
Well...stil no emails/updated website/anything from any of the DRL Broadband providers. Methinks something has gone horribly wrong :-S
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
well DR phoned me on Friday and stated that my cabinet was being comissioned and it should be active soon after testing. Now thing is BT were showing both ADSL2+ & Infinity for June 2010, with the exchange being upgraded in March 2010. Now from looking at the delays from DR, no info from RipWire I have a feeling nothing will be available for another month. Also it should be noted BT are supplying hardware&setup FOC for Infinity... Is this going to be same for DR and any ISP that uses them....
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
DR do provide modem (much like a cable modem) and setup.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Well IMO it's all starting to look like a total shambles, no-one seems to know @ ripwire what is going on, they have no staff available for enquires, they don't bother ringing back - is this an indication of the kind of support they will give to consumers when they finally start providing the service. So for a service that should have started at the end of March 2010 for most users, it's probably going to be a few more months down the line. They need to start doing something as they have cables laid, cabinets commissioned but no service due to no ISP's
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
further update - DRB can supply @ £45pm - no caps, no restrictions - 12 month contract and £75 setup fee which includes router.. looking at in my area end of June 2010, which is what BT were saying regarding Infinity at one stage..
Posted by haydnwalker over 6 years ago
They've told me that its £20+VAT for first 12 months under their trial. From what I gathered when I spoke to DRB yesterday, there isn't much takeup at the moment and they are focussing on business rather than consumers (though the guy said they wouldn't stop consumers signing up)
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
I got told the same yesterday about their focus, but was also told it was £45pm and £75 setup - if they done the trial in my area code (S7) then would esaily sign-up if got it for £20+vat
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
@RipWire - have you any further news updates on what is happening as information seems to have gone dead
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
We are now in the final stages of our pricing and will be publishing on our website shortly. Our staff are being trained on the new products but have little information to give at this point in time. Due to the overwhelming interest we cannot reply to each enquiry on an individual basis but will provide a full update via email and phone once we have a definitive go live date to those that have expressed an interest via email or our call centre.
Posted by Ripwire over 6 years ago
Please understand we do not monitor this comments thread on a regular basis but will endeavour to keep everyone updated as much as possible. We expect to be providing some updates via Twitter and blog.ripwire.co.uk in the coming days on pricing and availability.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
@RipWire - thanks for the update - we appreciate it takes time and a lot of people are eager to get switched over to a better internet connection.

I know DRB were saying within the next 4 weeks (ie end of June)
Posted by snoon over 6 years ago
On Communications offer DR Services to business customers throughout the region - DR paired with our Fixed Wireless Access (FWA)offer a service totally independent of BT. Please see our website for further info...
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
It's a shame only businesses are being catered for at the moment. if opened to consumers for the right price then there should be a huge uptake of the service. Delayed by over 2 months at the moment for consumers. think DR need to update the details on the website...
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
hopefully not much longer before the service is activated - heard ripwire are hoping to go live by August 2010
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Digital Region now officially advertising Ripwire & DRB as the first 2 ISP's for the DigitalRegion Network - Even though we've known for a few months now, it looks like services could be starting soon if they are willing to finally advertise it...
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
I've already signed up with Digital Region Broadband and am due to be activated in a couple of days.

From what I've been told (by DRBSY), the majority of the hold-ups are down to the usual suspects - BT Openreach, who are responsible for carrying out the work to transfer the service at the cabinets.

I'm hopeful. I'm just waiting to see if the activation goes ahead on the scheduled date. I'll update this thread again letting you all know either way.
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
Yay! Modem received this morning in readiness for activation tomorrow! This is going to be an interesting time. Hopefully of the nice variety.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
hey tazandpig have you been activated yet, are you a business customer or residential as heard they were only doing business and fee would be £45pm + Setup Fees + Hardware Fees - is this correct?
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
Walkerx - we're (supposed to be) on the 'HomeWorker' package - £40 monthly with a £75 install charge. The supplied modem is 'free'.

Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
I feel I should add the following:

Sadly, after a few weeks waiting, Openreach (who carry out the initial work) ceased our previous service but have buggered activation of our DRBSY service - currently, we have no broadband connection whatsoever.

I don't know who to blame - DRBSY or Openreach, But I've gone from being positive and excited, to annoyed.

On the experience so far, I couldn't recommend them. Not until they sort the problems out. We've been left in a totally unacceptable situation'

I genuinely feel quite sad about saying that.
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
The tariffs can be found here:

Give them a call. They are the friendliest bunch I've ever dealt with on the phone. As I said, it's a real shame they are being let down by the unavoidable reliance upon BT Openreach for service transfer.
Just to update again....

The guys at Digital Region sorted the problem this morning. No fuss or messing about, it was just done.

Once again, I'm back to being impressed. If only BT/Virgin et al were as efficient.

Well done DRBSY!
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
nice one - do you pay up front - have they any limitations - did you have to buy another router or did u get that as well as the vdsl modem - is this a 12 month contract - as seems good for only £10pm more than BT Infinity package
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
Walkerx - Well of course you pay up front, just like everything else in life. If you mean how much and how far then it's quarterly or yearly billing. I don't mean to be rudem but did you actually LOOK at the tarrifs link I posted? It's all quite clear.

12 or 24 months contract - your choice. And yes, they supplied ALL necessary equipment (modem/router/WiFi access point).

And superb and responsive customer service, which is a breath of fresh air.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Some ISP's actually charge for the setup upfront while others add it to your monthly bill over the 1st 12 months - With BT they add any fees to your BT Bill so you don't have to pay everything upfront - in regards to the tarrifs they don't supply much info on them tbh (ie usage caps, restrictions) no info on brand of router and if it is 10/100/1000 or how many ports - is the router locked down like some providers - at £52pm I would expect setup to be free tbh, will wait to see what ripwire are offering as last time spoke to them it was going to be around £30pm
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
At the prices BT and Virgin charge, I'd expect installation to be free too - but they are not - I agree with your opinion that it SHOULD be free, sadly in most cases its not.

As far as I can tell, there are no limits/caps. But as I'm not a freetard/pointless leecher, I don't consider that a problem.

As for installation, it's added to the first bill - in the same way that BT do. I suggest you give them a call on an old fashioned phone if you need more info.

My last comment on this - I'm impressed with the service so far. And the customer service backing it up is seriously top-notch.
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
Oh and as for Ripwire.... they lost me as a prospective customer due to the fact that they seemed unable/unwilling to actually return calls asking for info.

As a couple of others have mentioned,that's something that didn't give me much confidence.

As they say, you get what you pay for. If Ripwire are cheaper, then good luck to them. But the fact that they are absolutely terrible at communicating with customers put me instantly off them.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
i'm no leecher, but have a network and I want to be able to use the internet without being penalised because i downloaded a couple of games from steam,streamed some films/videos from youtube, iplayer, skyplayer and a couple of linux iso's.

I agree about ripwire not getting back with information - the last time they rang me they told me they would have proper ordering in place by middle of july with installs to begin 1st august.

Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
DR have also updated their website to say 2 more providers have signed up, but again these do not look to be for standard consumers.

Currently, looking at the way things are progressing getting people onto the network they are behind 6-12months (Cable/Cabinet was installed by beginning of Feb 2010, Activation was Mar 2010, Cabinet commissioned June 2010, Still awaiting for someone to offer services to a standard consumer).

Forgot to ask, how long was it between signing up and being told you would be activated. Also did you have to supply a mac code?
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
Between sign-up and activation should be 10 working days or less.

But, as we all know, this depends on Openreach doing their job properly. Which the useless sods (my opinion) seem incapable of. So best to make an allowance of another couple of days.
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
Oh and yes, a MAC code is required.
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
In fact, I'd be rather concerned if a MAC code wasn't required. It's a part of the process thats for YOUR security as well as theirs.
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
As a final, final comment on this...

I've been activated. I'm impressed so far (especially with the customer service) and I think I've done the right thing.

Any other questions should be directed to Digital Region. I'm not their spokesperson and really - how difficult is it to pick up the phone and call them (not to mention quicker)?

Good luck with whoever you choose. Just remember that the experience isn't always the same for everyone. It's a chance you take.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
thanks for the update - but some of the question's i raised was from a customer point of view - not all businesses are upfront - and it is better to get information from customers who use the service - also can be quite difficult to ring during the day and by the time i get home from work it's late
Posted by tucky83 over 6 years ago
hi all, I got my DR internet sorted today after some messing about for 2 days,
the speeds are really fast but no wireless!!!
Posted by tazandpig over 6 years ago
tucky83 - a wireless router will sort that out (as I needed to do too).

Glad yours is quite fast, but have to admit I'm not impressed with the speeds I get - I'm averaging 7 to 8MB which isn't, in my opinion, acceptable. Pretty dreadful actually.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Ripwire are hoping to start in September - look to be using a locked-down (so can't change anything) router that uses the standard adsl port so doesn't need engineer to swap socket and pricing looks good as well
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
can i ask does the router you get with DRB connect to the standard adsl socket or not as BT upgrade the socket for their infinity to use RJ45 but I've heard the connection to DR is via the standard ADSL socket so no need for engineers
Posted by tikka69 over 6 years ago
Its RJ11 so standard DSL socket.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
thanks - it looks like ripwire might be supplying similar router as DRB - have you looked at it and found what is locked down (ie port-forwarding, access times, etc, etc)
Posted by tikka69 over 6 years ago
It is the same, its the Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 Residential gateway. End users will not have access to this device so will not be able to check line stats, etc. As far as I am aware it is the same on the BT Infinity service with the Openreach modems.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
@tikka69 - cheers for info - yeh i heard the routers were locked down which is bad really as users should be allowed to configure access, port forwarding, check for access attempts, etc, etc - i've been told that you should be ok for using it for bridging so will wait and see
Posted by tikka69 over 6 years ago

Hi @walkerx, the RG's are set in bridged mode , so users are adding kit behind for routing, firewalls, wireless, etc much like with the BT Infinity setup.

I know this as I have been setting them up ;o)
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
@tikka69 - thanks very much for the info - hopefully i'll be able to order next week with install within around 10 days or so - made me laugh when phoned BT for Mac-Code got someone from Doncaster who didn't know about the new network and was saying max i'll get is 1.5mb-2mb with any provider for quite some time - told him to check out the DR website
Posted by tikka69 over 6 years ago
Maybe I should ring the BT call centre as we have just enabled the cab right outside there premises and offer it to them.......... :o)
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago

I can't wait to be activated as once done I know a few others who are after it
Posted by tikka69 over 6 years ago

Let me know when your due date is, I will keep an eye out for it.......
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
cheers - from what i've been told ordering becomes available tomorrow with installation hopefully within 10 days
"Posted by walkerx 1 day ago
now that would be funny - i wonder why BT haven't already signed up to use them as they have the potential of losing a lot of customers if they don't sign up - who would be willing to continue paying BT £20pm for a 512kb-2mb service when you can pay £25 for upto 40mb."

Erm... I'd like to know where you're gettng the £25 figure from. The cheapest available is £30 a month with DRBSY (for an up to 20 meg service) and £40 for the up to 40 meg service. Ripwire, as far as I can tell, still haven't decided on pricing.
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
from RipWire - service to consumers is £25pm + £75 setup fee for full upto 40mb - they are not providing the upto 20mb service
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
ordered with RipWire now just have to wait and see if and when can get it as ordering process has been up and down but email confirming order - would be nice to have some way of monitoring the progress of the order so can see what is happening
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
well still awaiting confirmation of when openreach can visit my cabinet and do the switch-over - so probably not going to be activated within 10 days of ordering :(