Orange continues to shed ADSL customers
Friday 31 July 2009 16:12:53 by Andrew Ferguson

When most broadband providers are still showing a net growth in the number of subscribers, it must be worrying for Orange to have a drop of 10.3% in the ADSL customer base in the first half of 2009. The total is currently 954,000, whereas back in 2007 the firm had some 1,142,000 ADSL customers. Interestingly Orange still reports the number of dial-up customers which stands at 93,000.

The loss of customers is partially offset by the cost savings that having 45.3% of your customers on an unbundled connection produce. Of course Orange is actually France Telecom and has interests in a number of countries, so with some 186 million customers across all its products, a 6.6% rise year on year, the loss of 100,000 ADSL customers seems less of an issue.

Comments

Posted by enlistedsquire over 7 years ago
It might be something to do with them putting the price of some of their packages up by a massive 30%. I just migrated my Dad to Sky because of it.
Posted by tcs005 over 7 years ago
I also moved to Sky because of the 30% price increase. No problems with the change over and now the speed is nearly tice as fast!
Posted by Thalgrum over 7 years ago
I was an orange customer until may 2007, when I jumped ship to Sky, the reason for this was that they systematically lied to me for a period of over 16 months, claiming line faults when it was server crowding causing my line speed to drop to dialup speeds every day at 4pm.
Posted by Mudlarks_Ghost over 7 years ago
I agree, the drop is more than likely caused by the massive increase in price and now further restrictions on their 'fair use' policy - so I'm currently looking for a new package
Posted by layor over 7 years ago
I've just had a letter this morning (3.8.09)hiking my account up to £25.
And they have the cheek to say that I can enjoy speeds up to 8Meg. I've never been able to get above 1.8/9Meg!!
Guess what I'm going to do now!!!
Layor.
Posted by rich_jtg over 7 years ago
The decline may also be due to having a terrible customer services department - especially the 'technical' one.
Posted by northend over 7 years ago
I heard about their customer support problems. Thought it might be exaggerated. I have recently had to use them. What a waste of time! With that and their price hike, I am not surprised they are losing clients.
Posted by mustang_john over 7 years ago
I had months of first hand experience of Orange "cutsomer support" and I woudl jump for joy if they went bankrupt. Completely useless the lot of em. Good ridence I said.
Posted by newbolt over 7 years ago
Orange seem to be indifferent to the loss of their customers. They tried to up my monthly bill from £24 to £32 with no improvement in service. Probably apathy on my part may have made me stay with them if the increase was a lot smaller, but 33% was well beyond the acceptable. The staff in their call centre seemed unsurprised that they had lost another customer. I've now moved to talktalk for a little over half the price Orange wanted.
Posted by absent over 7 years ago
It's mainly the non-mobile subscribers and non-LLU areas that are suffering. If you have a mobile contract and live in an LLU area, their top package is just £4.18 a month. As to whether it's even worth that, another story.
Posted by savamac over 7 years ago
No surprise - their support service is abysmal. I speak as an ex-Orange customer with 30 years experience of running IT support teams.
Posted by trakkie over 7 years ago
I also have had many problems with Orange re speed, and like many on here was given a miriad of excuses, several months ago everyday at 18.00 my broadband speed dropped to less then dial up, this now has been rectified,customer service varied form vv indifferent, to ok-ish.