PictureBox launches on Virgin Media
Monday 29 June 2009 11:07:11 by John Hunt

Virgin Media and Universal Pictures have announced that PictureBox, an on-demand movie service will launch on the Virgin TV platform in July. The service will allow TV subscribers to view films whenever they like from a rolling selection of 28 films for £5 pounds a month.

Titles will include both recent and old films. Seven new titles will be added every Friday, and many films will be available in HD. Films in the coming months include Hot Fuzz, The Bourne Ultimatum, Children of Men and The Holiday, as well as some older titles such as Scarface, Total Recall, The Nutty Professor and E.T – The Extra Terrestrial.

PictureBox is also available on BT Vision, Tiscali TV and topup TV.

"This agreement is a significant step in the growth of the PictureBox brand, which will now be available to Virgin Media's 3.6 million TV customers in the UK. Our reach in the UK has now increased more than fivefold and the service has expanded internationally since initial launch less than three years ago."

Belinda Menendez, president, NBC Universal International TV Distribution.

Posted by cyberdoyle over 7 years ago
Anyone living in a rural area can't even stream Iplayer... wonder if we will ever get access to next gen networks? (joke btw)
Posted by mitchja over 7 years ago
top-up TV - what a complete joke that is!!
Posted by Fixer109 over 7 years ago
Haven't we got enough providers of old films without yet another one. VM certainly likes putting money into their pockets or will they use this money to invest in their inferior service (and pigs will fly)
Posted by kashiqi over 7 years ago
Well its good news but i think Virgin have many customers and they do not want anymore. I went to a internet cafe just to surf. I open the home page and there was this site
There was an ad of virgin for free tv with telephone. I signed up and then next day i received an email that because there is some one already using Virgin service so we cannot offer you one. Isnt this bullshit. Mr Branson if you are reading this then sort this problem out so that we can have virgin service
Posted by pcoventry76 over 7 years ago
I think it's awesome. Although it should be free for XXL customers I think ater all everything else like the music side of VM is.

However for £5 a month I'll certainly give it a spin.
Posted by grumpyjim over 7 years ago
Does this mean the end of Virgin's current pay as you view film service?
The HD films will of be only available if you are paying extra for an HD set-top box.
Posted by yellowhat over 7 years ago
I thought all of Virgins boxes were HD.
Posted by Pixie7 over 7 years ago
No like Sky and Freesat you only get HD if you pay for a HD box. Later this year Freeview HD boxes will become availabe at around £150.
Posted by JTthink over 7 years ago
A bit irrelevent as far as I can see. I got VM XL service (20 mbps) a few days ago and its running atless than 5 mbps, with fluctuations.Worryingly poor so far. They should concentrate on theirer main product not develop new add ons.
Posted by NeilBeresford over 7 years ago
JTthink, try running tbbMeter here on the site - even thou you are getting a 5mbs reading - it's an average and you will see your network traffic might burst a lot higher - I get peaks of 17mbs when my average might be 10mbs. Also I've noticed best performance is early morning.

As for the virgin deal - it's another service, it's there if people want it - and if they don't, then it's no loss. Certainly not worth moaning about! :-)