Wrexham & Shropshire becomes latest train company to announce free onboard Wi-Fi
Wednesday 10 June 2009 10:00:46 by John Hunt

Wrexham & Shrophsire become have become the latest company to announce free Wi-Fi for passengers on it's rail services that operate from Wrexham, Shrewsbury and Telford to London Marylebone.

The train operator will install the Icomera Moovbox M200R mobile broadband gateway which uses two 3G HSPA connections from Vodafone and Orange with patented SureWAN technology that provides intelligent routing and allows the gateway to switch seamlessly between the networks to ensure an always-on connection without interruption. Wrexham & Shropshire will also be adding at-seat power to their trains so users can plug their laptop in whilst using the service to ensure they get the most from it. The service is expected to be made available this summer.

Posted by Groovehound over 7 years ago
That's good. I travelled with them yesterday and looked for a power point for my laptop, but there were none on their vintage rolling stock. Frankly, it wasn't an issue, as the route is FAR more scenic than the West Coast Main Line so I just looked out the window instead!
Posted by Pigmaster over 7 years ago
I went to Stafford via Birmingham last week and even though the Virgin train had Wi-Fi it was only for 1st Class Toffs, and yesterday I did the same trip but was on a London Midland service and again it was for 1st class toffs and even London Midland did not have any power points in 2nd class only again for 1st class.

So, in the end both times I used my t-mobile HSDPA and run off my limited battery
Posted by SimonKemp over 7 years ago
My own local rail company, Southern, has power points in First Class only - but as a Gold Card holder it costs me just £5 to upgrade per day return.
Posted by SimonKemp over 7 years ago
So, what will the upload/download speeds be for the WSM wi-fi service, and how will it be affected by contention between multiple users?
National Express East Coast have power points in First Class and Standard Class accommodation!
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 7 years ago
Simon - slow. But honestly if you can browse the web and get your email on the train, I think that's entirely sufficient.