Don't want broadband? Ofcom research explains why
Wednesday 10 June 2009 08:46:05 by Sebastien Lahtinen

Ofcom have announced the results of research it has carried out looking into why 30% of the population have chosen not to have Internet access at home.

According to the research, those likely to get Internet access at home in the next six months are likely to be younger adults who use the Internet already at work and have children. The key reasons cited for getting online include accessing information, communicating with friends, keeping up with technology and due to family recommendations.

The research identifies two main groups who are currently not online: The self excluded (42% of adults) are simply not interested and are more likely to be older non-computer users who cannot see a significant benefit. The financially excluded (30% of adults) on the other hand think the access is too expensive or that they didn't have the skills necessary to use it.

More information on the Ofcom research can be found here.

Comments

Posted by cyberdoyle over 7 years ago
trust Ofcom to tweak statistics in this way. I don't tend to believe any data from suits any more. Churchill said 'I love statistics, I can make them say anything I like' and that is what OFCOM and BT are doing. And it is so wrong.what about the 3 million who can't get it?
Posted by chrysalis over 7 years ago
there is a serious issue if there is still people who think broadband is too expensive, its already available for insanely cheap. So we going to see ofcom wreck the market more now by trying to force prices even lower for these people?
Posted by mishminx over 7 years ago
I fail to see the need to evangelise the internet. For those genuinely unable to afford access, I would doubt that getting online was a key concern for them.

Some people opt not to have a phone service at home due to expense. Some are unable to afford a TV Licence. I doubt that someone living hand to mouth would benefit from a subsidised internet connection that they could ill afford to begin with.
Posted by Pigmaster over 7 years ago
"The key reasons cited for getting online include accessing information"

Well I never!!
Posted by jelv over 7 years ago
@chrysalis I bet the majority of those who think broadband is too expensive don't have any computers at home - that's what would put the start up cost out of reach of many of them.
Posted by chrysalis over 7 years ago
jelv yes, you can get a internet capable pc for under a £100 these days, many phone contracts even give you a free laptop. So if these people consider that too expensive then the chances are they dont need the internet anyway and they would just consider it a luxury.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 7 years ago
As with PAYG mobile the months when people were short of money they did not need to spend money, but with things like AV subscription, line rental and broadband subscriptions these are all regular bills you cannot afford.

Posted by chrysalis over 7 years ago
andrew I find it hard to believe noone can afford line rental other than those in very severe financial constraints, VM offer packages for £10 month, it is possible to get broadband for only the cost of line rental (without seperare BB prescription), most people probably spend more than that on their social life. I could even afford broadband when I was on the dole.
Posted by wilsenda over 7 years ago
chrysalis:"I could even afford broadband when I was on the dole"
I have always thought the dole money was far too generous!
Posted by XANTIA-1975 over 7 years ago
The real reason I bet there are so many people not have internet let alone Broadband is because :-

a registered sex offender and probably banned from the net.

b Put off because of all the gov't snooping proposals

c Put off because of the security surrounding the system such as phising and botnets etc etc
Posted by dragon1945 over 7 years ago
How cheap does BB have to be? I pay under £22 per month for my landline, all 01/02/03 calls 24/7, and many overseas calls 24/7. Soon I will also have 0870 and 0845 calls inclusive. On top of this I get free BB @ 1.79 MB.
This lot cost me around £40 a month with BT plus £18 for "BB" at 512 Kbps. I am saving £432 per annum. The equivalent of 1 month's pension.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 7 years ago
dragon1945 - I'd suggest a 256KBit service for £2-3 a month, paid yearly.
Posted by RegNirrab over 7 years ago
Would you believe there are some people who would think that £100 for a computer is expensive (and pointless) and £40 a month would be an outrageous waste of scant finances. dragon1945 is "saving £432 p.a.", eh? If you can't afford BB, and don't want a computer, it's all a waste of money, however much you "save."