iPhone makes up over 40% of all mobile web traffic
Monday 01 June 2009 09:43:58 by John Hunt

Over 40% of all mobile web traffic comes from the Apple iPhone according to mobile advertising firm, AdMob, who collated worldwide statistics. The latest report weighs up estimated handset sales based on Gartner's 2008 report and found that whilst only 8% of smart phones sold were iPhones, they made up for 43% of mobile web traffic in April 2009.

Symbian based devices, which include Nokia, Sony Ericsson and LG made up 52% of sales but only 36% of traffic. In the UK, 47% of requests came from an Apple device, 23% being from the iPod Touch. Reasons for the high usage could be the inclusion of an unlimited data allowance which encourages users to get online or the large screen and intuitive user interface of the iPhone which offers an easier interface to browse the web.

Comments

Posted by cyberdoyle over 7 years ago
times they are a changing eh? who would have thought it 10 years ago. Only really rich people had access to mobile devices. Now everyone has them. The same will apply to broadband shortly if the Carter report does what we all hope it will! Keep everything crossed that digital britain gets an infrastructure to be proud of to serve its citizens for the future. With mobile and broadband the legacy copper network will fade away and the people will have the ICT for the new age. No good hanging on to antiques that won't increase in value or usefulness
Posted by tcrooks3843 over 7 years ago
As an iPhone user I use it almost exclusively away from home as a mobile computer unless I know I need to do a lot of typing when I take a laptop. Browsing, email, file access and remote access to my Apple iMac make it a 'must have' solution. So much nicer than toting a netbook around.
Posted by tcrooks3843 over 7 years ago
Oh, and of course I posted these comments from the iPhone.
Posted by Foofoouk over 7 years ago
I have to admit that my N95 is pretty handy for browsing and email on the move, but the overall experience is a bit lacking. I am really keen to have a look at the new iPhones and the forthcoming N97. I suspect the iPhone might be the better bet, but hope to proven wrong.
Posted by brett7 over 7 years ago
cyberdoyle you may have missed the point of the story.. Its about iPhone proportion of mobile web traffic, not mobile web as proportion of overall traffic..
Posted by cyberdoyle over 7 years ago
my point was that we didn't see it coming, and who knows what will come next, but i get your point.
Posted by AndrueC over 7 years ago
Small screem tiny keyboard..

...yeah I got to get me some of that. I'm waiting until they've perfected the brain interface. Until then mobile data transfer will remain an occasional activity.

Very handy if you're stuck in the back of beyond or in a queue but a long way from my primary means of surfing :)
Posted by mickhopkins over 7 years ago
Here I am in Spain on my iPhone which is talking to my 3 dongle, via a 3 router .... Who needs a landline to survive then eh???
Posted by dtbarron over 7 years ago
hello geek people - this ludite has entered the 21st C (just): daughter got me an iTouch, I download my emails from home broadband and read attachments etc when away from home. Sounds like I've a lot to catch up on you guys. Still at least I can put my amstrad in the loft (don't want to throw it out yet!!)
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
There is a rumoured new Iphone coming soon so they really do have this corner of the market owned. Its no shock though, the Iphone IMO is a joy to use, so much so that on more than one occasion ive came close to switching my mobile contract to O2 along with my broadband to not only save money but get an Iphone of my own.
Posted by bosie over 7 years ago
O2 deserve some credit as well I'd say; look around the globe and you'll see the O2 product stands up amongst the best deals available.
Posted by comnut over 7 years ago

- I simply copy it to an 8Gig Multimedia card, and plug that into my mobile...

Posted by kendal01 over 7 years ago
i must be the only person who thinks these iphones look like bricks!
Posted by kendal01 over 7 years ago
Posted by uniquename over 7 years ago
@ comnut
Plenty of phones have Bluetooth and web browsing. Just not as slick as the iPhone, which is useless for me as it has a fixed focus camera, no flash and no video.

Otherwise I would have upped my O2 PAYG onto a contract with one.
Posted by uniquename over 7 years ago
Sorry, meant non-zooming, not fixed focus. (Aren't they all fixed focus?)
Posted by AndrueC over 7 years ago
I don't own one either - someone I know does.

I have an aging HP PDA. The 'phone is switched off unless I want to make a call, the wifi doesn't support WPA so it's switched off. The bluetooth works..but there's hardly anyone in range. The camera is pretty good though and I've got Europe and North America maps installed into Tomtom 6.

For music I prefer my Archox XS202s. Got my entire music collection in the car.

Me - a geek? Possibly. But an aging one who's wasted enough money on techie crap already :D
Posted by comnut over 7 years ago
uniquename: READ IT properly!!! the Iphone cannot transfer files using BT, only use headsets..

a search finds 1383 phones with BT, only 281 with wifi...
Posted by shezaad over 7 years ago
iphone? i really wonder sometimes why they even included the word "phone" in it. it's too complicated to use as a phone...
not to mention as u guys said above, the incredible BT! a £10 phone in the shops can send files via BT, I still can't understand why a £400 brick can't!
Posted by tcrooks3843 over 7 years ago
@comnut Well I just stream my music from my home computer to the iPhone over the mobile network. And Bluetoothing to other devices was solved by apps ages ago. The iPhone doesn't have 40,000 apps for nothing.
Posted by uniquename over 7 years ago
@comnut
I slightly misread your post, in that it never occurred to me the iPhone was also deficient in the BT respect. I was replying to "Also what do your friends with lesser (non-wifi) phones say when you cannot bluetooth them stuff" implying other phones couldn't do BT.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
quote"OK Iphone users, please tell me how you easily load up your gigantic music/media collection???

- I simply copy it to an 8Gig Multimedia card, and plug that into my mobile...

Also what do your friends with lesser (non-wifi) phones say when you cannot bluetooth them stuff in the pub???"

Huh??? 8gig of media the Iphone has 16gig built in.

Bluetooth, again huh? that issue was solved weeks after launch.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
quote"i don't have one either! i buy a mobile phone to make calls not play games, listen to music and surf."

Wow you must own a very 1990s style mobile phone, considering they all have some type of internet functionality nowadays most also have atleast one game on them and the ability to play atleast basic mp3 or similar files.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
quote"......as for the internet usage, well, is it really surprising as it comes with an unlimited data usage allowance??? this one is basically a service provider issue. not directly related to the iphone itself..."

What are you gibbering about this story clearly stats WORLDWIDE statistics not, anything to do with providers. Its simply the most popular mobile phone.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
Sorry that should had read "Most popular mobile phone for surfing the net".
Posted by bosie over 7 years ago
@tcrooks I do the same with either simplify media or nicecast connect over the air to my iTunes library on the computer at home. It works a treat even on 3G.
Posted by kendal01 over 7 years ago
cb, i have the thin slim nokia jobie. my point is i don't buy a phone for the additional stuff. call me old fashioned but i just want to make calls, after all thats what they were designed for!
Posted by idf03 over 7 years ago
@comnut "OK Iphone users, please tell me how you easily load up your gigantic music/media collection???"

OK let's compare my previous Nokia phone and my iPhone:

Nokia

Switch phone off
Remove battery cover to get to card
remove card
plug card into computer
copy over tracks/videos/podcasts being careful to put them in the right place otherwise the Nokia won't find them
eject card
replace card in phone
replace battery cover
switch phone on

iPhone

Plug iPhone into computer
tracks/videos/latest podcasts all get synced automatically
Posted by uniquename over 7 years ago
@idf03 Doesn't the Nokia PC Suite s/w on your computer transfer stuff for you? Mine certainly handles photos and vids to and from it. Same with a much older Nokia.
Posted by offcs over 7 years ago
@idf03 I have the Nokia Multimedia suite installed on my Mac. tracks/videos/latest podcasts all get synced automatically, although not all album art. I can chose which playlists to sync. It also comes with a device browser, which makes it easy to get items in/out of the phone. I never remove my 8GB card.
This is with a Nokia 5800. I can't get O2 where I live, so am on Orange. I will get an iPhone soon though, mainly because of the apps (the OVI store is useless).
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 7 years ago
This is partly because of how spammy iPhones are, especially with "requests". They do tend to use several times other smartphones bandwidth for common tasks, as well.
Posted by whatever2 over 7 years ago
"OK let's compare my previous Nokia phone and my iPhone:"

To be fair, with the n95 you just slam them in the side or use the same sort of process as the iphone. However, of course, you can access data directly on the n95... something an iphone user said he recently couldn't do (don't know if it was him or the phone, but i thought it would be like an ipod at least for data)
Posted by idf03 over 7 years ago
@uniquename, @offcs - point taken.

I was replying to the poster who was claiming that using a memory card was a simpler option to the automatic sync.

My Nokia only came with a Windows version of Nokia Suite. I wasn't aware of a Mac version.

@whatever2 Glad to see that Nokia have seen sense and started putting the mem card slot in an accessible position again.
Posted by tcrooks3843 over 7 years ago
Remotely accessing data is certainly possible on the iPhone. Take a look at Quickoffice as an example, which can also edit Word/Excel files. MiGhtyDocs allows you to retrieve GDoc files, and Air Sharing allows you to transfer files to/from my Mac over a WiFi network. Although I haven't tried it you can access SQL databases remotely from an iPhone.

Just a question of looking at the App Store, isn't it?
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 7 years ago
$20
$4.99

Etc.

Just a question of paying what is free on other phones, sure.