Ofcom releases Q4 2008 market data
Thursday 07 May 2009 10:01:51 by Andrew Ferguson

Ofcom monitors trends in the telecommunications market and regularly publishes the data, the last set being in February 2009. While the full results give info on things like SMS volumes, there appears to be no monitoring of the expanding role that mobile broadband is playing.

Period Total BT Retail Other DSL Virgin Media Other (inc LLU) BT Retail share Virgin Media share
2006 13,013 3,103 5,530 3,059 1,322 23.8% 23.5%
2007 15,606 4,139 4,290 3,414 3,764 26.5% 21.9%
2008 Q3 16,924 4,464 3,714 3,626 5120 26.4% 21.4%
2008 Q4 17.276 4,545 3,509 3,683 5,539 26.4% 21.3%
Numbers of residential and small business broadband connections (000's)

No massive changes for BT Retail or Virgin Media, but it seems the trend of BT Wholesale shedding customers to the various LLU operators continues. Given the low prices from a number of LLU operators, and a wider variety of download and upload speed products it is perhaps to be expected that this area added some 400,000 connections during the last quarter of 2008.

Mobile phones and the option of broadband using a mobile dongle appears to be having some impact on the number of telephone lines in the UK, the total number of BT Retail and WLR lines dropped from 26,773,000 in 2007 to 25,890,000 at the end of 2008. The recession may accelerate this as people reassess how much they need their landline, and that the speeds of current generation mobile broadband is sufficient for their needs.

Comments

Posted by JohnUK over 7 years ago
I've been waiting for NakedDSL for years, having relied on my Mobile for over half a decade for my call usage. Yet I still bound by this expensive £11/month charge.

But no, companies only pay attention to margins and sales, so hope, I pray, more light users move to Mobile Broadband to save on BT's or Virgin Media's mandatory copper pair for their so called "premium" broadband services, then maybe BT and VM will realise making POTS/PSTN mandatory is so draconian, so backward they are losing money
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
Nice to see LLU continues to grow even with promises of ADSL2+ and fibre from BT, well done to all the DECENT LLU providers
Posted by tazz_uk over 7 years ago
JohnUK - Virgin media do not make it mandatory to have a phone line for their fibre optic broadband. I have the XL package and have no phone line!
Posted by KarlAustin over 7 years ago
I didn't realise Virgin had fibre-optic broadband, only fibre-optic PR :)
Posted by Dixinormous over 7 years ago

Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
quote"Nearly all of the LLU growth I imagine comes from Sky and CPW/Opal along with some from operators migrating IPStream services to Wholesale LLU."

I dont think so id imagine that O2 have also added more than a few customers.

quote"tazz - while you can get VM HSI without a phone line it tends to be cheaper if you do take it. XXL is 46GBP with and 50 without, XL 31 with 35 without."

Posted by Dixinormous over 7 years ago
'I dont think so id imagine that O2 have also added more than a few customers.'
68,000 of 419,000 in Q4.

And the relevance of that to the bundling of phone and internet is....?

Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 7 years ago
Carpet - You have to ask specifically. But you /can/ do it. (Why you'd want it in the firsr place? Well...)

Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
quote"'Too bad you cant have their TV service without taking a phone service, atleaast not according to their website at this time.'

And the relevance of that to the bundling of phone and internet is....?"

The relevance is you are forced into unbundling your phone if you want their TV service.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
quote"It's telling that VM's market share is suffering. This is a trend - their growth has dropped dangerously (for them)."
I have to agree, i personally think they have ruined which was once a good cable service for many people. Since Virgin have been in charge of the UKs biggest cable network we have seen them dis-continue (then re-continue) certain TV channels, add so called bundles which are never what you exactly want (IE the TV included maybe what you want but the braodband bit not the speed you want and similar).
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
There are loads of other reasons they have became a company to avoid, the broadband throttles/caps are just the tip of it. I personally wouldnt mind their TV service (their V+ box for recording etc is pretty good and has some features Sky and Freeview PVRs dont) but there is no way in hell id give them control of my phone and i certainly wouldnt want their broadband which IMO is overpriced when its capped daily. In my area also you can NOT most of the time keep your existing phone number (they normally replace the first or last number in it).
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
On a side and light hearted note though.... Their junk mail which is always coming through the door is some of the most creative ive ever seen with regards to quirky ideas and design, raises a smile, but still wont raise my wallet from pocket ;)
Posted by JohnUK over 7 years ago
As mentioned above, VM and any xDSL product = paying for POTS/PSTN is mandatory to have an affordable price in a recession.

Ofcom need to stop siding with Telecoms that might lose a little bit of money if a service is corrected for the side of consumers recognise market trends
Posted by comnut over 7 years ago
Posted by comnut over 7 years ago
on a side note, even TT will let you keep your BT phone...:)
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 7 years ago
JohnUK - Er, nuts? Calls using Skype are cheaper, especially peak time and foreign calling and you can keep track of your costs far more easily. It even has my mobile phone's number as caller ID.
Posted by comnut over 7 years ago
JohnUK: dunno what your angle is...

BUT a telephone service of some kind IS needed for BB... If want to pay over the odds for someone else to provide this or expensive mobile rates, thats your problem...
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
quote"CB, you do know you can have both??? I still have the use of a BT phone, at the same time as my VM one... useful when the lodger is on the phone for hours.... :)"

Yeah but i wouldnt want a phone service from them and it defeats the object as you would be paying virgin a monthly fee as well as your BT monthly line rental. Afriend recently (i think i mentioned it) considered Virgins TV service, only to find their website atleast wont let you just buy the TV service, they insist on you taking a phone service... TO me thats silly, you used to be able to just buy the TV service, didnt you??
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
I dont thing much of Virgin or BT but ill give BT credit where its due, in terms of a phone service and any issues with your telephone service they fix it a damn site quicker than any of these other companies that offer "telephone" services. Even though my broadband is LLU i would NEVER EVER sign my phone service over to a LLU company, BT dont do much right (atleast in my eyes) but their phone service IMO is good value and maintained very well.......
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
Broadband from BT of course is a pile of steaming dung, but atleast with their phone service the company was built on is still one of the best around.... Ive seen and heard some right horror stories of people being without use of their home phone for days even running into weeks when their phone has been provided by FULLY UNBUNDLED LLU services and the likes of Virgin and others. As far as im concerned BT can keep me as a customer for the telephone because A) It works and B) If it goes wrong the turn around time in fixing it from my experience can not be beaten.