Smile for the camera at Virgin Media
Wednesday 08 April 2009 15:34:03 by Andrew Ferguson

Virgin Media has announced a set of enhancements for its broadband products with the byline Save! Share! Print! and a product title of 'V Stuff'.

Both Virgin Media cable broadband and their National broadband (ADSL) products benefit from the V Stuff enhancements, though how much you get depends on the product you have.

Cable Broadband
Backup/Storage 5GB 10GB Unlimited
Cost Free Free Free
Auto-backup & Remote Access Yes Yes Yes
Album Creation & Share Yes Yes Yes
Inclusive Photo Prints 25/month 50/month 100/month

National Broadband
  Solus Bundle 1 Bundle 2
Backup/Storage 5GB 10GB 5GB
Cost Free Free Free
Auto-backup & Remote Access Yes Yes Yes
Album Creation & Share Yes Yes Yes
Inclusive Photo Prints 25/month 50/month 25/month

The free photo printing lasts only for the first 12 months, and the first three orders from each customer will qualify for free delivery. Those who want to upgrade to unlimited storage and also get 100 free prints a month can pay £5 a month on top of their broadband subscription.

Lots more information can be found on the V Stuff website, and the Terms and Conditions reveal the printing service is via Snapfish. One thing to pay attention to it seems is that if you do not use the service for 90 days they may close the free account.

Online backup is a good way of keeping digital photos safe from house fires and other fates that can befall digital media, but do not rely on any one backup solution for those photos you consider critical.

Posted by Dixinormous over 8 years ago
Just whatever you do don't upload between 3pm and 8pm else you risk being throttled. I tried this yesterday and the performance wasn't great at all, averaged less than 300kbps upload on the XL service.
Posted by cyberdoyle over 8 years ago
We use gmail for storage (up to 8meg per account) and picasa for photo albums, 2 meg per account. Free and easy no matter which ISP you favour. Picasa also lets you print to your preferred service, emails photos for you at highly compressed resolution and is quite honestly the best thing since sliced bread. It also does away with being tied to one ISP which can't be a bad thing.
Posted by Groovehound over 8 years ago
Of course the upload is slow... It's Virgin Media! No, it could be everyone trying the new service at once. But I suspect it's just VM's crap network. What annoys is that they say all this (HEAVY!) Throttling is "to protect the majority of users' experience", but then in practice the experience is STILL crap. Scammers?
Posted by adslmax over 8 years ago
It really stupid - and what the point of it if there were STM on our broadband ? I just can't believe it as Virgin Media must be laughing at us once we start uploading then it start to throttling ! Avoid it.
Posted by EnglishRob over 8 years ago
@adslmax - I think the point is that you don't go filling the space right at once. In any case, it's free and I doubt they're going to force you to use it.

Sure it is a pain that the upload speed gets throttled but I date say it would be possible to schedule the uploads if you have lots to upload.

I'd find this handy for uploading photos to the service, at the moment my other half stores them on her desktop and I have a few on my file server, it would be nice to have a backup off site just in case (only got a couple of hundred megs of photos anyway).
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
As others stated due to their daily throttles what the heck is the point in have unlimited space when mid flow into uploading or downloading you revert to dial up like speed.

Oh and if you just want a place to upload photos or pictures, theres plenty of free services out there like photobucket as just one example.

This is more Virgin pish which is pointless.
Posted by paulnorman over 8 years ago
v stuff has just gone its not working any more,and it is no longer showing in "my virgin media" when I log in. strange.........
Posted by tazz_uk over 8 years ago
it dont even let you delete from it utter crap
Posted by therealwizzard over 8 years ago
This needs VM's software client on your computer, which is not ported to Mac OSX. It's just marketing "added value" which has no, erm.. value. Having said that anything which encourages numpties to back up is a good thing.
Posted by aaaashy over 8 years ago
this is NOT yet mac compatible!
Posted by dobi over 8 years ago
VM sounds great for business backup. For my personal computers, I've been using SafeCopy, In particular I was able to backup USB drives, share files and backup both my Mac and PC with one account. I'm very happy with it and it may be worth checking out.