Carphone Warehouse reconsider a Tiscali bid
Monday 30 March 2009 10:38:49 by John Hunt

Carphone Warehouse could be about to make a renewed bid for Tiscali's UK arm following the suspension of share trading earlier this month. With Tiscali facing rocky times and believed to hold £558million in debt, the sale of part of its business may help pay towards some of this, and keep the rest of the business alive.

Tiscali have had the 'For Sale' sign out for around a year, and were unfortunate to reject various offers that were put forward for the company before the economic crisis set in. Talks with BSkyB, the last remaining party involved, faltered earlier this month over the price that Tiscali wanted for the UK business. Carphone Warehouse made various offers over the period of the sale, but Tiscali have rejected each. This last attempt at a bid could be a way to ensure that TalkTalk can increase their customer numbers before the administrators step in at Tiscali, as it would not be certain who would buy up the assets under those conditions, with many parties potentially interested in a bargain.

Posted by drgwright over 8 years ago
Sounds a bit like Honda selliing out and letting Team Brawn take over in Formula 1. Tiscali, like Honda, cut off their nose to spite thjeir face by refusing perfectly reasonable offers earlier. They will probably have to sell at a knock down price now, and serves them right!
Posted by mabibby over 8 years ago

They had the chance to make the right decisions earlier... now that right goes out of the windows as the banks and any stakeholders will do it for them.

The possibility of CW owning the entire Tiscali network seems rather daunting I must admit though and could be the first step to a monopoly.
Posted by ETEE over 8 years ago
CPW wouldn't use the Tiscali network. They would transfer Tiscali customers over to their own LLU network which is more integrated.
Posted by zyborg47 over 8 years ago
People on Tiscali, run away, fast.
Posted by john-fraser over 8 years ago
zyborg47 Run away? Where to?? I've been reviewing my options since this debacle appeared on the horizon. Go compare people say; OK go and look at ISP reviews on this site and frequently you find alternating opinions on any ISP you name. "They're brill!" "They're crap!" Where is there any disinterested advice I'd like to know. I'm not a geek I'm three miles from an exchange and (I've just checked) at the mo I'm getting 0.6 Mbs. I just want a connection I can rely on and I'm not sure such a thing exists. Jayeff
Posted by timmay over 8 years ago
"People on Tiscali, run away, fast." Most people on Tiscali wholesale won't be aware of it and they will be the ones caught out!
Posted by willrob08 over 8 years ago

I'm half a mile from the exchange and I'm getting 0.2Mbs at the moment. AOL can't
be beaten for slow speed between 4pm and 10pm .What will happen if Tiscali joins us
is not worth considering.
Posted by dustdevil over 8 years ago
I'm not surprised tiscali are in the mess that they are as i was with them for over a year and encountered nothing but problem after problem(slow speeds bad customer service etc).I hope they do sell as someone will hopefully sort them out so other customers who are stuck with them will get a better service.Believe it or not i left tiscali to go to orange & they are even worse!Evenings i'm lucky if i get 1meg
Posted by cyberdoyle over 8 years ago
Quote from a news item on this site:
Service Provider Customer Service Reliability
IDNet 87% (3,035) 82% (3,129)
Zen Internet 84% (8,328) 83% (8,884)
Looks like those are the two best ones to replace your tiscali connection with. I can speak for both as I have mates using them and they are real good ISPs. Look no further...unless you fancy a community solution like SWBB, they are great too.
Posted by shdbone over 8 years ago
I 'ran away' just before the share suspension! was having connection problems (0.1 - 2meg!) and billing and 'tech'service awful (well useless actually!). Gone to plusnet value (3.9 - 4.7). I'm 3 miles from the exchange so pleased with this and the halving of cost!
Posted by Saturn40 over 8 years ago
What's the problem with Tiscali? I live 1.6km from the exchange on the coast and get a healthy 6.5mbps at all times of day after a little tweaking. Who else offers unlimited downloads (FUP or not), unlimited phone calls and line rental for £19 a month?
Posted by AndrueC over 8 years ago
@Saturn:It depends where you live. BeThere offer up to 24Mb with no download limits and a FUP that has never been enforced. Currently £16.50 a month.
Posted by G-gran over 8 years ago
I am with Pipex via Toucan, It seems I am really with Tiscali. Sorry I don't really know about these things but I think I am stuck with Pipex for the next few months. As the crow flies, I am about 200yards from the exchange. Will I be stuck with whoever gets Tiscali?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Nothing to choose between any of them, they are both pathetic companies, who have no idea what customer service is or how to run a ISP.
People on Tiscali, run away, fast."

Well said this man, didnt CPW offer to buy them in the past???

Oh and for once The Tiscali feature on Watchdog the other night was bang on, with all the regular problems that come with being with Tiscali, lets hope they go into administration soon.
Posted by Saturn40 over 8 years ago
Where I live there are no cable lines and BeThere are not avaialable. I think I have the best package for my area.
Posted by scousetechie over 8 years ago
@john-fraser. Try an Entanet reseller, I did a couple of years ago and have had no problems (ADSL24 for me)
Posted by chefbyte over 8 years ago
CPW needs to sort out their AOL and Talk Talk products first, before taking on this drab outfit
Posted by CaptainW over 8 years ago
I might regret saying this but I cannot falter Sky's LLU service - no FUP or Limiting at any time or issues with disconnections or service. We sync @ 15.2Mb with very good throughput for £10 p/m.

Anyhow, good luck to those who want/need to change ISP's
Posted by burble over 8 years ago
First post on here, tin hat and flak jacket being worn.
Tiscali get a lot of flak and yes talking to customer service is like banging head against a brick wall, BUT, for many like me they are the best out there.
I have a choise of BT or LLU with Tiscali or AOL.
BT cap line at 512kb!
AOL around here runs painfully slow.
With Tiscali I get a reliable 1024kb day in day out, only time it's gone down was during thunderstorms.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
I think you have been lucky burble, Tiscali are a known terrible company, they consistantly are the most complained about provider on ISPreview (site similar to this one). ISPreview in the past have also mentioned ofcom investigating them more than once... The narration on the watchdog report sums things up Each month we get HUNDREDS of complaints about Tiscali. Oh and BTW there is no reason AOL should be any slower to the 512k BT offer, though to be honest i wouldnt touch them either for other reasons.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
If i was a Tiscali user id start ATLEAST looking around.
Their massive debt, stupidity not to accept resonable buyout offers both now and in the past, coupled with the fact they have now been on national TV and pointed out to be a bad company all points to them HOPEFULLY shutting up shop soon. No doubt if this happens it will be hell to get your line free, especially if its been FULLY LLU'd. Personal issues or not with the company id still advise users, run, run, run.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
yes, basically, Tiscali WILL GET WORSE!!

- it all depends how soon their credit runs out, meaning it will stop completely, leaving only the 'receivers office' to phone, and no 'net...

- or are you just going sit waiting for your woolworths order to be delivered, because you have not heard the news???
Posted by craig1234 over 8 years ago
Have been wth Tiscali since 2002 when they aquired L1,NEVER had a problem,yes I P2P!Have recommended over 50 friends/family who also have never had any issues,odd problem with modem or router but always resolved.Its shocking to think people actively want to see a company that employs and contracts to so many English workers to go bankrupt.

Tiscali should not offshore tech & customer services, if they didnt they would not be so bad.They do have massive debts but show me a company that does not?BT, Virgin, Sky.all of these would be in administration if the creditors called in their loans!
Posted by TGVrecord over 8 years ago
The financial situation that Tiscali is in is not the same as BT, Virgin, Sky etc. Tiscali is in trouble because it cannot service it current debts. They are now unable to pay their loan repayments on time and have had to ask the banks for breathing space. It a similar situation that EuroTunnel was in up to recently.

The difference between Eurotunnel and Tiscali is that it would have been politically unaceptable for Eurotunnel to fail. I don't think that Tiscali will be so fortunate.
Posted by macbits2000 over 8 years ago
I wonder where the Pipex customers stand, as Tiscali now own Pipex, (I have been with Pipex since 1997, with no problems, except nowadays you cannot get customer service of course!)

Will Pipex go wherever Tiscali ends up? Maybe not so bad with CW.
Posted by beeflin over 8 years ago
Try a Kingston company like Eclipse. As BT's ancient rival they will surely be the last to be absorbed.
Posted by sugarboat over 8 years ago
I do not know if this because of Tiscali's problem but people are having problems sending me emails and a "quota" restriction message is received by them when they try to send me an email, anybody else having this problem?
Posted by daddygez over 8 years ago
I left Tiscali 6 months ago after speeds of 0.4. kept the phone line with them though;£9.99 + free 01,02 calls anytime. moved to a small provider - Titan that runs through entanet, consistant speeds of 4.5 and a local service team that know exactly what they're talking about.month in month out deal.
shop around, look at the smaller isp's, the big boys promise the earth, sign you up and then *"^# all over you. Tiscali deserves this!
Posted by Mat_T over 8 years ago
Be careful of Eclipse. They kindly LLU'd my broadband connection a couple of years ago and now I believe I am with Tiscali wholesale.
If you want to check your line, just google "Tiscali Login".
I am now wondering what will happen to my connection if Tiscali falls. Anyone know?