Sale of Tiscali to Sky at critical point
Monday 09 March 2009 09:50:26 by Andrew Ferguson

Tiscali in Milan has asked its bankers to suspend interest repayments on its 500 million euro debt. In the current economic crisis this is not unusual, but with negotiations between Tiscali and Sky over the sale of Tiscali's UK operations which encompass some 1.8 million broadband connections taking a rocky road, this latest news is not going to make things easier.

A Reuters article quotes that it is "almost impossible" for the talks with Sky to continue; the sale had been expected to be completed or least agreements reached by the end of March 2009.

Tiscali is best known for its low priced consumer telephone and broadband services as well as its triple-play Tiscali TV bundle. The firm also owns the Pipex, Nildram, Freedom2Surf and old Bulldog brands, plus there a number of wholesale agreements with other broadband providers. One option might be for Tiscali to sell off some of the assorted broadband brands or its wholesale business.

Given the competition for customers in the UK market there is little doubt that someone will pick up the Tiscali's user base, although the price is likely to be a significant bargaining point whilst each side tries to get the best deal possible.

Comments

Posted by Oldjim over 8 years ago
[quote]Shares in Tiscali have been suspended on the Italian stock exchange after tumbling almost 50 per cent this morning on news it failed to meet a debt repayment.

The group - whose UK ISP brands include Tiscali, Pipex, Freedom2Surf and Nildram - said over the weekend it would try to renegotiate its loan agreements. Tiscali owes banks about €500m.[/quote]
Posted by kev445 over 8 years ago
Bye Bye Tiscali
Posted by AndrueC over 8 years ago
"Tiscali owes banks about €500m". It also owes it's customers a good service but they never got that. I wonder if its creditors will be any luckier?
Posted by boogie over 8 years ago
why are there some many useless lame-brains waiting to shoot off their two pence worth? These comments are just banal; anybody who has any idea who might be in the running to pick up Tiscali assets would be an example of engaged thinking.
Posted by kev445 over 8 years ago
Boogie: Because they are a lame-brain provider. I don’t know who would purchase either Tiscali or their assets; it will all depend on what state their network / assets are in. If they have been struggling for a number of years, who knows what state their infrastructure is in.
Posted by seawolf5341 over 8 years ago
I moved from tiscali over 9 months ago they carried on taking money out of my account for
another four months during that time i was paying sky after threatening them with taking them to court they promised to refund the money
I still have not got my money back I also contacted bt who said that tiscali was hijacking the line even after bt closed the line
Posted by uniquename over 8 years ago
Posted by boogie about 3 hours ago

To me that looks as though the cap fits.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 8 years ago
BT has been mentioned today by the FT, otherwise only name popping up is BSkyB
Posted by tcrooks3843 over 8 years ago
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Quote"Looks like the negotiations with Sky have collapsed. Possible that Tiscali UK might go into administration. "

We can all only pray that happens, and the horrid outfit just turns into a bad memory
Posted by Pete-W-Trotman over 8 years ago
Am I the lucky one as regards Tiscali as I have always have had no probs with them. The broadband has always been at or near the max for the line depending on the the of day. I hope the sale is sorted out soon and some of the above have to eat their collective hats
Posted by nelliecathenry over 8 years ago
I must be another lucky one as have been with Tiscali for 17 months and have NEVER had a problem with them. Great broadband speed and service, great deals on phone calls etc. I only hope this gets sorted as I don't really want to have to switch to another provider!
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
AT the above 2 posters......
Yes very good, now try leaving them and see how great their service is
Posted by wymondhamrobin over 8 years ago
I too have always been pleased with Tiscali's customer service and speed, as have many of my friends who have also joined them. Try leaving BT and see what trouble you can get into. When I left BT I hadn't paid them for 3 months and still (eventually) got a refund of £26 for their overcharging! I for one, hope Tiscali survive or at least sell to Sky.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
^^ My god from BT to Tiscali!!! You must like fire and frying pans?
Posted by ChasAndGwyn over 8 years ago
Posted by ChasAndGwyn over 8 years ago
PS to above. If Tiscali do go down, I hope there's a smooth changeover or a no-brainer to move to.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Some reason for your vitriol might be useful Carpetburn. Perhaps we could all do with knowing who is your ISP.
I moved from NTL/Virgin to Tiscali and whilst I cannot say all has been perfect I've been getting acceptable BB speeds (mostly over 3000) and free 01/02 calls 24/7 for under £15 per month."

My reason??? Try reading todays news story on here about how people marked their ISPs, that about says it all... CPW and Tiscali LOL yeah loads happy with them.
Posted by xpire over 8 years ago
Tiscali have offered poor customer service, poor connection speeds when they took over pipex (my speed reduced froma steady 6 meg to less than 2) so its no surprise they are going under.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
^^^ Same story for the majority it would appear you only have to look at ISPreview (a site similar to this one) to see how often Tiscali are complained about, I wonder how many times they have been reported to Ofcom and Ofcom being fools have done nothing? (If you search ISPreview you can find atleast 3 occasions)

The sooner the scummy outfit is dead the better for us all