Virgin Media leaving 2Mbps broadband behind
Tuesday 24 February 2009 11:24:40 by Andrew Ferguson

Virgin Media seems to be doing its best to push the UK forward in the broadband league tables, by making its entry level service be the Large 10Mbps product. Existing 2Meg customers are to upgraded from their M to the L service with the upgrades starting in May 2009.

The lowest priced service from Virgin Media on its cable network is the L product, which is £15 a month for the first six months rising to the standard price of £20 a month thereafter. If you take a telephone line from Virgin Media for £11 a month the cost of the broadband is £5 a month for three months and then £14 a month.

"Our entry-level broadband product is now twice the speed of comparable services and, with our new 10-20-50 range, we clearly offer the highest quality broadband service in the UK. The migration of millions of 2Mb customers to 10Mb is only possible because of the power of our next generation network and is just one example of how we are creating exciting propositions for consumers which provide transformational experiences and go way beyond their expectations. Coupled with our recently launched 50Mb service, we are proactively developing the UK’s broadband market, driving consumer expectations and the demand for high speed broadband services."

Neil Berkett, chief executive of Virgin Media

Critics of the Virgin Media service will be quick to mention the traffic management currently in place, which unlike some large providers Virgin Media do not hide. For existing 2Meg customers, the upgrade to 10Meg means that even if they do trigger the management system after downloading 2.4GB the limited speed is actually 2.5Mbps, i.e. faster than their current product.

The entry level product for Virgin Media is by far its most popular product as many people don't want to spend large amounts of money on their broadband connection, so the upgrade is likely to have a noticeable effect on things like the average UK broadband speed.

Posted by fusen over 8 years ago
so what happens to the 4Mbit service I pay for? o.0
Posted by Dixinormous over 8 years ago
4Mbit was upgraded to 10Mbit ages ago, checked your speeds recently?
Posted by Mikebear over 8 years ago
I've just seen on another forum that the free upgrade means starting a new contract!
This may matter to people thinking of changing ISP.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
So basically more congestion, higher pings for current 2MBit users and likely actually slower speeds in areas with large numbers of 2Mbit users. Right.
Posted by michaels_perry over 8 years ago
What are they doing for National (non-cable) customers? My 'up to 8 Mbps' service has dropped to barely over 1 Mbps due to a line fault that they will not report to BT until they have fiddled about doing tests that I've already done and reported to them!
Posted by Dixinormous over 8 years ago
We'll see Dawn... it's likely coinciding with deployment of the 3 - 4 extra downstreams that the DOCSIS 3 upgrade brings so I guess the sums make sense somewhere.

I also believe this is an elective upgrade, take the upgrade, new contract, etc.
Posted by Mikebear over 8 years ago
I have just been told that no new contract is started by VM when you get this upgrade.I apologise for being wrong and appreciate the
other person for letting me know.
Posted by tazz_uk over 8 years ago
sod the higher pings for current 2MBit users what about the slow down for current 10 meg users when all the current 2 meg users start using up the bandwidth??? And what about the 10 meg users who are paying £25 a month???
Posted by AndrueC over 8 years ago
"we are creating exciting propositions for consumers which provide transformational experiences". Eh?

I thought they were just an ISP and media delivery service.
Posted by thrombanks over 8 years ago
Very bad connection speeds again tonight ... time to look for a better use of my £25/month I think
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
Dixi - Well, given I've been on VM services (under previous names) through two previous "speed increases" which increased my ping and decreased my speed...
Posted by Groovehound over 8 years ago
"...we clearly offer the highest quality broadband service in the UK."

I think not.

Telewest, however, unequivocally DID. Which is the reason I joined up. Ask around. Virgin are just not in the same league for various reasons.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
The problem is, as with most things, it is NOT possible to apply 'one statement' to the whole UK... :(

And this would be true whether you are talking about Tesco's, the redlion pub, your local bank...

There are thousands of these around the UK, some great, some awful, and some regular 'crimescenes'..
Posted by nigelmclelland over 8 years ago
Virgimedia talk about thier next generation networks, and they cant even provide a "Caller display" facility on thier telephone service on the Wirral- I have been asking them for ages! The telephone exchamge on the Bromley platform must be really in need of modernising.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
erm, by my map, the Wirral is closer to Birkenhead than bromley... :)
Posted by fbastello over 8 years ago
No they're not... I'm on 10Mb and can't manage even 1Mb
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
They are talking 'headline' speeds, not capability...
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
Posted by yellowhat over 8 years ago
Strange, apart from one incident last month, my 10 meg (upgraded free from 4 meg) has only gone below 9.4 meg once in the nine moths since they changed. Mind you I came in from Telewest.
Posted by David-Park over 8 years ago
Wondering if Tesco will go up in speed as they use Virgin, Tesco now 2meg max.
Posted by fox-uk over 8 years ago
What about suckers like us who are paying for their 20Mbit service and already dealing with useless speeds caused by congestion?

Try comparing their 'Daily Maximum' download with what is actually possible with their 'fair use limits' and capping?

I've even considered changing back from Cable to BT (Carphone Warehouse - for phone - family in States and Be for broadband), but none of the twaddle brained idiots can even give an estimate of cost for conection or actual speed.

Better the Devil we know.......
Posted by clive4 over 8 years ago
Yes, Virgin is going through a bad patch at present; quite a few 'server terminated connections' recently: our neighbours called 'Their man' in - he couldn't make the speed or connections better either.
Posted by maherj over 8 years ago

Caller ID is available on the Wirral.
Posted by jupiler over 8 years ago
I took the bait start cheap then when you think you can't do without it they hit you with the arm an a leg price. paying for 20 never had more than 15.5 avg over a year 13 an a bit an been low as 4.5 not a heavy user surf an download the odd prog msupdates are the biggest!?
Posted by nigelmclelland over 7 years ago
Caller display on Virginmedia IS now availible on the Wirral CH63 (ex-NTL) I had it enabled yesterday £2/month.