TalkTalk revenue drops with sign-up decline
Thursday 15 January 2009 14:02:47 by John Hunt

TalkTalk revenues were reported down by 2% to £347m in third quarter trading up to 27 December 2008 compared with £355m in the same period in 2007. The broadband customer base stayed around the 2.7m mark with 36,000 net additions during the quarter. 73,000 customers were added to TalkTalk whilst the AOL brand saw a net drop of 37,000 disconnections. The previous 6 months saw a total net-addition of 82,000 broadband customers.

Churn of customers remained low whilst broadband ARPU (average revenue per user) increased year-on-year to £23.13 reflecting the increased move to on-net customers. A further 91,000 customers were unbundled bringing the total to 2.1m or 78% of customers. This makes up 34% of the UK's unbundled populace based on the OTA's figures of 5.51 million unbundled lines at the end of December. The non-broadband base including voice-only and dial-up Internet customers continued the expected decline to 1.2m, a loss of 103,000 customers.

Full details and figures can be found in the Interim Management Statement.

Comments

Posted by shaneosborne over 8 years ago
At I think it will continue to decline as there support is useless. They have no idea what an BRAS PROFILE is nor do they know what INTERLEAVING is. For a Technical Supoort Manager and 3 other Tech Support Staff to not know this is just plain stupid. Since they move me from AOL to the TT LLU everything has just got worse with speeds very poor. They can go suck my sweaty ball bag :p
Posted by rian over 8 years ago
I did receive loads of sales call from AOL and TalkTalk these period. But I am happy with O2.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
read more carefully.. 2% is a bit small to make a headline...

73,000 customers were added to TalkTalk..

'drop of 37,000 disconnections' ??? do you mean they lost 37,000 customers?

82,000 new customers in 6 months?? good news, surely??

average revenue per user increased...

seems mostly good news...
Posted by c_j_ over 8 years ago
1) How does an ISP majoring on "free" broadband define "broadband ARPU"? It looks like they mean "overall ARPU for customers with voice+broadband", as para 1 on p3 says ARPU for non-broadband customers was £20.21. So a broadband customer brings an extra £3 a month revenue. Wow. Plenty of scope for investment, a quality service, and profitable growth. Not.

2) Re: "the increased move to on-net customers": LLU vs BTw doesn't inherently increase ARPU, surely?

"non-broadband ARPU was up 16% as prices increased", ie the "broadband ARPU increase" is caused by more expensive phone calls!!
Posted by d1rk over 8 years ago
I changed to TT from Broadband and I think it is brilliant. There Tech staff who I have a bit of difficulty understanding, have knowledge of Computers. I have phoned a couple of times and ended up giving them some advice. But apart from that I have a good speed and no probs with Broadband or the Phone service.
D.
Posted by Royf over 8 years ago
TT Broadband and phone is great and reliable for me Where they have LLU in it is worth while joining them . A vast improvement for me after Virgin.net I have had good service from Technical
and put your problem on talktalk members and it will soon be sorted.
Posted by grandadchimp over 8 years ago
Telephone support is virtually non-existent on TT. You queue for long periods which if you have phones with them costs you!
The Forums are better but really slow to react. It took me two month to get from 330 download to over 6MPS with two profile changes.
It might be free broadband but support is atrocious.
Once my contract is up I shall be going!!
Posted by Edward_Meryon over 8 years ago
I threatened cancelling my service at the end of the 30 day trial and after 1½hrs on the phone given another phone number for what they call their 2nd level support. I waited until Sunday when the broadband was disconnecting itself 5+ times an hour before calling. It took another hour to get through but, I found myself speaking to someone who actually knew what he was doing and he altered the settings at their end so my SNR margin is now over 10 and the Attenuation is down to 43. Since then the service has remained stable with no disconnections.