Bug in tbbMeter causes problems - 01 Jan 2009 - solution
Thursday 01 January 2009 02:38:22 by Sebastien Lahtinen

In a rather embarrassing tale, we have to report that we have received several reports from users today that their copies of the tbbMeter bandwidth monitoring software we provide is displaying an error indicating that it has expired:

This was a safety feature we built into early beta test versions of the application and should not appear in production versions; however it appears we accidentally left this code in place.

Windows XP Users - To fix this problem download and run tbbMeter Health Check
Just click the above link and run the file. This tool will fix the problem automatically for most users.

Windows Vista Users - You may need administrative permissions to run the above tool.
Vista has more complicated security settings, so we've provided a step-by-step guide.

If this does not rectify the problem, please check our advanced troubleshooting options.

If all else fails, please feel free to e-mail us on team@thinkbroadband.com and we will assist where possible.

Comments

Posted by masteratarms over 8 years ago
Y2k bug over again? :)
Posted by 1Gopher over 8 years ago
LMAO as The new yraw came in Bang on Midnight up popped the Message!! What a way to start the New Year. LMAO

Even re downloading and reinstalling either one of the two Versions and you get the same error.
Posted by OldFella over 8 years ago
Might be just a MMIX up!
Posted by hems303 over 8 years ago
Not happy. Hope Stats are retained somewhere, as I need recent stats to confront ISP in a few days time! :(
Posted by lowik over 8 years ago
yea hope this gets fixed soon
Posted by antsnest over 8 years ago
If you need your stats just wind back the system clock to yesterday and grab them in case the new version zaps them.
It works, I just tested it. Still expired when I reset to normal.
Posted by seb (Favicon staff member) over 8 years ago
The new version shouldn't zap the stats.. we'll have one out later today.
Posted by clivejenner over 8 years ago
When I run the new version of THHBmeter I get an error message saying "This application has failed to start because rscoree.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem" it doese'nt. Regards Clive
Posted by paulbeattie87 over 8 years ago
Is this not built in Visual Studio? If so you could look at packaging the program so it looks for updates. That way you shouldn't need to change the clock etc. It would also keep all installed versions up-to-date.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 8 years ago
The software does check for updates, but an old bit of beta code was left in for a little too long.

rscoree.dll should be in the tbbmeter folder, if not you can download from http://www.farina1.com/rscoree.dll
Posted by tilly2007 over 8 years ago
Update works for me, thanks!
Posted by simon8520 over 8 years ago
Works for me too
Posted by authoriseduser545 over 8 years ago
I just installed the new version, and my stats are gone. This doesn't particularly bother me because I don't need them. But if you need the stats, I would recommend that you copy down the old stats via resetting the clock. Maybe the software developer could add a "Yearly" down/upload set of numbers??? Maybe my stats reset because it is the first of the month?
Posted by antsnest over 8 years ago
My stats were retained when I upgraded.
I wound back the clock and upgraded via the system check rather than downloading the new versiuon directly.
Posted by authoriseduser545 over 8 years ago
Okay, I upgraded via the internal "Check Version" and I did not bother to set my clock back first, so I guess that is mandatory if one upgrades the way I did.
Posted by authoriseduser545 over 8 years ago
Strange, my stats now show the same for Daily and Monthly (336MB download), but the weekly shows 2,458MB download. Go figure.
Posted by michaelmead over 8 years ago
Well done and thanks for the quick fix guys
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 8 years ago
Weekly will still be showing some data from December 2008. But the month will only be today.
Posted by John_Gray over 8 years ago
You didn't write the code for the Microsoft Zune player, did you? [url]http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/31/zune_death/[/url]
<chuckle!>
Posted by John_Gray over 8 years ago
or for the Sony DAB Clock Radio, which occasionally turns itself on at midnight at FULL VOLUME, even though this has not been set as a wakeup time?

Posted by seb (Favicon staff member) over 8 years ago
We have a program ready that will fix it in one go for most people - we're just running it past a few users on the forums (link in the forums if you want to try) - this should make things simpler.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Well done to the site on admitting an issue with the app (if only ISPs were this honest when they make a cockup).

Also well done on the update and easy fix, though it seems some people cant even read and follow simple instructions and still whinge.
Posted by hems303 over 8 years ago
Thanks for quick fix. Worked for me, but stats were somewhat bizarre. No problem tho. :)
Posted by johnsizeland over 8 years ago
As an XP user I found that runing the download direct caused a rejection message.
I downloaded to a file and ran it from there with no problem.
Well done for the quick fix.
Posted by blacky1944 over 8 years ago
Also a XP user and a computer novice downloaded to a file worked for me
Posted by mr_chris over 8 years ago
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"@CARPETBURN - they couldn't exactly NOT admit there was an issue with the app! It was plain to see from the message displayed!!"

Of course they could had denied it. They could had said your complaint was unique much like an ISP or some other big company would and then censor everyone else.

Obviously you have never dealt with the deny everything mentality.
Posted by uniquename over 8 years ago
@CB

I expect mr_chris will deny that [tongue]. (And I agree with him).
Posted by samperry209 over 8 years ago
thanks for the fix...

was worring incase i go over my limit!! but lucky i didnt....
Posted by bluesbros over 8 years ago
First report due out Thursday.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Perhaps they'd be better joining the SanKnows & OFCOM project to measure broadband speeds....???"

Err what does measuring speed have to do with an app that measures usage amounts?