BSkyB and Tiscali talks stall over price
Monday 22 December 2008 11:58:05 by John Hunt

With the 'For Sale' sign up at Tiscali since April, the news will come as a blow that talks between Tiscali and BSkyB, the last remaining bidder to buy the UK arm of the company, have stalled over the price for the business. Throughout the process, various bidders have come forward offering different amounts, but all have been turned down thus far. With Sky as the sole interested party at present, and in the current financial times, it is no wonder that they are being careful about how much money they put forward, to prop themselves into the third largest broadband provider in the UK.

For those who've followed the process thus far, it may seem like Tiscali have shot themselves in the foot as they turned down better offers whilst trying to seek around £600m for the business. Carphone Warehouse for one came forward with £550m but were turned down by Tiscali. To rub it in, they later offered £450m, but again were turned away. Sky were thought to be offering close to £450m when talks started, although if this is deemed to be too high, will Tiscali be forced to take a poor deal or will they hold out until things look a bit rosier in the economy?

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
I just hope Tiscali curl up and die like they deserve
Posted by Bin216 over 8 years ago
That's too good for them, they need to go bust and be sold for an humiliating nominal value of £1 to Sky.
Posted by MCM999 over 8 years ago
I'm at one with CB here, may Tiscali fail and burn in hell. Their accounts and record keeping are atrocious let alone their BB service. The UK BB scene will be all the better without them. [Former Screaming/WorldOnline/Tiscali user, moved to Bulldog and moved again when Tiscali bought Pipex]
Posted by herdwick over 8 years ago
waiting for the fire sale would seem a sensible negotiating tactic. Tiscali shares are now at one third of their April value....

Posted by timmay over 8 years ago
Sky can just wait for the administrators and then buy bit part of whatever they want. Which will not be much, there are not many exchanges that Tiscali have enables and Sky haven't.
Posted by Going_Digital over 8 years ago
Tiscali are so woeful that their total mismanagement deserves for them to go into administration as a lesson on how not to do it.
Posted by meldrew over 8 years ago
I am not sure why anyone would want to pay money for Tiscali (or in fact any other ISP's) customers when margins are so thin anyway. They could probably all be offered free broadband for a year with a two year contract and Sky would not be out of pocket!
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
yes another one where vultures are circulating, just like woolworths, for the body to die off, and people to lose interest, so it can be got totally free and without expensive 'history'....
Posted by CaptainW over 8 years ago
Sky do seem to drive a hard bargain - I wonder what they WILL eventually pay for them??
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
meldrew - You forget, Sky make money from package services not broadband alone
Posted by andys999 over 8 years ago
well may all you bt lovers burn in hell-i recently moved to a house with a ceased line.
bt wanted £100 deposit to re-activate.
tiscali have brought out a cable switchers and movers service.
they connected me free+i get free line rental 1 month in arrears no deposit-long live tiscali
Posted by andys999 over 8 years ago
why does everyone love murdoch so mutch?look what he did to wapping.
sky bt the biggest most expensive to use services in uk yet you all suck up to them!!fools
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
andys999: well you MAY regret it... But wait, you PAID them?? Tiscali needs a BT line, unless you managed to escape the £100 ?? Do tell us how..
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
andys999: My friend had the same as you, tried asking BT, threatened them with TalkTalk, they did not care.. but then TalkTalk paid the activate & transfer costs for her.. its still working great...
Posted by webwise over 8 years ago
Tiscali have one of the worst broadband services in Europe and Sky TV is one of the biggest rip-offs going. I already switched from Pipex when Tiscali took them over and ruined the service, and after finding not one thing over Christmas on Sky that I conceivably would want to watch that hasn't already been repeated ad nauseum, I am telling Sky to shove their TV as well. Freeview is free (apart from the UK's ridiculous £140 a year TV tax) and just gives you less choice of repeats.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Only reason Sky are interested and sniffing round Tiscali is to Get hold of Tiscali TV before anyone else does. Even though my service is indirectly sky related even i can realise they dont give a damn about Tiscali users and are only in it to buy up a potential future TV threat if some other big name got a hold of em. SKY if anyone from the company is reading for god sake save your money dont touch the shower know as Tiscali, spend the cash on offering bonded solutions and similar and REAL HDTV over your service.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
yep, its not about what bad stuff tiscalii has got, its about what *copyrights* and licenses come with it!!
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
as far as I am concerned its good news, but after thinking about it I reckon sky still want tiscali but are now prepared to wait for the value to crumble and buy it cheap.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
If i was Sky id just sit back and giggle, wait until they are about to file they are bankrupt and offer them less than half i originally did. Personally though as my ISP has sky links i hope they forget all about Tiscali and their chavs and spend the money on bonded and simil;ar solutions and improvements.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
dear me, this is about the only one that has not gone off topic in 10 days...... see what happens w/o proper planning.... :(
Posted by georgehc over 8 years ago
My comment for all this is Hurrah! At this moment , after giving their dreadful service the boot over two years ago, Tiscali is trying to take me to court over a £20.49 bill which I settled and have all the documents to prove it. It is not the money I care about is their bullish attitude to anyone
Posted by georgehc over 8 years ago
Further to my last comment - I have been with DeirectSave since I quit Tiscali, although it has not got the frills of the big players they are interested in you at all times. Their backup service is excellent.
Posted by georgehc over 8 years ago
Oops I meant Directsave
Posted by dragon1945 over 8 years ago
I paid £29.99 a month to Pipex Homecall. I got line rental, all 01/02/03 calls 24/7 plus BB at 1.5 MB. [We are at the end of a l-o-n-g telephone line which BT rate at 512 kbps. Tiscali took over and I ended up with 330 kbps after 3 days of no phone and no BB. I asked for Sky Free BB. Not available here & they wanted to charge me.
Posted by PBS1 over 8 years ago
I'm sorry to say this but i must give credit where credit is due and Tiscali deserve credit for the service they provide. Compared to the packages that are offered by BskyB, BT and of course we must not forget Virgin, Tiscali is far cheaper and give a superiour service, there is only one provider that offers and service at a price that comes anywhere near and that is Talk Talk, however they don't as yet offer anytime calls as part of the package.
Posted by bearfreeman over 8 years ago
I just moved to a place with a ceased line. BT & P.O. wanted £125-ish just to re-connect the line. Tiscali sort it in their £30 connection fee. Also BT reckon I'll get a 500k service, but Tiscali say 3.5m - rather over optimistic on my 5km-ish long line, but I read elsewhere that BT merely offer the standard service, while other ISP's give ADSL Max [I think]?? Fingers crossed!! :o) Furthermore my exchange is going to be WBC enabled soon which will improve upload speeds [I think], though maybe someone can explain exactly what WBC will do.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
you will have to ask Sam....

Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
AFAIK BT's 'profile' limits it to 512k, LLU's are not limited by this, so get upto 24M - Be has no contract, only a 3 month termination notice.. :)
Posted by _TRIaXOR_ over 8 years ago
<Quote>Posted by PBS1
I'm sorry to say this but i must give credit where credit is due and Tiscali deserve credit for the service they provide. Compared to the packages that are offered by BskyB, BT and of course we must not forget Virgin </Quote>
LOL, are you living in LaLa Land? I was with Sky and for £10 per month thier 16Mb offering was spot on and it was TRULY unlimited too, also, thier CS when ever I contacted them were good too. seem you are slagging off companies you have no clue about tbh..
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
bearfreeman - Tiscali use different equipment (LLU) to BT. However, you may wish to read up on them - they're generally considered to provide a poor service.

No, 21CN won't help LLU users. Yes, some companies will absorb the reconnection fee - make sure they don't tie you into an extra-long contract if they do (at least one ISP adds 12 months).
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
^^^ Agreed with most of what Dawn says there (makes a nice change LOL)

If you want LLU forget all about Tiscali take your money to bethere, O2 or ukonline, it may cost more but the sevice you will get is better. If English speaking support is also important all UKonline support is UK based... Sky are also worth considering if you want LLU and already have their TV service, otherwise i wouldnt bother as you wont save much.
21CN will not bring any real improvements to those with very bad lines, for those with good lines speeds should be roughly the same as they will get on a ADSL2+ LLU service.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
A good reason sky want it is here, if you believe the numbers... BUT if you dont, tell me who you do!!

Add the two figures, and it will get a larger subscriber size than CPW/TalkTalk, and also threaten VM!!
Posted by PBS1 over 8 years ago
Tell me TRIaXOR what do you get for your £10 per month with Sky other than so called 16Mg and you say "I was with Sky" are you now?? The point i was trying to make was that with Tiscali. for £14.99 pm I get upto 8Mg Broadband unlimited, Telephone line rental included, Anytime calls plus International Calls, the only problem with them is the same as everyone else other than TalkTalk is that the charge a premium rate to contact customer service if you have a problem.
Posted by _TRIaXOR_ over 8 years ago
@PBS1
Now I'm on Be as I wanted the full speed which borders on 20Mb that my line is capable of, also, I wanted the static IP too, but the point I was making, With sky I have skytalk for my line rental and I HAD Sky 16Mb broadband which is unthrottled and unlimited unlike tiscrapi, no matter what you say I have known people who have a a bad experience of them and detest thier coyboy operation no matter how much you sugarcoat it.
Posted by _TRIaXOR_ over 8 years ago
lol cowboy operation too ;)
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
HAHA i think "coyboy" with regards to Talktalk fits so much better ;) lol
Posted by _TRIaXOR_ over 8 years ago
lol :D
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Any update on this anyone???

Have sky done the decent thing and finally decided Tiscali are a scummy waste of space and left them to die like maggots?
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
nope, it's dropped of the front page, so not much hope until they report it again.....