Hi-Velocity users experiencing migration problems
Thursday 04 December 2008 13:01:27 by Andrew Ferguson

Users of the provider Hi-Velocity have been contacting us over problems with obtaining Migration Authorisation Codes, in some case taking weeks and for one customer they were told that the delay was with BT, but upon further research by the customer they managed to discover their connection was a Tiscali based one and a MAC was obtained from their wholesale division.

Hi Velocity uses the ISPA logo on its website, but does not appear to actually say they are members of ISPA, the inference of using the logo though is that they are current members. ISPA has confirmed Hi-Velocity was previously a member but is no longer a member.

Screenshot from Hi-Velocity website

Under Ofcom rules all telecommunications providers are duty bound to belong to one of two Alternate Dispute Resolutions schemes. The providers website lists CISAS, but gives the contact details for The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, contacting CISAS reveals that Hi-Velocity was a member in the past, but is not currently. Contacting Otelo reveals no sign of Hi-Velocity being a member of that scheme either.

Thus if customers of Hi-Velocity are not getting anywhere this leaves Ofcom, who while they do not act on individual issues, will intervene once a pattern of problems has been identified.

We originally emailed Hi-Velocity a week ago over the migration problems, but have not had any response, and on telephoning them to enquire as to which ADR scheme they use was informed the manager was in a meeting and the member of staff was new and did not know the answer. On calling back after 30 minutes as advised we sat in the queue for 15 minutes even though we were first in the queue.

If you are having problems in terms of obtaining your migration code from Hi-Velocity, then as well as contacting Ofcom you can share your problem with others on our forums.

Comments

Posted by MrTAToad2 over 8 years ago
Hi-Velocity are known for their "unique" attitude to customer service - this attitude could help their demise.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Oh dear... At one point i actually considered this outfit on a short list for broadband, thank god i didnt... Just the mention of them having ties with "Tiscali" says it all
Posted by AndrueC over 8 years ago

Posted by AndrueC over 8 years ago
..and if I ever learn how to spell beaurocrat and related words it'll be a miracle. I'd look it up in a dictionary except unfortunately I can't spell it to find it :D
Posted by MrTAToad2 over 8 years ago
If nothing comes from contacting OFCOM, you would have to get lawyers in.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"So what do you do in this situation? Not that I am (I still like Be) but what would the solution be? Cancel the landline then order a new one?

Surely you don't just have sit around waiting for some ineffectual beaurocrat to wave a wand?"

Write to the bozos, threaten them with legal action and stop paying them each month if they dont comply with your MAC demand would be the first things to do. You would be amazed how quick they suddenly hold up their end of the contract with a MAC if they suddenly aint getting money thats owed.
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
I thought this isp was history after their bulldog problems.
Posted by ctormey over 8 years ago
With reference to Tiscali. They held me to ransom for three months with a tag on my line so that I could not transfer to another provider. I had cancelled my account due to cock-ups in a re-connection and started to use pay-as-you-go instead. They claimed I owed for two months broadband use even though I wrote to them pointing out I had cancelled. I then approached the ISPA who were useless. CISAS was no better and OFCOM didn't want to know. I then wrote a court action letter threatening them with a time limit of 7 days. The tag was removed!!!!! Say no more!!!
Posted by KevinR over 8 years ago
Without really wanting to second guess the situation here... Looking back of over the past few years this fits the pattern with previous ISP collapses. MAC issues, no contact, dropping out of CISAS, etc. Time for a Tin Hat I think.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"I thought this isp was history after their bulldog problems."

Hmm didnt know they had bulldog links also, back when i was considering them (several years ago) they offered a choice of IPstream or Datastream services... The datastream service at the time got quite a lot of praise and had low contention values, I wonder where it and when it all went to complete shambles?
Posted by Pixie7 over 8 years ago

Posted by AndrueC 3 days ago

Download ieSpell http://www.iespell.com/download.php for IE, super bit of free software, I have been using it for some years now, it works perfectly, is unobtrusive and can spell bureaucrat!
Posted by NoVelocity over 8 years ago
Has anyone tried the ctormey approach with HIV?
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
FF3 has spellcheck, Opera10 has spellcheck...