Boost your essentials with TalkTalk
Thursday 13 November 2008 08:24:02 by Andrew Ferguson

TalkTalk is to try and build on the popularity of its Talk Global Evening & Weekend with Free broadband package by launching a new product that will be the same price but allow customers to buy extras as and when they want. Before people rush off to the TalkTalk website, it should be pointed out that the product will only be available to order from Tuesday 18th November 2008.

The new product will be termed myTalkTalk and is designed to let people add what they want to the package. The basic pricing is £10.50 for the line rental, and £6.49 for the Global Evening & Weekend with broadband package. A connection fee of £29.99 applies and it carries the usual 18 month contract. The 20% or so of households outside the TalkTalk LLU network can subscribe to the product but will be subject to an additional £15 per month fee.

"People’s communication needs are constantly changing and we need to provide a phone and broadband service that reflects this,...

Great value is still the number one priority – and myTalkTalk offers an identical service ‘pound-for-pound’ to our existing free broadband package – but choice and transparency are now high on the agenda."

Wendy Becker (Managing Director), TalkTalk Group

The essentials of the package are an up to 8Meg connection, with a 40GB usage allowance, a wireless router, and in addition to the unlimited evening and weekend calls to UK landlines you will get inclusive international landline calls to 36 countries (calls to mobile in Canada and USA are also included.

The top-ups, or boosts as TalkTalk refers to them will cost £4 each, which buys you that option for a month. The six boosts available at launch are:

1. Anytime Calls: Fairly obviously, this gives you unlimited inclusive landline calls both day and night.
  2. Half Price Mobile Calls: A 50% discount on calls to mobiles.
  3. Download Plus: Doubles the monthly usage allowance from 40GB to 80GB.
  4. Speed Boost: Unleashes the full potential of ADSL2+ on your broadband connection, which means some people may connect at 24Mbps. Most will see a lesser speed and TalkTalk will advise on the estimated speed if you try to order the boost.
  5. Security Boost: Access to the F-Secure security package with a licence for three computers.
  6. Calling Features: Ability to personalise the telephone service with ringback, call divert and call waiting.

One interesting aspect of the Speed Boost is that if your line is shown to not benefit from the boost then you will be refunded your £4 for that month. As a way of letting people sample faster broadband speeds it is an interesting concept, and allows people to add extra speed for example during the Christmas break when everyone is at home at the same time. The Download Plus boost is a little odd as TalkTalk has in the past published figures showing its average usage was under 3GB a month, but are they launching this boost now as they are seeing some people using online video more and more, or simply enjoying the increasing number of game demos that are over 1GB in size.

Existing TalkTalk customers can switch to myTalkTalk with no connection fees, and no new contract is needed. For those wondering what their usage is like then tbbMeter provides a range of statistics and even a stopwatch so you can measure how much data a two hour stint browsing around YouTube consumes.

While the product is not earth shattering, and others have ADSL2+ products running at up to 24Mbps already, it should help TalkTalk to retain customers. Additionally at a time when many other providers are insisting on new lengthy contracts to upgrade to faster products, some may end up changing their view of TalkTalk. It seems unlikely that many will take all six boosts at once, and while the £8 a month for the two broadband boosts looks a lot, consider how many other providers offer an 80GB ADSL2+ product for £14.49 (line rental excluded).

Posted by adslmax over 8 years ago
how on earth can talktalk boost your broadband speed from your local telephone exchange ? Because BT Wholesale is limit and cap bras profile rate of 7.15 Mbps as it cannot be removed until BT Wholesale upgrade WBC ADSL2+ in the next 4-5 years time. I don't know how can talktalk can put your line speed up to 24 Mbps if your line is a profile rate of 7150K.
Posted by Fenris over 8 years ago

Of course they can as long as it's been LLU'd by them.
Posted by chefbyte over 8 years ago
you can find out if your exchange is enabled for TalkTalk LLU here
Posted by andys999 over 8 years ago
talk talk is the pits-the best value is tiscrapi-how?when you get in a llu area its second to none cheap as chips and only 12 month contract,FREE line rental as well cant be bad.
im sticking though to no mac codes or 0871 numbers/indian call centres- with my voda laptop built in sim 6mb speed.
heaven of all broadband this thing no hassles!!!!!
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
adslmax: yes, as simple as that, they *dont use* BT's stuff...

Just the same way BeThere gets 24M....
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
so TT charge for burst, ukonline charge for burst, sky charge for burst, BE charge for burst, meanwhile BT wholesale stick by the one speed fits all formula.
Posted by andys999 over 8 years ago
ha ha i recently read this from a talk talk customer;
cold-called by a Talk Talk representative offering to upgrade him to a different phone service.

Despite asking not to be upgraded, he found that he had been. ‘I was shocked because I made it clear that I did not want to change. What made things worse was that I was without my internet service while the change took place.’

‘Every time I try to get hold of someone, I have to wait on the line for almost an hour,’ he said.

Posted by dragon1945 over 8 years ago
BT say my line is only capable of 512 kbps BB. Talktalk gives me 1.6 MB on the same line. Why can't BT do this?
Posted by haselbury over 8 years ago
They might have been able to ...
Another guy in my village was told by BT that they would not upgrade him from 512k because he was too far from the exchange. I live about 200 yds from him. Tiscali told me the same thing about 3 years ago - because a BT system said so. I found an ISP that would upgrade me and got 2.5 Mb on the same BT line. Now I'm with TalkTalk and get about 2.5 - 3Mb. My friend has persuaded BT to change him over and now gets 2Mb.
Posted by leshewitt over 8 years ago
Disagree strongly with andys999 - it's not my experience. TalkTalk is excellent. I am on the "free" broadband LLU; inclusive calls eve + weekend + line rental + "8mb" for £20.99 + 40gb monthly limit; excellent value. Connects at around 5mb download, 1mb upload. Reliability has been perfect since Jan 2008, longest downtime is in seconds.
Posted by leshewitt over 8 years ago

Tiscali seems to be £1 per month cheaper, for "unlimited" download. Effectively the same limit as TT I guess as they traffic shape if you are a heavy user. Tiscali TV would give me just Sky 1 over and above my existing Freeview so not worth it for me for £4 per month. Mind you, this would be an option if I ever go for Sky Sports or Movies rather getting a dish.

Not enough difference to persuade me to change at present.
Posted by leshewitt over 8 years ago
(whoops; forgot this as well....)

Excellent support available on-line. Also available is telephone support, free from your TalkTalk landline although I must admit I've never used it.
Posted by herdwick over 8 years ago
"Excellent support" from Talk Talk - try telling that to an elderly couple who ordered it on the 9th September and have seen two "go live" dates pass, followed by the order being cancelled and now they have another order in the system. Or the guy who paid for it for 9 months and there was never a service on the line. etc.
Posted by andys999 over 8 years ago
like unemployment will soon be 1 in 10 mostly only 1 in 10 customers are happy with talk talk/ao hell!!!
Posted by germ over 8 years ago
I have Talktalk , free nationcalls anytime a lot of international destinations anytime, broadband at 5m to 8m , (varies), caller display for £21 a month. No other provider can provide this. The only problem I have seen is , if you have a problem with your landline "noisy" talktalk resist calling out "open reach". My sister in law had this problem and when she transferred to BT, open reach quickly fixed the problem with the overhead wires. It seems that talktalk have to pay open reach to fix lines, Am I correct?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 8 years ago
TalkTalk and BT Retail both pay for work done by Openreach, unless it falls within the remit of normal maintenance work by Openreach for reach they get the line rental.
Posted by rezz_2000 over 8 years ago
Been a TT customer for a while now and average 4mbps download... just switched over to the new myTalkTalk with the speed boost and was advised to expect between 15 to 24mbps, Here's hoping!