Price cuts for BT Openzone
Wednesday 15 October 2008 14:49:57 by Andrew Ferguson

Accessing the Internet when out and about has often seemed expensive, and perhaps in response to the growth of mobile broadband solutions BT Openzone has reduced the cost of Wi-Fi access via its hot-spots and various roaming partners. Four main products now exist (we are using figures that include VAT @ 17.5%):

• BT Original, 500 minutes of access to BT Openzone, BT FON and BT Business Total Broadband for £5.88 per month. Use beyond the 500 minutes billed at 12p per minute and product has a 12 month contract.
  • BT Openzone Together, £14.69 per month, unlimited access to BT Openzone, BT FON and BT Business Total Broadband hot-spots. 500 minutes of roaming time on other hot-spots in the UK is included too. 18 month contract.
  • BT Openzone Global, £32.90 a month, and adds 500 minutes of international roaming on top of the features of the BT Openzone Together product. 12 month contract.
  • BT Openzone per minute tariff, 18 pence per minute for use of BT Openzone hot-spots, the same price for when roaming in the UK & overseas. 12 month contract.

Full details of the products and a tool to let you find out where you can access the Openzone network is on their website - www.btopenzone.com.

BT Openzone still sells vouchers for those wanting access without any contract, but if using Wi-Fi regularly when out and about it is worth reviewing whether a contract would make more sense.

Slightly confusingly the BT Openzone quotes prices without VAT, perhaps a sign that they still feel their key audience is business users away from the office. As consumers embrace watching video on various mobile devices, people may find that data usage exceeds sensible pricing levels with the 3G options, so being able to pop out at lunch and spend an hour downloading some content to watch on the bus on the way home using a wireless hot-spot may appeal.

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Price cuts for BT Openzone...... You wouldnt know it looking at the costs!
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
It's a business service. And?
Posted by Tacitus over 8 years ago
Access to theCloud hotspots used to be included in the 2nd tier offering and at a lower price. Now it is BT and TMobile only. The old pricing was good value, now it isn't IMHO.

OTOH maybe you get Phormed if you use Openzone....s
Posted by digilocity over 8 years ago
The title of Andrews article "Price cuts for BT Openzone" could politely be described as misinformed. Less generously, it is a blatant paid-for advertisement packaged up as a news piece. Even worse, Think Broadband’s Weekly News Summary email pitches this article by saying that “BT has cut the price of Wi-Fi access by up to 50%, and has some 100,000 locations in the UK and Ireland where you can connect.” Excuse me? What drugs are you on?
Posted by digilocity over 8 years ago
...

I subscribed to BT Openzone in January ’08. At the time, I had access to the service’s 9,500 hotspots throughout the country. Of these, 3,000 were hosted by Openzone, the remaining 6,500 provided by The Cloud. Though the nearest Openzone hotspot was a 4 miles walk from my home (I don’t drive), the BT service still proved valuable as The Cloud offered a half-dozen hotspots on my local High Street.

And then I received just one week’s notice from BT that The Cloud hotspots would no longer be available to Openzone customers!
Posted by digilocity over 8 years ago
...

I emailed BT Openzone to request the cancellation of my subscription, explaining that the service was no longer what I had agreed to purchase. They refused, stating that I had to complete the 12 month term of my contract. To add insult, they cheerfully said that BT was “continuing to add more premium locations everyday”. Adding?
Posted by digilocity over 8 years ago
...

Andrew… I don’t know where you are getting your information from. Where is the evidence that “BT has cut the price of Wi-Fi access by up to 50%”? I see no lowering of the prices in the past 9 months, just a substantial drop in the service BT offers with each package. And that ludicrous claim of BT having “some 100,000 locations in the UK and Ireland where you can connect”? Of that number, 97,000 are BT FON residential customers that allow access to their routers – few of these are conveniently located on the High Street and none of them can be found with BT’s hotspot location service.
Posted by digilocity over 8 years ago
...

Frankly, I call this a scam.

I had a great deal of respect for the Think Broadband content till now. I hope I never again see such an irresponsible article from your editors.

Sincerely,

Stephen Turner
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"I emailed BT Openzone to request the cancellation of my subscription, explaining that the service was no longer what I had agreed to purchase. They refused, stating that I had to complete the 12 month term of my contract."
My god talk about dishonest... I suggest you cancel and any money they try to snatch off you challenge, i assume your contract says somewhere you have access to The cloud and Openzone... If you cant use one or the other now its clearer them in violation of the contract.