Virgin Media ADSL service e-mail was halted by spam
Saturday 11 October 2008 11:35:43 by Andrew Ferguson

The BBC is reporting that thousands of Virgin Media ADSL customers have had limited or no access to their e-mail due to what is thought to have been a spam attack.

The attack started on Tuesday and priority appears to have been given to resolving the spam problems. E-mails delayed during this four day period are now being delivered, and Virgin is keen to point out that no e-mails were lost, and that all legitimate email that has been delayed will be delivered.

"Since late Tuesday evening, some customers on our Virgin Media DSL service may have been unable to access e-mail or webmail,

This was due to a suspected spam attack suffered by our e-mail supplier which also affected a number of other ISPs. No customers on our cable service were affected.

All customers are able to access e-mail again now, though due to a large queue of undelivered e-mail messages, there may be a short delay before some e-mails reach customers' accounts."

Statement by Virgin Media

Virgin.net which is the ADSL side of Virgin Media has around 200,000 customers, with around half experiencing problems with e-mail this week. Virgin Media cable broadband customers were unaffected by the spam attack.

Comments

Posted by Saltank over 8 years ago
I was affected by the "capacity upgrades" however, latency has more than doubled to random US servers.
Posted by Imageek over 8 years ago
We were "upgraded" on Thursday, October 9th and today we are still down. This in spite of spending several hours with Virgins 0845 tech support. ETA for our service to be restored - no earlier than Oct 30th. No warning, no service.
Posted by Imageek over 8 years ago
Posted by Imageek over 8 years ago
Sorry for the dupe! We are using a (non Virgin thank God) USB mobile modem, and it is very slow / inconsistent. Virgin has left us high and dry, no warning, no service and not ETA until Oct 30th.
Posted by laurence1232 over 8 years ago
I was also affected here in north wales, but i did not contacted virgin, i had patience (not really like me) i did check on virgin customer zone and it told me there wasa problem with the emails. so i just waited 2 days to let them sort it out, all ok now
Posted by michaels_perry over 8 years ago
One of our email accounts was down for 2 days, the other apparently unaffected. Both accounts are now working as normal, as far as we can tell. There may be some undelivered emails, but we're not aware of them yet.
What's all this about upgrades, as per above comments? Surely this is not related to the email problem and the reported 'spam' attack?
Posted by scalamalanc over 8 years ago
I was one of the affected, but I checked out the Virgin media service page, which told of a problem with email. This is the second time in the last 12 months but was sorted out relatively quickly. Only downside was that Virgin did not update the service page often enough. More communication would have made a lot of difference to those who were waiting.
Posted by JohnSimons over 8 years ago
When the service is down for days, Virgin does itself no favours with a recorded message that irritates customers by telling them the 'good news' that the service will 'soon' be up and running again.
Posted by MK_Slinky over 8 years ago
I’ve also had no email or connection for most of the week! I tried contacting VM's Customer Support and my call was put on hold for 18 m without a reply! I did finally send an email to ask for a refund for my call, but their response was a typical couldn't care less attitude. They failed to mention the technical difficulties were due to a 'Spam Attack'. VM make a lot of money from their telephone support service & keeping you on hold pays dividends. I pay £20 p/m for this service and it's the worst I've experienced. Virgin Media Customer Support is in a constant state of turmoil.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
I was i could halt the spam they shove through my letter box almost weekly.... Flashy well thought out advertising.... Shame the same budget isnt spent on the service.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
The point though, is that it's maybe one of the cheapest ads!! - no high paid actors, like 'the postoffice' etc.. and I have seen much worse 'bits of card' from BT, with no real details....
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"no high paid actors, like 'the postoffice' etc"

You obviously did not see their Uma Thurman, Ruby wax and many other celeb TV ads all happily clueless babbling away about it being the fastest broadband.

Agree though BTs junk mail is also annoying.... If they could make a home hub work as reliable as the art they have perfected of printing its picture than it would be worthy lol
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
Uma Thurman etc... ? very simple scenes...

how about joan collins, eastender stars, etc..??

and a 10Mill budget???
Posted by Slinkey over 8 years ago
Didn't just affect their ADSL customers either. It affected their broadband customers as well. I phoned them and complained and got no sensible answer from them. I then put a complaint on their website and got a reply asking me to phone them. This company is an utter joke.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
Slinkey: I guess you are not on CABLE then??

please be more specific... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access

ADSL is a subset of broadband, that includes Satellite, Cellular, Power-line & Wireless...
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Uma Thurman etc... ? very simple scenes... "
How simple or difficult the scene or advert was for the actor/actress is irrelevant. Virgin would had still paid them a bomb to star in their ads therefore they are no better than the post office in that regard.