Be allows customers to change connection parameters
Tuesday 07 October 2008 10:59:50 by Andrew Ferguson

Unfortunately not all telephone lines are created equally, and so many of us will need our ADSL and ADSL2+ to run with a different set of parameters to the default. Be who use ADSL2+ have made available a range of settings in their customer web portal to let their users tweak their connection.

Giving control to the customer can reduce the work load on support staff and allows people to try out various combinations at will, or even tweak their connection to suit what their main activity will be on a specific day.

• Standard setting, sets a 6dB target noise margin and is the default.
  • Optimise for speed, sets a 3dB target noise margin. A lower margin allows you to connect faster, but may be less reliable, particularly during the night.
  • Optimise for reliability, sets a 9dB target noise margin. This sacrifices some connection speed but makes the connection more immune to noise.
  • Gaming mode, can be either on or off, and is in addition to the other settings. It controls whether interleaving mode is turned on or off. Gamers will generally want interleaving turned off because the error correction methods used can increase your latency by a few milliseconds, which for first person shooters can be critical.

To some extent these tweaks are not worthwhile until you have tidied up the telephone wiring in your home if searching for extra speed. Items like the ring wire and a spiders web of telephone extension wiring can easily result in the connections performance degrading a lot during the hours of darkness and with longer nights rapidly approaching, now is the time to tweak your broadband connection. As well as just removing unused telephone wiring, there are three main other things you can do remove the ring wire, fit an ADSL/ADSL2+ faceplate, or fit an I-Plate.

Comments

Posted by uniquename over 8 years ago
Is it certain those dB figures are 3, 6 and 9? Or could the Standard setting be whatever Be has already set either by DLM at the beginning or manually since? Then the other settings be 3dB either side of that?
Posted by MrTAToad2 over 8 years ago
I dont know - all you get is the descriptive settings as mentioned.

It certainly seem to have sped things up :)
Posted by doowles over 8 years ago
Just boosted mine to "for speed", will report back when I get home.

I like the idea of "gaming mode" as well, very clever stuff.
Posted by keith_thfc over 8 years ago
I've been changing my own be* settings since day 1 using the unofficial DMT tool - isn't this the same thing?
Posted by Aqualung over 8 years ago
I think ofcom should be contacted straight away why should this firm be able to get away with allowing customers to do things that take BTW weeks/months to do....and then not do them right...
Pity they will probably never do our exchange.:(

Tongue firmly in cheek
Posted by MrTAToad2 over 8 years ago
You should move to a place where you can get Be!
Posted by _TRIaXOR_ over 8 years ago
Waiting on my MAC from Sky to join the Be* fold :-) cant wait to try this stuff out hehe :-D
Posted by timmay over 8 years ago
What about O2 Broadband customers?
Posted by therioman over 8 years ago
Oh now that's nifty, nicely done Be.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
keith - probably, but now it's official.

It's a good example of how to use tools to offload CSR load, mind you.
Posted by nredwood over 8 years ago
The new BeBox, the 585v7 doesn't allow use of DMT
We're the lucky ones Keith with the older kit
Posted by jabns over 8 years ago
I was shocked that they did it in under 2 months from being recommended. There are a few things missing though for example turning Annex_M on and off would also be useful although this can be done on sum revisions of the ST. Here is what I orriginal sent them : http://b.imagehost.org/0664/be1.jpg

The INP setting allows routers with chipsets like that of the Draytek Vigor 2800 to connect at higher speeds.

But on the whole well done Be*.
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
hopefully ukonline will do the same, a few of us are pestering dan@ukonline about it :)
Posted by doowles over 8 years ago
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
surely you mean K Bytes - the SI standard specifies lowercase b = bits, high case B = bytes..

Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Managed to get 140 kb/s upload last night with this. Previous max was about 100 kb/s so thats quite an improvement so far."

Errr that would of had nothing or very little to do with this new feature, these functions are designed to manipulated the downstream noise margin, its basically do the same as any router where you can set a SNR percentage... Only thing this is doing which a router cant is turn interleave on and off.
Posted by tdms12 over 8 years ago
What about O2 Broadband customers? Can we change these settings?? (mean's O2 own Be*)
Posted by mikegreen over 8 years ago
Dumb question but...
Where exactly can you find the page/section to enable changes?
I have logged into my member centre but cannot find them?
Posted by KarlAustin over 8 years ago
I doubt it'll make an appearance for O2 customers - different target market. That's why O2 customers have had trouble when calling to get these kind of changes made. O2 is aimed at your average man in the street.
Posted by doowles over 8 years ago
Posted by AndrueC over 8 years ago
@mikegreen. They are right at the bottom of the member centre page. You have to scroll down quite a way to find them.
Posted by knowitall over 8 years ago
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"If a customer changes the margin setting and subsequently screws their line up as a result won't this cause problems if they try and complain about their service?"
^^^ Ive pointed that out to my fellow ukonline customers who also want a system such as this... They refuse to listen though. Too many assume everyone has a brain when they do not.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Download has increased as well by about 20%, upload by a similar amount. Not sure why upload has gone up if this setting has nothing to do with it but I'm not complaining :)"
Upload will not or shouldnt be affected by this it is nothing more than an adjustment to downstream margin and the ability to turn fastpath on or off... Upstream margins and attenuation are generally set in stone and sync rates only vary buy a couple of percent. If your upstream sync has increased significantly i doubt very much its anything to do with this.
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
cartpetburn it seems the tweak adjusts both downstream and upstream margins.
Posted by doowles over 8 years ago
Well all I can say is what I see and my upload has increased about 20% and is consistent. Great work BE!!!
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"cartpetburn it seems the tweak adjusts both downstream and upstream margins."

Hmm well that is interesting, especially on bethere where almost the top end UP speed on adsl2+ (1.3 of 1.5Mb) is already configured in users profiles at the ISP end... Automatically they should get 1.3Mb if their line is capable.
Posted by guppy02 over 8 years ago
Well i usually have a 9-10mb sync rate. I have just set my profile for speed and i have just sync with a 14mb connection and so far is reasonably stable.

I can’t fault BE for this and the speed/reliability i get. However I’m extremely disappointed with the tech support so far. I wish they could spend more time working out the kinks and response time with their tech support. It took me 20mins to call them the other week to get my IP address details when I needed to reset me router. I’m still waiting a response on my email I sent last week.
Posted by alan-borers over 8 years ago
It is a VERY GOOD thing to allow the customer to tweak his margins.
It has to be a MUCH BETTER thing for the "brainless" to "subsequently screw their line up " - it will be a good learning experience in the ways of the Internet !!!

Seriously though, if I "overcook" the tweaking I would fully expect to be able to restore normality. Is it actually possible to use this tool in such a way that the line is so seriously screwed that I have lost total control, and no matter what extra skills I acquire I will never again have broadband until I phone my I.S.P. and ask them to mend it for me ?
Posted by jhol3368 over 8 years ago
I normally use DMT to tweak my connection but I thought I would give the tools on the Be website a try, unfortunatley this was a mistake because my SNR stuck at 3.7dB and even my beloved DMT couldn't 'unstick it'.

Fortunately,Be support responded to my ticket within 2 hours and reset my Fastpath connection with a 6dB SNR. So back to good old DMT for me. With DMT I can up my sync speed from 22500 to 24475 with a SNR of 4.5dB
Posted by jhol3368 over 8 years ago
Sorry, should have explained Fastpath to none Be people.......interleaving A.K.A Fastpath
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
The type of issue you had jhol3368 is the type of thing ive been trying to explain to fellow ukonline users which want a similar system put in place.... Yes its a great idea giving the user more control, but your example and what i have been saying shows things can end up screwed if you play too much and then are a the mercy of the ISPs support team to put things back as they were.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
jhol3368: now if BE can put all that 'knowledge base', support and community stuff up on thier main page, so that non-users will see what they are missing, a lot more will sign up... that was the main reason I did not years ago, when there was a very basic homepage, and no sign of *what* support there was...