Businesses lose out as broadband falls over
Wednesday 27 August 2008 12:15:35 by Andrew Ferguson

The BBC has highlighted a broadband problem that is affecting businesses in the town of Penrhyndeudraeth, Gwynedd. This latest incident started on 18th August, and is the third problem for the area since November 2007.

It is not clear whether there is a total loss of broadband in the town, or whether just some are affected. It is entirely possible that the exchange based DSLAM has some faulty line cards meaning some ADSL lines will still be working, or that the fault lies outside the exchange. Given that the fault has been ongoing for a week, the suggestion is that it needs something more than a simple reset.

In the cases of businesses, while it may sound a glib response, ensuring you have some form of backup connection is very important, for many small businesses a dial-up or mobile broadband connection would allow important emails to be received and sent, or perhaps have a reciprocal arrangement to share a broadband connection with a company on another exchange. For consumers when it is your own connection, borrowing the neighbours or visiting a Wi-Fi hotspot is the simplest answer.

We have asked BT Wholesale for more information on the problem, and those affected still should report problems via their broadband provider. Alas given the small size of Penrhyndeudraeth it is likely that the various LLU providers will never make an appearance, so people are stuck with the BT Wholesale based offerings.

Comments

Posted by c_j_ over 8 years ago
Penrhyndeudraeth is in one of the areas which was awarded EU Objective One funding for a WiFi implementation back in 2003, after BT insisted the exchanges in the area weren't viable for DSL, so local regeneration company Deudraeth Cyf were planning mesh wireless instead (via Gaia Technologies of Bangor).

I bet that went down a treat with the wireless folks; dunno what the current state of play is.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Along comes the WiFi money and BT magically decide that the exchanges *are* viable for DSL.
Always the same with BT...... LLU ADSL2+ starts to get popular and suddenly ADSL2+ is possible.... H20 Networks announce Fibre for atleast part of the country..... BT suddenly find funds to fibre up the country.
Posted by c_j_ over 8 years ago
Incidentally, for AG/TB staff: the list of WISPS in the FAQ is horrendously out of date (not your fault)... are there any other reliable sources for that kind of info, published or otherwise, to save you having to keep it updated yourselves?

Posted by dragon1945 over 8 years ago
BT said 4 years ago that BB was unlikely to reach us before the end of the Decade. I got 512 kbps from Tesco.net with no special equipment at the Exchange.
Next18 months ago I got 1.4 MB from Pipex Homecall. BT rated the line at 512 kbps??? Talktalk have enabled my Exchange. I now get an average 1.7 MB. BT? still rate my line at 512 kbps. Are Talktalk overloading my line!
Now BT say they will roll out fibre even in Rural areas. I don't believe the Share Holders will let them, as there aren't enough houses with PC's to cover their costs.
Posted by CaptainW over 8 years ago
I think BT deliberately show 512Kbps without even looking at the line and mark the lowest to back themselves up; especially on new lines.

My mate was told by BT's checker 512Kbps and he's on Sky's MAX package synching at 16192 Kbps!! I would take any estimate from BT with a pinch of salt.
Posted by richardfrongelli over 8 years ago
I have logged over 26 phone calls since early july and still my Orange Livebox keeps disconnecting from server even when not in use.
Literally over 100 phonecalls in my 13 months with Orange AND they still havent sorted it..............Richard, Talsarnau
Posted by lelboy over 8 years ago
I sympathise, Richard. Despite over £20.00 of 0844 calls, I now not only have intermittent service, but they have capped my line to 512k . This slowdown only came after they did some "site maintenance" near the end of August. I've sent them a blunt email saying I'll provide details of all the wasted phone calls and wasted emails (and their pointless replies) to their CEO and OTELO if the don't put back my speed to how it was, and sort out these constant disconnects (according to my equipment - from orange - the line reset itself over 27 times yesterday). Les.
Posted by duncombe over 8 years ago
Good luck with OTELO but I wouldn't hold your breath. I found them useless when I was trying to resolve a problem with my previous ISP. I don't think the regulatory bodies for the utility companies in the UK are given enough powers to be effective. They act more like trade organisations representing the companies.