H2O fibre network getting closer in Bournemouth
Friday 25 July 2008 11:56:23 by Andrew Ferguson

Fibre connectivity has been in the news a lot lately and if H2O Networks have their way, we will be seeing consumers with Fibre To The Home (FTTH) a lot sooner than BT's 2012 date. The firm has started to contacting potential customers in the Bournemouth area as part of its build up to rolling out the service in the area.

Ofcom has started a consultation in relation to a proposal to give H2O Networks powers to carry out street works in relation to its fibre roll-out. These powers will make the work required for the roll-out easier for H2O networks by allowing them to co-ordinate work. One key point of the H2O fibre roll-out is that it is willing to share spare fibre capacity with other networks.

With Dundee planned as the second fibre city it will be interesting to see the reaction of other towns and cities across the UK. Hopefully local authorities will see the potential advantages of high speed links between their own premises and the advantages to local small businesses and residents that a fibre roll-out can have.

Posted by lloydio over 8 years ago
Yes we got an email from them asking us to test out the fibre broadband out for them so we will see what comes of it!
Posted by herdwick over 8 years ago
It'll be interesting to see how far four men and a massive debt manage to go in practice.
Posted by Richard1701 over 8 years ago
it's about bloody time! i want fast broadband
Posted by bosie over 8 years ago
I'm constantly searching for ways to get on the property ladder but I can't see any chance if I stay in London so i've been looking at options for moving out, preferably towards the coastline. Projects like this are really attractive to me, putting towns on the radar map of possible places to live and work.
Posted by adriandaz over 8 years ago
Projects like this could actually drag Hull kicking and streaming into the 21st century.
Posted by dragon1945 over 8 years ago
I wish someone would roll fibre out here. BT offered me 512 kbps. Using the same phone line I get 1.5 MB average from talktalk. Why can't BT do that??? On a bad day [i.e. 6 weeks of school holidays] I will be lucky to get 1 MB until after 9 pm.
Posted by whatever2 over 8 years ago

Have you looked at property prices in Bournemouth ?!

As for H20... sitting in the centre of town, and not a sniff of publicity so far... Be's pro offering is fine at the moment.
Posted by danjkent over 8 years ago
I had the e-mail last week and couldn't respond fast enough. Although my connection is better than in some parts of the country it'd be nice if my "up to 8Mb" could do better than the 2.5Mb I get on a very good day. Be There had previously set an enablement date of June '07 for my exchange but there's still no sign of it.
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
Posted by grimwau over 8 years ago
I'm currently with VM on their VIP package which is 20MB broadband and I more often than not get 12mb or more but I have still registered for this service.
I don't know what other services they will offer but there was mention of TV and phone in which case they will compete directly with VM and hopefully this competition will be good for the general public.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"herdwick you should be happy, your lover BT will probably buy H20 infrastructure on the cheap if it goes into liquidation."

BWAHAHAHA Post of the year right there :)
Posted by Somerset over 8 years ago