Vodafone out of Tiscali race
Thursday 19 June 2008 09:56:13 by Andrew Ferguson

Vodafone has been a relatively late entrant into the fixed line broadband market in the UK and it now appears to have pulled out of the bidding for the Tiscali group according to

It is thought that Tiscali will announce its chosen winner by the end of June. Whether a buyer can be found that is interested in buying both the UK and Italian operations is unknown. A more likely option may be that the two arms will go to different bidders.

Posted by aerostar2 over 8 years ago
Cannot see why any company would want to buy Tiscali/Pipex with their current unhappy users.

Since Tiscali took over Pipex, it has been nothing but a pain, with lies when you complain, and now foreign help desk which is difficult to understand what they are saying, and they do not know how to fix things.

Posted by callum9999 over 8 years ago
That would be because

1. Tiscali has a huge customer base
2. It has its own network
3. It has a IPTV product

I doubt there are that many unhappy customers, you just read a load on the internet but it is actually a small number of actual customers. If people were that angry with Tiscali they would leave.
Posted by Pigmaster over 8 years ago
Perhaps my bid for a quid will still be in the running :-)
Posted by herdwick over 8 years ago
their shares would cost you just short of a billion quid on the Milan stock exchange.
Posted by CaptainW over 8 years ago
I reckon BSkyB would be quite interested in bringing to fruition their IPTV/VoD a lot quicker if they got a hold of Tiscali
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Sky wont touch em with a barge pole, too busy working on its own tech rather than relying on Tiscali rubbish (or atleast i like to think they have that much sense). I suspect if anything someone like BT, Virgin or Orange will buy them out and if not them, A nice little side earner with the TV side for BT and Virgin and Orange are known to want to become even bigger than they already are. If someone like them dont buy them then i see the company being split up and parts sold to organisations most have never heard of
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 8 years ago
BT Vision is already larger than Tiscali TV, so BT buying for that reason would seem odd.

Orange needs to sort its own problems out, before gaining a large block of low margin customers
Posted by stilloptimistick over 8 years ago
There seems to be some conning about numbers of users. The beancounters who took over the original Pipex concentrated on buying up existing ISPs and flashy advertising campaigns to get newbies on 12 month contracts while letting the performance and support nosedive. So Pipex was already poor before Tiscali bought it but was flogged on the basis of numbers of users. My last payment to Pipex was in Oct 2006 but I can still log into the system which still contains my details. How many other ghost users are there? If Tiscali realise this, they seem happy to sell on the phantom numbers.
Posted by uniquename over 8 years ago
@stilloptimistick - well they aren't going to tell their potential buyes that 40% of accounts are dead are they?

@carpetburn - Orange belongs to France Telecom. I doubt if they would be allowed by Burlosconi to buy Tiscali, but who knows?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
IF its not BT, Virgin or Orange the only others i can think who would be insane enough are Carphone warehouse, either way i think for most readers here it wont matter, most i like to think wont touch Tiscali.
BT, Virgin and Orange would love to get them to also get a share of LLU users, virgin are dumb enough to think having another tv service aka Tiscali tv makes them compete with sky better and BT would probably flog it as an addon with vision (kinda like they have started to charge for other vision services).
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Orange are another bean counter company so anything to jack their numbers up they are also likely to sniff around. I guess its a wait and see, wouldnt be shocked if they have trouble selling to anyone.
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
I think O2 may be a shock interest.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"I think O2 may be a shock interest."

Hmmm possible, had a taste of the blood of bethere and have a hunger for more
Posted by Pete-W-Trotman over 8 years ago
I don't know where aerostar gets his information from but he's quite wrong as I have been a member of Tiscali Broadband for yonks and NEVER had a problem in fact because of this most of my friends have changed from other BB providers because of this reliability including those from Talk Talk. I always rate them 5 star as my download speeds have been very slightly under the quoted max for my line. Well done.
Posted by SFD1968_Derby over 8 years ago
Pete-W, as a former Tiscali customer, I can assure you that most of the Tiscali users that I've ever spoken to have experiences closer to aerostar's than to yours. Their tech support is laughable, their broadband is slow and was prone to dropping out on me. I jumped ship August last year to an Entanet reseller and it's a 100% improvement.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
SFD1968_Derby is correct, you only have to look at another ISP related site called ISPreview to see who comes tops with complaints...... suprise its Tiscali
Posted by manny35 over 8 years ago
I had no problems with Tiscali until two months ago when I had a lightning strike close to the house. Phoning Tiscali's help was a nightmare in trying to make myself understood to somebody with a limited amount of English. Eventually they offered to transfer my calls to my mobile while it was sorted. It took nearly two weeks and in the meantime my calls were transferred to somebody else who had had a problem at the same time. I am no longer with Tiscali.
Posted by edsora over 8 years ago
I signed up to f2s and had an average download of 3+. When they were bought by Pipex it dropped to an average of 2-. Then Tiscali bought Pipex and I seldom achieve a download of 1 now. Years ago the cheap telephone company I used was bought by Tiscali. I've been allergic to them ever since.