Claims that Tiscali will sell itself to Vodafone
Wednesday 04 June 2008 08:56:11 by Andrew Ferguson

Vodafone has been a relatively late entrant to the fixed line broadband market in the UK and currently provides its ADSL products by reselling a BT Wholesale managed service. The Register has seen claims from the Italian newspaper MF that on 4th June, Tiscali will announce Vodafone as the winning bidder in the race to buy the Tiscali group.

If the price is right then Vodafone's bid is said to be worth €2.8 per share, giving an overall value of €1.6bn to the group. Previous reports suggested bids by the Carphone Warehouse group were rejected, and it is not known how far the interest Sky has had in the communications provider have gone.

Tiscali has some 1.9 million UK customers, including those from Pipex, Pipex HomeCall, HomeChoice, Nildram, Bulldog and Freedom2Surf. Pipex has only recently undergone a makeover to focus on business services, with consumers being directed to the mainstream Tiscali products.

If Vodafone is the winning bidder it acquires an extensive network with both fully unbundled networks and shared unbundling, a TV over broadband service and the most extensive Datastream network in the UK. It remains to be seen how loyal the customers of providers who have seen themselves purchased by Pipex, then Tiscali and now another party will remain.

Comments

Posted by zyborg47 over 9 years ago
I only used Homecall for phone and left when Tiscali tok over, I am certainly I have left now, if Vodafone is taking over.

Never want anything to do with them again. But this is worrying, again less competition in the market
Posted by ceedee over 9 years ago
Am I alone in thinking that a VF takeover can only be a good thing for long-suffering Tiscali users?

Time will tell, I guess...
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
There are no "long" suffering Tiscali users, those that had the sense to realise how dreadfull Tiscali are have long jumped ship, I for example could not name a single Pipex regular to these forums which has stayed with Pipex/Tiscali.
Posted by ceedee over 9 years ago
While I too have watched several hundred (at a push) Tiscali-consumed, ex-Pipex users depart to sunnier climes, don't forget that Tiscali still have 1.9 million victims on their books (or should that be "hooks"?), most of whom are almost certainly suffering whether they're actually aware of their provider's poor service or not.
Posted by tonytoff over 8 years ago
I do beg to differ, Tiscali have been amongst the worst ISPs in the past but I signeup with them in January and was immaediately complaining about slow speeds. I was told by Tiscali administrators that I should see a large improvement in April/May as more bandwith was being added along with moving different customers onto different platfoms.
They have kept their word and for the last month I have been getting 7mb a day with no disconnections ever!! regardless of time of day! not many others can honestlysay that!
Posted by tonytoff over 8 years ago
Posted by tonytoff over 8 years ago
Posted by tonytoff over 8 years ago
I do beg to differ, Tiscali have been amongst the worst ISPs in the past but I signed up with them in January and was immaediately complaining about slow speeds. I was told by Tiscali administrators that I should see a large improvement in April/May as more bandwith was being added along with moving different customers onto different platfoms.
They have kept their word and for the last month I have been getting 7mb a day with no disconnections ever!! regardless of time of day! not many others can honestly say that!
Posted by tonytoff over 8 years ago
Posted by tonytoff over 8 years ago
Soo sorry, said it was re-directing but nothing was happening!!

Sorry
Posted by bdg2 over 8 years ago
@tonytoff: As a Pipex user that's been taken over by Tiscali and LLUed I have to agree that the service is pretty good now. I get pretty consistent >5Mbps download even at peak times and upload usually >500kbps.