Six arrested for allegedly sharing music via torrent tracker
Monday 02 June 2008 18:34:50 by Andrew Ferguson

Six users of the OiNK.cd website were arrested on 23rd and 28th May 2008. The site itself was a BitTorrent website that featured higher quality files than usual and even carried pre-release material. More information on these arrests can be found on The Register. For those that do not recall the original raids that saw the site close, the original news item is still available.

The six people who allegedly were sharing music using the site, were detained "in relation to uploading pre-release music". The six have been bailed without charge.

Where this case will go is any ones guess. The music industry is likely to want to make an example of both the website and its users. Any successful prosecution may make some think twice about where they obtain their music from. A successful prosecution would also add weight to the ongoing discussions between the film/music industry and communication providers to set-up some form of copyright policing.

The music industry may be hoping that cases like this will increase sales of music, but whether this will happen only time will tell. Stricter policing of music downloads will tightly focus peoples thoughts on whether prices for legal music downloads are fair.

Comments

Posted by bosie over 8 years ago
I do not condone stealing, it's wrong, but I understand the climate in which it is happening. The industry needs to provide easy access to digital shopping facilities which sell DRM free (platform neutral) material at fair prices in high quality - music and film both.
Posted by jrawle over 8 years ago
What isn't immediately clear from the start of this article is that these "users" were people who were uploading (presumably large amounts of) material, including pre-releases. They weren't casual users who had downloaded the odd piece of music. I think you should make that distinction, otherwise it almost seems you are doing the music industry's job for them!
Posted by c_j_ over 8 years ago
"the industry needs to provide easy access to quality material at fair prices".

Makes sense to me.

Remarkably, seems to make sense to the Daily/Sunday Mail too. The last two CDs Ive bought have both been freebies with the Mail. The artist gets paid, the punter gets happy, the record company gets stuffed. Result! Bit of a waste of paper though, and the choice is a bit pedestrian, not to mention limited.
Posted by scragglymonk over 8 years ago
Tend to get all my music for free and from jamendo. Given up on the pap that you get from HMV, you can listen before you download and if you want to pay the artist a donation, then the majority of the money gets to them :)
Posted by herdwick over 8 years ago
"The Daily Mail chief executive, Charles Sinclair, joined Rupert Murdoch today in bemoaning the newspaper industry's "collective madness" in giving away free CDs and DVDs."

Posted by Sara1 over 8 years ago
I get all the mp3's I want legally and for free. They are all high quality 320 kb/s files, much better than those you can buy.
I just record them from HD Radio using a Visteon Zoom HD Radio receiver and the software from here :
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Any successful prosecution may make some think twice about where they obtain their music from."
I doubt it... Only 6 arrested and currently set free out of the i believe (No i wasnt a member just based on what i have read) 125,000 which were members (I bet statiscally you are more likely to get run over by a big red bus) LOL if people are gonna play a numbers game it is NOT going to alter a persons habbits in the slightest.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Another waste of tax payers money arresting those 6 for reasons the police and others obviously didnt and still dont understand. Once again the music industry show what fools they are just like the foolish copper in the original BBC news video and his bold claim the site charged members FEES ROFL... Prosecute? They dont even know what the site did or how it worked
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
Thanks to the music industry's concern, I haven't bought any music in years and I oppose it as simple noise pollution.

Anything that depresses music sales (and this sort of thing does) is good with me.
Posted by Somerset over 8 years ago
Dawn - so you are saying that any sort of music, live or recorded, should be discouraged?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
No shes saying any type of music where a big industry rakes in the money while the artist gets basically nothing and then that industry whines like a spoilt brat someone has cost them a few pennys she is opposed to (or atleast thats how i read it).
Maybe if the industry practiced what they preached and paid the artist a fair rate for their talent the would get more respect when they call sites like Oink theft, until then whos the bigger theif, the person that downloads a 10 quid album or the industry that gives the talent about a £1 out of that £10 huh?
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
Somerset - Yup. Completely personal opinion, I admit, but afaik it's plain noise and I'm not the only one who just stopped buying music when the record companies started threatening us to feel that way.
Posted by Luvpeaceguru over 8 years ago
Theft is "to permanently deprive" (despite the split infinitive). When you share music or movies you don't permanently deprive anyone of anything
Posted by oli_jgb over 8 years ago
There is actually nothing illegal in downloading music. It is illegal to share these files though. Downloading is equal to recording off the radio and such. I however stick with iTunes - despite how over priced it is. There is a huge cost saving by not having to produce CD's and cases, why can't they pass that on to the customer?
Posted by Canopus over 8 years ago
You do realise that legally you need a licence to record music off the radio for your own use. OK, I bet no one bothers and probably no one has been prosecuted, but, that's the deal and the licence costs very little. If you can do that with high quality FM radio why not with the Internet?
Posted by oli_jgb over 8 years ago
I didn't realise that Canopus - I think the same does apply for the internet then, but as I said, it is illegal to share/upload the music. To do that you would need a radio license and you would need to pay royalties for each upload, as a radio station would.
Posted by bdg2 over 8 years ago
@Sara1: I'm afraid taping off the radio is just as illegal.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"@Sara1: I'm afraid taping off the radio is just as illegal."

Yea only difference between that and internet dowloading is you wont get a bunch of goons show up and kick in your door..... Ahhhh the hypocrites that are the music and film industry, id insult them more but with the stupid attitude of punish some that break copyright law on material but not others they do a good enough job of insulting there self.