Streaming problems with the BT Home Hub
Friday 30 May 2008 12:56:37 by Andrew Ferguson

Generally ADSL modem/routers once set-up and running are forgotten about, but now and then something can happen and the only cure is to switch it off and back on again. Traditionally this has been down to number of simultaneous connections that some games or peer to peer applications have open. Now it seems that the BT Home Hub may have a problem with some sites that offer video streaming.

Darren Waters of the BBC has blogged about problems the BT Home Hub appears to have with the BBC iPlayer streaming site. Though according to posts on our forums it may not be a problem exclusive to the BBC iPlayer, as one user reports the same problem when streaming video over the XBox games console.

The BT Home Hub, while often cited as being needed for BT Vision to work, is not an absolute requirement, you can use other routers and the BT Vision service will work. What you cannot do currently is use BT Vision box via any other broadband provider. If using an alternate router the main part missing is the upstream QoS that the Home Hub applies, the downstream is handled by the BT network, but the Home Hub applies QoS to the upstream to avoid any uploads interfering with BT Vision communication.

As with many bugs it does not seem to affect everyone. There are people with BT Home Hubs able to use iPlayer with no problems, and even more interestingly there are indications that some other routers may be affected too. This may become a more widespread issue as the bitrates used for video streams increase.

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Oh dear another problem with BTs Home Hub, appreciate this news though i know someone who had issues with their PS3 relating to streaming they thought the PS3 was maybe faulty until they tried their kit on someone else connection and router... I wonder if BT will finally say the home hub is junk, or will they brush this under the carpet much like they did the security issues and much more with it.
Posted by lloydio over 8 years ago
I dont believe in this BT Vision balls! I dont want to pay for TV thats going to hog my broadband that i pay a separate bill for a month!!! just goes to show how far bt are prepared to go in milking their copper phone lines.
Posted by ETEE over 8 years ago
TalkTalk also has an issue with iPlayer and certain routers and operating systems. A final fix is forthcoming but it revolves around the fact that iPlayer expects ACKs from the destination after every packet to continue video streaming, when routers often withhold every second ACK for greater efficiency.
Posted by Rroff over 8 years ago
I don't think this is just the home hub... I don't use the home hub but I use BT and I have problems streaming from a lot of sites during peak time 6pm to 2am for instances a 250kbit clip from the bbc website will rebuffer 10+ times in a 2 minute video...
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
I do wonder if its BTr that is the problem rather than the home hub.
Posted by r1sh12 over 8 years ago
the bt home hub is great, ive been through 5 routers, and for some reason i get good wireless reception throughout my home (previously i havent), i get voip my internet connection has a downstream of 8096 kbps, and my internet has never disconnected. capertburn is just a hater with nothing better to do then complain about any and everything
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
No, its the home hub Chrysalis.

I've seen replacing it with another ADSL router give some big increases in the speed at which MAX DSL stablises as well, incidentally.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
And Rroff? That's the BBC website.
Posted by Rroff over 8 years ago
? not sure your point but that was just an example, youtube and many other sites that stream video are just the same and its only during peak periods exactly...
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
The bbc website streams fine for me, everything from iplayer to news on their errr news site... Even when i had slow old pipex 1Mb the news site worked fine... You tube went to poop when they started throttling their service even more and i wasnt with them when iplayer started its streaming service, but that has also been fine for me with ukonline (doesnt pause and buffer at all apart from when you first click a video)
Id point your problems at your ISP Rroff whoever they are.
Posted by falkirkdaft over 8 years ago
i have the same problem intermittently.

when using bbc iplayer my Retail speedtouch 585V6 sometimes locks up and i have to reset it. its not an ISP problem (aquiss) as i never get the problem else where only on bbc iplayer
Posted by c_j_ over 8 years ago
"iPlayer expects ACKs from the destination after every packet to continue video streaming"

Is that for real? If so, it goes against the last 20 years or so of learnings of high-efficiency networking over real-world lossy connections...
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
Rroff: Well, I've never, ever had had deacent streaming from the BBC site across the years and different PC's and routers...

falkirkdaft: Does this happen with other p2p apps? I'd suspect it has to do with the router's issues with its routing tables - see if there's a firmware update.
Posted by Rroff over 8 years ago
I get flawless streaming most of the day - rarely a rebuffer - then bam the moment 6pm and traffic management kicks in its hopeless - constant rebuffering at 20-60 second intervals which is very annoying - as soon as 2am comes and traffic management clicks off it goes back to fine again - I point the finger at BT (my ISP).
Posted by falkirkdaft over 8 years ago
C_J_

no problems with other apps ONLY bbc iplayer my firmware is the most up to date
Posted by Richard1701 over 8 years ago
CARPETBURN is talking out of his arse when he says the HomeHub is rubbish. I've used both v1.0 and v1.5 and v1.5 is ALOT better, not that v1.0 was not bad. Video streaming is outstandingly quick, it's people not knowing how to use their Internet for maximum speed. Using Firefox, turning off P2P and bitorrent programs and living closer to the exchange increases internet speed NOT router. Anyway if EVERYONE doesn't get their collective arses in gear and upgrade to fibre-optic cables nationwide i'm moving to Bournemouth or France to get decent internet and I'm taking my homehub with me!
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"CARPETBURN is talking out of his arse when he says the HomeHub is rubbish"
oh really lets look at last years news also shall we...
seems they didnt learn or fix it either...
and now we have these streaming issues... Yes thats right listen someone named "DICK" (both in name and nature)instead of me and the news about the homehub LOL
Posted by pbailey4 over 8 years ago
there is a YouTube clip of a Homehub being given a fond farewell - invloving the use of petrol and matches! sweet
Posted by Richard1701 over 8 years ago
CARPETBURN, you don't actually use a homehub do you? thought not. Have you even seen one? I'm using one right now and have been using one for almost two years. I've never had a problem with, it's an easy to use reliable bit of it. There has never been a single piece of computer technology that has been perfect or anywhere near perfect. Why don't you get over yourself and start thinking positive thoughts, you might like it. BTW good pun on my name, CARPETBURN!?!!
Posted by Somerset over 8 years ago
Carpetburn enjoys a dig at anyone other than his ISP, particularly BT, and has no interest in how anyone else accesses the internet.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
yep shut yer arse up carpet!! you dont have a clue about reality...

a friend just got homehub, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it 99.9% secure... www.grc.com (shieldsup) for details..
I think the idiotic practice of NOT changing the defaults(detailed in the guide that comes withit!) may be the reason...

Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
LOL All ill say to those that bow before BT is enjoy your slow connections, your security flawed (been mentioned on this site more than once) home hub and now its inability to stream.... Dont whine at me like jealous children, i dont write the news here, but im sure it is accurate... Now run along you need to reboot your homehub, my critisism has just made it cry and crash.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
Carpet - I use a shared BT connection here. With a different router, absolutely nothing wrong with the base connection.

Heck, it's heaven compared to a nominally quicker NTL service.
Posted by Richard1701 over 8 years ago
i friend of mine went with tiscali and a PC world router. He was shacked with my decision to side with BT and the HomeHub. I'm having the last laugh now and he's a networking student.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"friend of mine went with tiscali and a PC world router. He was shacked with my decision to side with BT and the HomeHub. I'm having the last laugh now and he's a networking student."

OMG a networking student that goes to PC World... Do the others make fun of him? ;) hehe
Posted by Richard1701 over 8 years ago
yes, yes they do, we all do.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"yes, yes they do, we all do."

The lad has a fine career waiting for him with BT lol ;)
Posted by Richard1701 over 8 years ago
LMFAO!! You prick, i'll tell him said that