Orange Broadband sales drop by half
Thursday 24 April 2008 17:09:13 by John Hunt

Mobile Today reports that following a connection charge fee introduction last month, Orange have seen broadband sales drop by more than half. The £30 fee was introduced despite negative publicity surrounding their broadband service, however this could be a step in the right direction, introducing additional revenue for the needed investment to bring them back up to par.

"Sales have plummeted to less than half they were before the connection charge came in. Broadband has become almost impossible to sell and now it's proving difficult to motivate staff to push it."

Orange assistant store manager

Orange state that a long-term plan has been introduced to help resurrect the service. Another possible reason for the drop in sales could be the confusing pricing on the Orange website. It bombards you with different pricing and offers, but some only apply if you are in an Orange LLU area, and it's unclear how much you pay if you are already an Orange mobile customer.

Comments

Posted by hoodamanny over 8 years ago
with crappy service and rude support, word of mouth alone must not have helped.
Posted by Banderanti over 8 years ago
I agree. Orange provide one of the poorest services that I have ever encountered. With any luck they will go under.
Posted by D-J-S over 8 years ago
As a mobile customer I was looking at their ADSL packages. As stated, their website is confusing and the added £30 connection fee will not help. I for one will be giving Orange a wide berth in my search for a new ISP.
Posted by carrot63 over 8 years ago
"however this could be a step in the right direction, introducing additional revenue for the needed investment to bring them back up to par."

Curious logic, since with sign ups down by half and existing customers escaping dire service, presumably revenue will be down overall. As a strategy, putting off potential customers seems a little lemming like.
Posted by Pigmaster over 8 years ago
Orange could be a good ISP but lack of real investment leads it down the path of crappyness.

I also hate their website, for an original mobile phone operator and now broadband they don't half have some crap on the front page that is not related to their services like Dating and Diets/Fitness.
Posted by lloydio over 8 years ago
o well. looking at theese comments im glad i didnt choose Orange to switch to from TalkTalk. although there the only company that has got LLU on my exchange.
Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
Carrot63 yes but profit per customer is increased, and with less customers the network has lower operating costs. 100 customers making £10 profit is better than 1000 customers making £1 profit.
Posted by keith_thfc over 8 years ago
Orange have always led the way.....when it comes to miseading customers, forced LLU migrations and stealing money from them after they've migrated.

They've been at it since the freeserve days.

Methinks people have sussed them out at last.
Posted by ETEE over 8 years ago
I think this means that Orange or their parent will be looking to purchase another ISP sooner rather than later. They need the skills of others to turn around their broadband business.
Posted by springnuts over 8 years ago
I took a gamble on Orange, lured by a free laptop and good pricing. Connection is reliable, speed not spectacular but very acceptable (3.5 meg, plus VOIP line takes another 1 meg) - and customer services have been knowledgeable and helpful. Linux issues with Livebox, but solveable.
Posted by KarlAustin over 8 years ago
Orange could have been a great broadband provider, the same as they could have stayed as being a great mobile provider - if France Telecom hadn't bought them and milked them for every penny to prop up their debts.
Posted by johnmccaul over 8 years ago
I agree with hoodamanny, Orange provide a very poor service. Their broadband call centre staff are very unreliable and very rude.
Posted by mjw132 over 8 years ago
Orange broadband service is crap, my speed has been down to 73kbps when they tell me I should be getting 3.5mbps. There customer services for broadband and mobile phones are terrible and I would not recommend anybody to join them.
Posted by rsprosen over 8 years ago
Only 2 months and 3 days left on my contract and I am off. But where is the problem !! Any recomendations
Posted by oli_jgb over 8 years ago
Interesting that their sales have halved on a £30 activation fee...I assume migrations are still free?
If their sales have halved, that must mean that over half their customers were coming in on new lines rather than migrations. Especially interesting as the broadband market reportedly dries up.

The actual cost of activating a new line is more than £30 from BT, so orange still lose a certain amount initially - obviously why they have to tie their customers into 18 and 24 month contracts to make that money back.

Anyway, you get what you pay for.
Posted by Stu4933 over 8 years ago
I took the up to 5mbps package,I get 2.3mbps maximum , but at peak times 17kbps.I was told by a rude and very unhelpful customer services person that it was probably because I was too far away from the exchange,well I live 50 yards from the exchange,then it was my home wiring and I should get BT to fix it....it seems they read off a card whether it relates to your problem or not.
Being a glutton for punishment,I also have their mobile Racoon package.....don't start me about the service on that.First and last time with orange....never again,can't wait till my contract is up for both

Stu4933
Posted by weasle over 8 years ago
Worst provider I have ever been with. Regular problems, diabolically useless 'customer service' and slow connection. Only received 2.2Mbps with Orange. I am with Sky now and my connection speed is 6.1Mbps (and that's via wireless network). I am still in dispute with Orange for them illegally hijacking my phone line after I left them. Hopefully this charge will put people off orange and prevent them the misery they inflicted on me (and charged me for!).
Posted by mooneybear over 8 years ago
l recently took orange home max package and have had nothing but problems so steer clear of this one,as for orange customer service they are rude nasty people with no respect for the customers.
Posted by bradshaw2 over 8 years ago
I took 'free' broadband with a mobile contract. After a lightning strike which damaged my Livebox I made around 15 calls to Orange. The staff were unhelpful and refused to listen to my problem diagnosis. After 6 weeks without service I transferred to Global, despite 6 months to run (and pay for) on the combined Orange contract. I've never looked back and I hope Orange Broadbacn goes to the wall
Posted by DavidChett over 8 years ago
At one time I was nearly tearing my hair out over my Orange service.For eight months, despite continual complaints that got nowhere. I was averaging less that 2mbps on an 8mbps service. In the end I persistently sat on my phone line for nearly the whole day arguing with one person and another and finishing with a blistering row with someone. Miraculously,it had an almost immediate effect. For the last year I have had an average of 7.1mbps and am well satisfied.
One thing to watch out for though: they are a dab hand at tying you up in a new contract shortly before your old one expires.
Posted by AmberDragon over 8 years ago
Like "weasle" I have recently changed to Sky from Orange after years of being with them (since their Freeserve days). Once Orange took over the service went down rapidly, slow speeds, rude and ignorant customer service, worse than useless tech support. Rubbish service in general. I am also in dispute with them as they are trying to charge me £160 fee for changing provider as they claim I renewed a contract with them (which is a lie I have never renewed my contract with them and I challenge them to show me a signature!).
Posted by djricko over 8 years ago
As an EX orange customer I am not surprised. Service - Non Existant
Customer Services - Abysmal
Basically, they are crap!
Posted by stevelondon over 8 years ago
I was also with Freeserve when Wanadoo/Orange took over the service went into decline almost immediately i left them in august 2006 their tech and customer support was the worst ive ever experienced they didn't give 2 hoots all they cared about was trying to get you into a new contract, i had to go through the ISPA to get rid of them.
Unless they buck their ideas up and dramatically improve their support they will be history.
Posted by AngeloMilla over 8 years ago
I can't wait to give Orange the boot!
The salesperson promised 8Mb & I ask him: “up to 8Mb or 8Mb?” & he said 8Mb will be your actual speed Sir!
My AVG. speed 2mb, slower if you attempted anything bigger than 1Mb.
They call to offer me this new dial! I told them they were dreaming! Not again. I took the opportunity to complaint (they were paying for the call!) My speed now is 6Mb AVG last few weeks (I thought 2Mb was my fault being far from the exchange???) I am going back 2 NTL Broadband (Virgin Media now, that was good service) Soon the only Orange thing in my life will be a nice tan.
Posted by brucebus over 8 years ago
I have just booted orange out and changed to Virgin. The reliability was rubbish the speed was awful down to less than 1MB some days and unable to get on other times.
Situation now great, hope they go under.
brucebus
Posted by aseedb over 8 years ago
My download speed being around 16 kb/s with a 8Mbit contract, I am getting ready to leave Orange. However I wonder which ISP to chose. I don't want to find a miserable service again. Any advice? (I'm in Cambridge).
Cheers.
Aseedb
Posted by Thalgrum over 8 years ago
I was an Orange customer, started out with wanadoo, had a rock solid 100% dependable 2 meg connection, then they became orange...

I suddenly started getting dialup speeds, every day for 16 months, at 4pm, my broadband connection would turn into dialup, sometimes dropped as low as 60kbps, they denied there was a problem, and as others have said, blamed anything under the sun as the fault, I must have had 15 bt engineer visits.
Posted by Thalgrum over 8 years ago
in the end, they upgraded me to adsl max, (sticking me on a new contract without telling me) and it improved slightly, then I found out that the whole time, it was what the tech support guy described as "server crowding", there had never been a problem with my line, or the wiring in my house, at this point I asked to leave and went to sky.
Posted by Thalgrum over 8 years ago
of course, now they start going on about how I just started a brand new contract, I said like hell I have, they gave me the date and time etc when I asked, and I was able to provide the name, office and extension number of the tech support guy who had been dealing with my issues that day, and threatened to take them to court over the matter, they then promptly cancelled the contract and allowed me to migrate to sky broadband.

Posted by Thalgrum over 8 years ago
As a former customer, I would not recommend orange to my worst enemy, let alone a friend.

A shoddy product, worse customer and tech support and from what I was able to tell towards the end, over 90% of their call centres are based in india with untrained staff who barely speak english
Posted by Gazlet over 8 years ago
All true.

My Livebox VOIP phone line has been dead for a week. The Indian script-readers insist on repeatedly getting me to reset equipment to no avail...even when you tell them you've done all that. I don't find them rude, just robotic.

Might check Sky out.
Posted by jerrytaff over 8 years ago
springnuts - what are your linux livebox issues? I use XP and linux ubuntu/ mandriva with no problems. 6.5Mbits/s day in day out - must have downloaded 10Gbyte over W/E but have never hit a reasonable usage limit. Only £5/month on top of mobile contract - and I save more than that on international calls using the VOIP. AND livebox works as a print server on my mixed linux/windows network. Does anyone else have positive experiences or am I unique?
Posted by MyWorley over 8 years ago
Why does everyone seem to object to Orange/Wanadoo. I have been with them on an upto 8mb deal and during the day get a good connection of between 5.5 and 6.5 Mb. Just thought a little balance was needed. Have spoken to Tech help only once but with no problems.
Posted by weasle over 8 years ago
AmberDragon if ur having trouble with Orange try writing letter 2 :
Orange Customer Care
Orange UK Plc
PO Box 486
Rotherham
S63 5ZX
Ive had some success getting through 2 them. I posted a letter stating my grievance & the facts with copies of emails & letters they had sent me that supported my case. I also asked about the procedure for getting compensation without going through small claims court & they were quite helpful after this. Also check out
http://www.orange.co.uk/terms/5594.htm (specifically number 25 onwards)for more info on how 2 take them on!
Good luck
Posted by jrgay over 8 years ago
getting worse after I gave rave reviews weeks ago.
Wish I could switch