No new residential customers at Pipex
Wednesday 02 April 2008 14:50:42 by Andrew Ferguson

The integration of Pipex into the Tiscali brand continues. February saw Pipex launch a range of business products and the transition of Pipex to a business broadband provider continues as people visiting www.pipex.co.uk to order a consumer broadband package will now be directed to the Tiscali product pages.

The Pipex HomeCall service has undergone a similar transformation and is now only supporting existing customers. Existing Pipex consumers will still be able to log into their MyPipex section and use their Pipex email addresses, this is not likely to change for a long time. An example of how long this is likely to continue is that back in 2001 Tiscali bought LineOne and customers with a LineOne login are still able to use it.

Customers of Nildram and Freedom2Surf are unaffected by this latest change, though migrations onto alternate Tiscali networks such as Datastream and unbundled (LLU) systems are occuring.

Comments

Posted by nadger over 8 years ago
I really can't see that using the once great Pipex name to attract business customers will work.

Anyone searching the forums won't take long to find all the adverse comments that have been made of late.

One also assumes that the business products will still use the Tiscali network.

RIP Pipex - time for you to be given a decent burial with a headstone saying "Here lies a once great ISP"
Posted by RogN over 8 years ago
Log in at times, would be a better expression of how customers can log into "My Pipex" it refused my log in all last night and the main site returned "private" on first attempt tonight.

Nadger is quite right, as with many ISP's, once good but now good for nothing.
Posted by therioman over 8 years ago
I think the "Pipex" name may be slightly less mud than the Tiscali name. I know I'd have neither in my business :-)
Posted by anweledig over 8 years ago
I've just left pipex homecall and good riddance - a once good service became useless after the tiscali takeover, speeds dropped to the levels of a 56k modem at times and the system was totally useless.

Clearly tiscali wanted to get rid of the old customer base and were happy to see them go. I now make sure that all my friends, family and colleagues avoid tiscali like the plague and look for more stable and reliable providers
Posted by nadger over 8 years ago
Homecall always was Tiscali as that's who they were resellers for.
Posted by Guzzo over 8 years ago
The day Freedom2surf start to use Tiscali servers is the day to ask for a MAC code. Besides freedom2surf have been using Pipex LLU exchanges for years thats why Pipex bought them. It would be stupid not to use the equipment in the exchange. Also if you are on a Freedom2surf LLU connection enjoying up to 8mb surely Tiscali would be insane to switch you to a Tiscali LLU and reduce the speed to a 256k modem". Frankly I don't believe Tiscali do this. I would like to see actual evidence of this before switching ISP's. there's a lot of rumour about these days.
Posted by rothy over 8 years ago
I have also been disgusted with the service recently. I have hearing problems and they keep telling me to ring them! They changed my package without letting me view it although I told the caller I couldn't hear it. Now fighting to get MAC code without paying 10 months of new contract. Said it was cheaper but costing more.

Shamethem all
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"as people visiting www.pipex.co.uk to order a consumer broadband package will now be directed to the Tiscali product pages."

Well not yet it doesnt, well not for me but yeah basically as good as dead, good riddence to them, lets hope Tiscali fail to sell up and shut up shop instead also.
Posted by RogN over 8 years ago
Sorry when I click on "residential" on the main Pipex page it takes me to Tiscali, is that not the same for you, carpetburn?
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
exacly. just like bulldog 'died' and came back. etc. etc.

'bad' ISPs will be 'deserted' by the 'hogs', so the service will improve!!

Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Yep that happens now, did not last night for me though, one has to wonder if a Pipex residential srvice no longer exists why they still are effectively advertising it. Who knows!!! probably just more brain dead Pipex/Tiscali logic.
Again good riddence to them, lets just hope Tiscali gets sold and given a grave right next to Pipex also.
Posted by mr_chris over 8 years ago
quote "if a Pipex residential srvice no longer exists why they still are effectively advertising it"

Good point - but news takes a long long time to filter through to Joe Public who isn't interested in the latest IT / ISP developments - they may go round to someone's house in 6 months time saying "Oh I'm with Pipex - let's sign you up with them... oh right"

Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"Thinking about it - a note with a redirection would be better than just taking the user straight to Tiscali."

Thinking about things was/is neither companys strong point lol
Posted by hgalloway over 8 years ago
I have been with Pipex Homecall for about 15 months and had very little problem with them. I am aware that Tiscali have taken them over and of the adverse comments about that company. I would be interested to know just what have people got against Tiscali?
Posted by leshewitt over 8 years ago
Quote:"...just what have people got against Tiscali?".

Take any group of customers of anything and you'll always find a vocal minority who won't touch them with a bargepole.

I changed autumn 2007 from non-LLU 1mb Pipex, pre-Tiscali, to TalkTalk LLU. It syncs at 5mb despite my distance from the exchange and it's much more reliable than Pipex was. So I'm one of the non-vocal majority who like TalkTalk just fine!

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with people's comments here, just that they are all (rightly) coloured by personal experience.
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
too true. too many 'nutters' seem to think their problems are in the whole UK!!!
Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
- But I do see both sides... a friend has got TT a few months ago despite 'horror stories' all round, and still has great BB, good phone service, etc..
- Just one thing, if you have no succes with telephone support, use the TT forum - It actually works!! :)

Posted by comnut over 8 years ago
leshewitt: where is your exchange??
Mine is richmond, kew - they were grerat until December, when they must have changed the DSLAM, or something.. could well be what has been happening to others... gave up on it a month ago, now finding how great VM CABLE is...
Posted by aussiesean over 8 years ago
I am on pipex if you call it that these days, I am up in Aberdeen and the speed is terrible normally I was getting speeds of 2800k but in the last month it has been sitting between 56k (remember those days?) and 200k. Think it is time to switch!