Firmware upgrade for Netgear DG834v3 routers
Thursday 27 March 2008 15:17:27 by Andrew Ferguson

The AR7 chipset issue hit the headlines last year and Netgear has now issued a firmware update for its DG834 version 3 hardware that may improve things for some people.

The firmware is version 4.01.37 and should only be used on version 3 of the DG834 and DG834G routers. Note: Do not use this firmware on North American models.

The firmware fixes a number of issues, but what seems to be the major one was mentioned by Zen Internet on our forums.

• New DSL code from Infineon which addressees the LOM (Loss of Margin) drops whereby the modem re-syncs when the SNR margin fluctuates
  • Updated the DSL driver to improve interoperability.
  • Fixed a problem on the Router Status>Show Statistics page where a negative noise margin would be incorrectly displayed as a large positive number.

Whether you should upgrade your DG834v3 firmware is a personal decision, a general rule is that if the connection with the current firmware is working fine then leave things well alone. Those who stand to benefit the most would appear to be those suffering frequent disconnects which hopefully the tweaks to the DSL code will improve.

Comments

Posted by Mitchy_mitch over 9 years ago
Great, this has sorted out the WPA issue i had with my PS3. Everything appears to be working fine now.

I only called netgear lastnight asking about a firmware upgrade and i got tolt version 4.01.28 works fine with the PS3.....I didnt on mine.

Posted by Canopus over 9 years ago
Pity it seems to be impossible to get to their firmware update pages. Perhaps my router has a problem and I need to update it ;)
Posted by Going_Digital over 9 years ago
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"Typical of Netgear or should that be Netbeta to release a product to market way before it is ready and use their paying customers as free beta testers."

LOL you must be joking Netgear stuff from my experience is far better than many i could name including certain speedtouch products, atleast netgear regularly update their firmwares which have numerous features, which also for the most part from my experience work.
Posted by kev445 over 9 years ago
and unlike speedtouch do not remove features!
Posted by Canopus over 9 years ago
Since moving from Speedtouch to Netgear my PC now closes down correctly whereas with Speedtouch it used to hang caused by the Speedtouch USB modem refusing to let go of connections and staying live unless I pulled its USB plug. It was a well known issue that Speedtouch refused to acknowledge although to their credit they did recommend I ditch the USB modem of theirs and either connect directly via LAN or get a good router.
Posted by zenops over 9 years ago
USB Modems are not the most efficient of devices and your much better off with a router wireless or ethernet IMHO. Our Speedtouch devices are great and we rarely have faults outstanding as a result of using them. Mind you we have a great working relationship with the manufacturer so that helps us as an SP not only from a support perspective but also our end users.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 9 years ago
Posted by peterbell65 over 9 years ago
Interesting news this because my V2 DG834 has been playing up lately and one of the things I've just noticed is that I also get a very large positive number displayed when my noise margin goes negative. The only way to make it work again is to disconnect it from the line socket and let it re-sync. Does this mean I've got a dodgy Netgear product also?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"Carpet - Or...you could get a router which has open source firmware like my ASUS WL-500g and go and get the firmware you want with the features and modules you want! Heh."
Indeed, but i cant agree with you too much Dawn, that was just way too much a happy and smug reply hehe ;)
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Also as kev445 mentioned atleast any niggly issues they try to solve rather than just dump the feature all together.
@Canopus..... I used to have the exact same issue using my speedtouch frog on 2 different PCs, they never fixed it lol, infact on one of the older PCs it wouldnt boot or shutdown with the thing plugged in, you had to connect it once windows had booted (a problem relating to the amount of power the darn thing drained from the usb ports lol) support for the thing was dire.
Posted by simbr over 9 years ago
"Or...you could get a router which has open source firmware like my ASUS WL-500g"
There's a GPL source code link at the bottom of the firmware download page.
Posted by jtevans over 9 years ago
Their list of bug fixes includes:

# Fixed an issue where email received from the router had a date one month in advance of the actual date.

# Fixed a problem on the Router Status>Show Statistics page where a negative noise margin would be incorrectly displayed as a large positive number.

Those occur on the existing software versions for V2 routers and there's no upgrade - annoying!
Posted by atsw over 9 years ago
There seems to be a problem in firmware v4.01.37 (for DG834Gv3) where the router logs are not emailed by schedule anymore. I have my logs sent to me every day at 8:00am, but this no longer works in v4.01.37 firmware.