ISPA 2008 Winners Announced
Saturday 15 March 2008 14:08:36 by Andrew Ferguson

The Internet Services Providers' Association announced at its annual awards ceremony held on 14th March 2008 who the winners were in the various categories announced earlier this year. The annual awards are based on nominations by the companies themselves which are then whittled down to a top five in each category based on performance testing by Epitiro, with the final decision made by a panel of industry experts.

Award

Best Internet Telephony Entanet
Best Shared Hosting Namesco
Best Dedicated Hosting UKFast
Best Streaming Astream
Best Portal BT Yahoo
Internet Services Providers' Association - UK Internet Awards 2008 Winners

Three further awards where the winner is selected by the ISPA council.

• The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) Award: Given to Richard Swetenham - Head of the eContent and Safer Internet Unit at the European Commission For his involvement with the issue of Internet content since 1996, drafting the first Communication on illegal and harmful Internet content. He has been the driving force behind a variety of very successful EC Safer Internet Programmes, in particular the development of the INHOPE association of Hotlines.
  • The Internet Hero Award: Given to Peter Robbins OBE QPM, Chief Executive, IWF for his continued leadership of the IWF and approach to fostering extensive partnerships with the Internet industry, the government and law enforcement agencies to tackle illegal online content.
  • The Internet Villain Award: Went to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC for failing to take the protection of peoples’ personal data seriously and highlighting bad practice in protecting data by losing computer disks containing confidential details of 25 million child benefit recipients.

The full details of the awards can be found at www.ispaawards.org.uk, which includes a few words on each award as to why the judges felt the winner deserved it.

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
WOW even more IWF metaphorical humping this year than in previous years.... impressive!
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 9 years ago
That's the only thing in the entire awards which makes sense, Carpet. The IWF do a very good, very specific job.
Posted by kamelion over 9 years ago
Especially since most of the other awards arent worth the jpeg they are printed on.
Posted by Newnetteruser over 9 years ago
And the most pointless awards for awards goes to the ISPA.

Why anyone even bothers reporting these pointless awards is beyond me.

I would like to award myself the award for Best Net User!
Posted by oomingmak over 9 years ago
Newnetteruser: "Why anyone even bothers reporting these pointless awards is beyond me"

Well I'm glad that people do report these awards. It makes a handy list of ISPs to avoid.
Posted by uniquename over 9 years ago
@oomingmak

"It makes a handy list of ISPs to avoid"

Ummm :(

What a very facile remark.

You replied to a Newnetteruser. I also use Newnet. Have you ever used the Comparison Page here based entirely on users such as you and I rating their ISP, and have you browsed the Which ISP and General Broadband Chatter forums in the last 2 years?

And your ISP is?
Posted by ian72 over 9 years ago
Why are HMRC internet villain??? They lost the data on a couple of CDs - the Internet never came into it in any way.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Why this up each others bottom so called award thing still takes place each year is an even bigger mystery ian72.
I think ISPs actually have to put thereself forward for consideration of an award, the ISPA dont even look at the marketplace in an un-bias way and then choose who should win, if Tiscali for an example were the only ISP one year to say they would like to be considered for an award they would scoop every catagory LOL
Posted by RegNirrab over 9 years ago
I agree with ian72 - the HMRC are certainly villains of data protection but the internet had no part in the story whatsoever. The fact that it gets a mention is probably down to the gutter press who just love to "bash everything" or, better still, "blame the internet for all the evils of the world."
Posted by ian72 over 9 years ago
I agree with you CARPETBURN (and others in these comments). I just mentioned HMRC as it seemed even more odd than the way they actually award these so called accolades.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 9 years ago
Perhaps if HMRC had used the internet this would not have happened?

Though one assumes that they would have an Intranet they could send this stuff around on.
Posted by RegNirrab over 9 years ago
I also agree with CARPETBURN. What is point? (to quote R4 Down The Line).

Andrew: Isn't the problem with the HMRC thing that a/ they sent disks instead of using the internet and b/ they were sending this stuff to a company outside HMRC, so couldn't use their intranet and/or c/ they aren't clever enough to have set up secure access to their intranet from permitted outside agencies.
So, in summary:
Self-generated Awards - waste of time
HMRC Data Security - waste of space, air, words, etc...

Posted by GrahamMills over 9 years ago
The problem with HMRC and the Internet could be their complete incompetence at creating and maintaining a web site.
I had so much trouble trying to use the site that I eventually complained to my MP who got me a grovelling apology from the District Manager.
Posted by partymarty over 9 years ago
Waitrose have a award winning dialup service? Wow, they're so retro!
Posted by magiric over 9 years ago
Is it April 1st already?
Posted by chrishoops over 9 years ago
At least the ISPA got me out of my cr**py VM contract.