Be to increase network coverage by 15%
Wednesday 05 March 2008 10:06:00 by Andrew Ferguson

"This is the next stage in our development at Be as we believe that reliable high speed broadband takes continual innovation and investment,...
These 400 new exchanges will mean that over 67% of the UK population will be able to experience faster speeds with ADSL2+. But it doesn’t stop there; we are already testing new technologies that will enhance not only the network but our speed."

Oli White, Head of Marketing at Be Un Limited

Be currently offers a range of three products all using ADSL2+, the cheapest at £14 will connect at a maximum of 8Mbps and gives an upload connection of up to 1.3Mbps with unlimited usage. The Be Unlimited product costs £18 a month and offers a full rate ADSL2+ connection of up to 24Mbps, depending on your line and other factors. Be Pro at £22 month has the option of an up to 2.5Mbps upload connection, though some of the downstream speed is lost when using ADSL2+ Annex M.

One thing that is perhaps not always obvious is that while ADSL2+ offers a connection speed of up to 24Mbps which is three times that of ADSL, this does not mean you will automatically get three times the connection speed you get with ADSL. The actual benefit from ADSL2+ will vary depending on the length of your phone line and things like the number of phone extensions in your home. The shorter the line the greater the speed increase generally.

Comments

Posted by Johngrinham over 9 years ago
Hi,

I have been with Be since my exchange was activated last May. Previously with Plusnet on an up to 8Mb package at £21.99 per month I actually downloaded at approximately 3.5Mb. Now on Be's up to 24Mb connection the minimum I download at is 15Mb but usually at around 18Mb with a maximum of 20Mb, besides uploading at 1.1Mb and a ping of 21-23ms. All this and being uncapped, along with a fixed IP address for £18.00 per month, originally it was £24.00 per month but Be lowered their prices just before Christmas.

As you can guess I am well pleased with Be.

John.
Posted by uniquename over 9 years ago
"we are already testing new technologies that will enhance not only the network but our speed".

VDSL2?
Posted by dov1 over 9 years ago
Very few people are going see any benefit of VDSL2 if its from the exchange. Are they thinking of sub-loop unbundling or some other technology?
Posted by Pigmaster over 9 years ago
Does anyone have a list of these exchanges as they are not listed on Be's site.
Posted by gayboy-ds over 9 years ago
I would like O2 to now launch an IPTV option and throw in the line rental too. That will make me switch.

I am currently on Tiscali, whilst the speeds may not be great, it is good value for money.
Posted by strzelecki over 9 years ago
Exchange list : http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-league.php?status=4&sortfield=ex.name&sortorder=ASC&type=be
Posted by AndrueC over 9 years ago
Their network is normally excellent. I've been with them for nearly a year and I appear to have no contention at any time of the day. This isn't the case for everyone all the time though - they can sometimes be a bit slow in upgrading capacity.

It's also worth noting that their various servers (DNS, eMAIL, DHCP forums) have a slightly poor track record.

But overall I heartily recommend them to anyone.
Posted by Shempz over 9 years ago
Think I'm going to have to win the EuroMillions, and unbundle my little exchange in Fordcombe myself!
Posted by FraserSoft over 9 years ago
Was with Be for about 4 months until o2 came out with a better package and £3.50 a month cheaper.It's the same LLU gear at the exchange and the box is virtually identical other than I can use the 4 ethernet sockets on o2 where I could only use 3 with BE. Customer service is UK based and 24/7 up to now very happy.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"Be Un Limited between now and June 2008 are set to unbundle a further 400 exchanges where it will offer its ADSL2+ services. This will bring their coverage figure up to 67% of the UK population."
NOW what was i saying less than 1 month back when the regular mob of this site attacked me demanding proof... http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3400-uk-hits-3-9310-00-unbundled-lines.html
Oh yes thats right i said and i re-quote
"Bethere/O2 are far from done expanding" Enough proof for you now ??? Oh what a pain it is to always be right, while others try to insist you are wrong.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Oh yes and as promised........ "TOLD YOU SO".
Posted by MCM999 over 9 years ago
Posted by greedy4 over 9 years ago
Indeed he is

Opinionated, that is
Posted by _TRIaXOR_ over 9 years ago
woohoo, mine is one of em
Posted by timmay over 9 years ago
Sweet a faster than 16Mbps provider that doesn't require you to have Sky TV comes to my little market town. This should further increase Faversham's lead as the fastest town in Kent.

Posted by OldSchoolSoldier over 9 years ago
My exchange isn't included. My exchange serves 7k people which is more than some of the exchanges Be* plan to unbundle. I think it's something do do with the fact my exchange already has 4 LLU providers.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote""Oh what a pain it is to always be right". What an amazing statement from someone who so very often is so obviously incorrect in their statements here and so opinionated with it!"

Awww you seem to be confusing 'opinion' with 'fact' what i stated was fact and this is the proof.... deal with it.
Posted by chrysalis over 9 years ago
timmay you have misunderstood like many others what easynet/sky llu enabled means, it doesnt mean you have to have sky tv as any easynet enabled exchange allows you to use ukonline.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 9 years ago
OSS - They arn't unbundling the one my parents use either, which has 12k users and all the other exchanges in the council are on the list. (and all of them currently only have two LLU)
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"This should further increase Faversham's lead as the fastest town in Kent."
No real shock considering the town is pretty small and most of the residential homes are a stones throw at most from the town centre and also the exchange is almost slap bang in the middle of everything LOL lucky faversham kent swines lol ;)
Posted by _sjr_ over 9 years ago
Well 5 more exchanges in East Sussex but still Hastings, the biggest exchange in the county, serving over 32000 premises is overlooked (again). Oh well maybe next time...
Posted by tilly2007 over 9 years ago
:) - my exchange is one of them, roll on end of March !
Posted by Shempz over 9 years ago
You should all think yourselves lucky...there are only about 470 residential premises on my exchange...so none of the LLU operators want to touch my exchange!
Posted by GrahamPink over 9 years ago
Anyone know if they are doing the Clandon exchange in Surrey. My ISP is Supanet - the speed I get most of the time - it would be quicker to walk.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"Anyone know if they are doing the Clandon exchange in Surrey"
go to the bethere site, enter you details and find out