Tiscali boss gets boot
Thursday 28 February 2008 19:10:35 by John Hunt

Tiscali SpA has replaced Chief Executive Tommaso Pompei with board member Mario Rosso and indicated that the for sale signs may indeed be going out. Pompei will stay on as Director until the approval of the 2007 financial results.

Although no official word has come from Tiscali, reports at Reuters indicate that Italy's Fastweb, Vodafone and BT Group have all approached Tiscali as potential buyers. Whether they would acquire the entire business, or if it will be split up is unsure. Some bidder may, for example, only be interested in the UK arm of the business. Tiscali also released preliminary revenue figures showing a 34% increase to 910 million euros (£695 million). The speculation and denial in recent weeks of Tiscali looking to sell has been confusing, and perhaps when their latest results are out, we might hear definitive plans of what is happening with Tiscali.

Posted by Going_Digital over 9 years ago
Would be a fairly good strategic move for BT to buy them as they would get back all those customers that have been migrated to Tiscali's LLU connections. I'm not sure if it would be allowed though as it might be considered anti-competitive. It has to be said that the vast majority of customers who call us for support are those who have moved to the Tiscali LLU connections. Although I'm not a great fan of BT at least it is likely that under BT's control the standards would improve.
Posted by TheBaron over 9 years ago
I take it you work for Pipex ?

Any idea how many/percentage have left since the Tiscali take over ?
Posted by kingbaz over 9 years ago
tiscali have no understanding of the hurt and heartache they have inflicted on their victims.
tiscali should be made to pay compensation to any firm taking on the customers left with unreliable connections after tiscalis asset stripping exercise.
tiscali should NOT be allowed to profit from their cheating and lies
Barry King
Posted by ETEE over 9 years ago
BT would not be allowed to takeover Tiscali in the UK for competition reasons. Presumably they are interested in their overseas operations or a part of Tiscali UK such as Pipex Business.

I would think Vodaphone and maybe T-Mobile would be very likely interested to compete with Telephonica and Orange.

Whoever gets Tiscali will have a pig's ear to sort out.
Posted by gayboy-ds over 9 years ago
I don't think it is T-Mobile's strategy in the UK for a fixed line service. They are pushing for faster speeds - their HSDPA packages are very competitive. I would say the same for Vodafone too. Voda don't really seem to be giving a major push to its broadband unit.

BT has everything Tiscali has got - Tiscali is very fortunate to have a good IPTV platform in the UK. BT Vision is awful. Their STB maybe good - but it is mainly freeview and not many digital channels to watch.
Posted by Guzzo over 9 years ago
"tiscali should NOT be allowed to profit from their cheating and lies"

I can't help but grin at this news, as I have said before the globolizationists are moving in again.
Does anyone really think that there is anything more important than the making of pwofit?
The most laughable bit is the references to competition and the regualtor. As if LOL
Posted by billyarrow over 9 years ago
I personally view the news of Tiscali being for sale with dismay. I get a much better deal with them than I ever got with BT. Apart from one 3 day outage on Broadband, it's been reliable, and no slower than BT was.
Posted by ramsgatonian over 9 years ago
Just goes to show that whoever you sign up with, tomorrow is a totally different day.
I joined Freedom2Surf about 5 years ago, everthing was just fine, then they get bought up by Pipex/Tiscali and the next thing is goes tits up.I get massive problems with newsgroups, to find out that 'the mamagement' have outsourced the service, chaos.
I am trying to find an small, personnnal ISP which does not impose their will o the 'customer'.
Any ideas, anyone.
Posted by SteveToplek over 9 years ago
A few words of advice

Whoever takes over this goddam cowboy outfit

and don't forget,if nothing else, Tiscali won "best ISP portal" last year.
Posted by clericaleric over 9 years ago
I agree with Steve Toplek, Tiscali definitely must get rid of the Indian call centre. 20 minutes got me nowhere - they reckoned I needed to reinstall Internet Explorer!! In the end I solved the problem myself. I'm only staying because of the cost savings and the contract. When it ends I will look for an ISP with a British call centre. Anyone have any recommendatioms?
Posted by Ryszu over 9 years ago
Disclaimer: I work for PlusNet

PlusNet run a UK support centre (here in Sheffield in the same building the rest of the company are in) for our customers, and it's open 24/7.

The CSC here are the main reason we came top of a recent survey for customer care across a number of top ISPs, and we're really proud of that.
Posted by axth69 over 9 years ago
Yo clericaleric
Left Pipex after being part of all the reported hassles. Try Newnet. Fine and friendly folk, so far. Maybe they'll get bought.