Virgin Media publishes Q4 2007 results
Thursday 28 February 2008 18:26:04 by John Hunt

Virgin Media have today released their results for Q4 2007, ending December 31st. The figures show perhaps one of the best quarters since the NTL/Telewest merger into Virgin, with an on-net customer net addition of 24,400, up from 13,000 last quarter ('on-net' refers to where Virgin operate their own cable network). The TV service has definitely seen the end of the downturn that came about due to a spate between Virgin and BSkyB, with 61,100 net additions (the best for 7 years), up from 20,400 for Q3 2007, and 2,200 Q2 2007.

In terms of broadband users, Virgin saw a net addition of 106,200 customers to their Cable service and 5,000 to their DSL service (which operates where cable is unavailable), giving a total net addition of 111,200. This increases their total broadband customers to 3.7 million, up from 3.6 million for Q3 2007, however it is a down turn in customer gain compared with 122,900 net additions last quarter. The statistics also show a 49.5% triple-play penetration, up from 47% last quarter.

With 3.7 million broadband customers Virgin are staking a claim to the UK's largest residential broadband provider. BT still top them on total number of broadband connections of 4.25 million at the end of 2007, however it isn't clear how close the battle is in the residential arena without a break down of BT's business vs residential figures.

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
LOL so the top 2 phone and internet providers in the UK are some of the worse, seems some customers never learn.
Posted by partymarty over 9 years ago
the problem is that customers don't know any better.
Posted by spater over 9 years ago
BT do provide a broadband breakdown between business & residential: at the last results it had 4.25m total connections of which 0.77m were classed as 'small business'. Therefore BT has 3.48m residential customers, lower than Virgin's 3.7m.
Posted by Royf over 9 years ago
I am amazed that Virgin can have so many customers when they provide such a poor service to ordinary broadband customers and have very expensive back up too.I guess it wont be long before the 5000 change ISPs to a company that cares about them.
Posted by culculun over 9 years ago
I have to say as a Virgin Media user thay have improved tenfold since being NTL, Especially over the last few months, customer service has improved and so has speed. They deserve to be in the top.
Posted by big_bubbaloola over 9 years ago
Oh boy, I know i'm gonna get flamed for this one ...... I now actually don't have a problem with Virgin Media. When I signed up I was put on the upto 8meg package. Considering I can only get a max of 2meg where I live, it was excessive but at only £18, not too bad.

Then I was a victim of their speed management! After 4pm I was only getting 0.5 to 0.4meg download!! I phoned and complained, they put me on the old system at 2meg max for £14 per month. Wasn't expecting any change, but within a week, I was getting an average of 1.8meg and it hasn't dipped in 6 months.

Posted by TBPmasher over 9 years ago
I am a very happy Virgin Media customer for Broadband and telephone and have a great deal, the broadband speed is always constant at between 3.7 to 4meg any time of day, I am looking forward to the free upgrade to 10Meg this year. Keep it up Virgin, from sunny Guildford