O2 broadband discounts extended to pre-pay customers
Thursday 21 February 2008 15:24:12 by Andrew Ferguson

To date the various mobile and land-line broadband bundles have only applied to customers with relatively expensive monthly contracts. O2 Broadband is to extend its £5 discount to all its pre-pay (pay as you go) customers who top up their mobile with £10 every three months. The discount will be available from Friday 22nd February 2008.

Pre-pay customers taking advantage of the offer will need to agree to a 12 month contract on the broadband service and the discount is automatically taken off the 02 broadband bill so long as they keep meeting the £10 every three months top up rule. If the £10 rule is not met then they will be charged the non-discounted price for the broadband service on that particular bill.

Three broadband packages are available from O2, Standard at £7.50 for an up to 8Mbps connection, Premium for £10 per month with up to 16Mbps connection speeds and finally Ultimate with an up to 20Mbps connection for £15 a month. Standard and Premium offer an upstream speed of up to 1.3Mbps, Ultimate increases the upload speed to 1.6Mbps. The non-discounted prices work out at £5 a month more. There is no defined usage limit, but a fair use policy applies to all three products.

The services are only available where O2 has installed its own hardware at the local telephone exchange (commonly known as unbundling an exchange). The O2 checker will allow you to see if it is available in your area.

Posted by Balb0wa over 9 years ago
Good news indeed for pay as you go customers, the £10 a month top up and 300 free texts is a good deal really, well done 02
Posted by reidycat over 9 years ago
just switched to o2 today myself, received the discount as a mobile user-pay monthly. already on good deal with free texts/calls with mobile so i am very happy.
Posted by bikes_gb over 9 years ago
Not good news if your a gamer though, just spoke to o2, as I WAS thinking of moving over from Be*. But I've been told that they dont offer 'fastpath' on o2. They must be the only ISP (that I know of) who dont offer fastpath.
Posted by c_j_ over 9 years ago
Current O2 BB customers should be impressed, they're being overcharged by at least £5 a quarter (spend £10 on PAYG to save at least £15 on BB... save even more if you use the £10 of PAYG, hmmm)

Me confusbed. Is this O2 the same O2 that bought Be*? Is this Be*'s service or a different one? Why do they have separate websites? Etc.
Posted by Locky over 9 years ago
yes it is the o2 that bought be... and they will still be keeping be as a seperate running company (im guessing for tax reasons?)
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 9 years ago
Be offers options like static IP etc and so is positioned more at the pro-sumer small business sector it would appear.
Posted by bikes_gb over 9 years ago
o2 also offer static ip's, albeit for £5 extra a month.
Posted by danman7_200 over 9 years ago
Sky will not turn interleving off either.
Posted by mistyman1968 over 9 years ago
A month ago i was renewing my wifes £30 per month o2 monthly contract, i did indeed get the price down to £25 with a free top of the range phone thrown in, when the o2 cust. services guy threw in free (standard package) 12 months worth of broadband for FREE.I did'nt even mention anything about there broadband-WHAT A BRILL COMPANY-have put my own Netgear DG643GT modem/router in place of the rubbish Thomson ST780 THINGIE that o2 supply-and hey everythings running 100% ok,not bad for nowt'
Posted by dilus over 9 years ago
I have recently changed fron AOL to o2 using the fact that my wife is a pay monthly customer so taking advantage of the £5 discount per month. I am a PAYG o2 customer and now find out that they have extended it to PAYG customers, guess I could have stalled for a few days and done the switch using my mobile account, which would have meant that I could have been the main account holder and hence got more storage space. But I'm not complaining, my speed has trebled compared to AOL and I am very happy with the o2 experience I have enjoyed so far, keep up the good work o2
Posted by james82car over 8 years ago