Sky finishes switch to provision email via Google
Thursday 07 February 2008 17:45:29 by Andrew Ferguson

It has taken some months to happen but the Sky Broadband SMTP mail service has been turned off this week. The result of this is that if people have not updated the settings for their email software they will not be able to send emails.

The Register quotes one reader who reckons a lot of people will get caught out and not have altered their software. So far we have not come across any posters on our forums desperately seeking help, but just in case you can download the official Sky documentation for the changes. The main change to the SMTP server settings is that you should now use rather than, the TCP port used by the server is 465 rather than the standard port 25 and finally you need to enable SSL authentication in your mail client.

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Nice they kept their promise and have finished the transfer/switch. Took them a while but atleast they did it.

Bad news is they could have atleast sent customers an email before this all occured see they were aware and ready to make the SMTP adjustment. Hmm good news on one level bad on another.
Posted by ianpaul over 9 years ago
I have two email addresses, one with Sky, which works, the other a Freeserve account, which stopped sending emails a few days ago, I spoke to Orange, they told me it was nothing to do with them and to contact Sky, spent ages getting through to someone that would speak to me about email, he spoke to a supervisor. He said there was no problem and the system was working fine, and to go back to Orange. checked on the internet this morning and found the shortcut to the sky documentation, which hopefully with solve the problem. Why could'nt Sky help department have given me this?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 9 years ago
Most ISP support will have switched off when they heard another provider name mentioned assuming it would be their issue.
Posted by PG_Man over 9 years ago
No email sent to registered email MANY customers will simply stop receiving emails this week...Also new settings didn't work at first.At the moment anyone usnig NON sky email addresses using Outlook /Express or similar will have their email names 'swithed' to sky wihout notice.
so now you HAVE to use ONLY the sky email address as the servers convert all out going email to the sky addres and all your contacts will see the sky email address regardless of the real originating email address....
Posted by PG_Man over 9 years ago

coninued.....This SUCKs majorly and the support team didnt have a clue about it and say they are looking into it...Nice one Sky!

This is TERRIBLE implementation...
Posted by irrelevant over 9 years ago
That's Gmail for you - if you send anything via google smtp servers, it re-writes the from address to the account's email address. If you really want to use an alternate email, don't use sky/google smtp servers, but those associated with that email.
Posted by Lawcom over 9 years ago
The consequencies of this switch are far more reaching than just a change of SMPT servers.

If you use a person email address other than an, Sky and Google access your email strip out your return path and replace it with the Broadband account users email.

IE: your reply to: becomes the sky account and not the one you specified.

Which in my case and I'm sure in the case of many is not even my account.. it is my partners who pays the Broadband connection.

Personally that seems outrageous to me.
Posted by pete_run over 9 years ago
I previously used gmail and not my sky account. So what is the difference between usin g the new sky gmail and the old gmail?
Posted by bigthinka over 9 years ago
I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free, no service setup is required just a change to your email programs settings.

To get your SMTP account enter your email address here

and details of how to use the new SMTP account will be sent to you.
Posted by ricahrd over 9 years ago
I have a friend who switched to Sky recently. Sky baused up the email setup for their account and it didn't get created correctly on the gmail system.

Initially they said they'd have to create a new account and would 'post' new details out. Typically, no letter, and further calls revealed that they couldn't create a new account..."why don't you just set-up a hotmail account?" they said! I like that bit, especially considering they use google's mail system for their customers, you think they'd suggest setting up a googlemail address!
Posted by gdavidbeck over 9 years ago
What they have not said is that you can no longer mail your router log files for review as the Sky supplied router does not support SSL for mailing the logs. Tech support said they would be right back with a fix, let's see, um, about 4 months ago?
Posted by beekeeper010 over 9 years ago
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that Outlook (2002)had stopped sending e mails. I remembered about the e mail from Sky about changing the settings so I changed them. I am still unable to send e mails. When I "Test Account Settings" all checks are succcessful apart from the last one when I get the following message "Send test e mail message:Unable to send test message. Please verify the E mail address field". The address field is Any thoughts?