Sky broadband grows 28% in last quarter
Thursday 07 February 2008 09:40:15 by Andrew Ferguson

As one of the new providers on the block, Sky broadband is growing rapidly. Their interim results for the last six calendar months of 2007 show 260,000 new broadband customers giving the provider just under 1.2 million users on their broadband platform.

The scale of investment needed to expand the Easynet and UK Online businesses to cope with over a million consumers is revealed in figures that show the BSkyB operating profit of £295m included £91m of investment in providing the Sky Broadband and Sky Talk services. Interestingly the investment and embracing of ADSL2+ products may be paying back, since some two thirds of customers on the unbundled network chose a paid-for product rather than the basic 2 Mbps service with a 2 GB usage allowance which Sky TV subscribers can get for free.

Sky is not just about the various satellite TV, telephone and broadband bundles; It also owns the UK Online brand which had an additional 29,000 customers this quarter.

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Im not a fan of alot of what sky does but you have to admire what they have managed with their ADSL2+ products.
quote"It also owns the UK Online brand which had an additional 29,000 customers this quarter"
Good for the ukonline division :) service is good from my experience they deserve to do well also.
Posted by danman7_200 over 9 years ago
Despite sky signing up customers at a blistering rate I have yet to witness any contention on their network. All downloads, torrents, http, p2p all continue to max out my 10Mb line. Keep up good work sky! If sky can provide enough backhaul from exchanges to meet traffic demands why can't Tiscali do the same.

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"why can't Tiscali do the same."

Why cant many of the ISPs in this country do the same..... answer money, which they dont want to spend.
Posted by herdwick over 9 years ago
of the 2/3 taking a paid for product, how many are going for the Max package which is probably the only one with even a hope of covering its costs ?
Posted by chrysalis over 9 years ago
costs recovered herdwick is also saved tv subscriptions. You rate a product by profiteability I rate it as quality and value for money.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
I think he forgot they make money from TV and Phone services also.......opps was a good effort though
Posted by 2doorsbob over 9 years ago
Nice to see some positive comments unyet adding fuel to the debate .The dialy star today suggested sky have plunged £112 mill into the red according to there half year figures and ontop of that an impairment charge of £343 mill ..The shares in itv sky will have to sell have fallen in value considerably ..I hope this doesnt affect confidence in easynet as i agree there first rate
Posted by martinsaunders over 9 years ago
Sky have thrown an enormous amount of money at their UK infrastructure to support these customers, way way more than Tiscali, CPW, Be/O2 etc. That's why the network continues to perform well with so many customers..
Posted by herdwick over 9 years ago
I'm aware that only those already paying money to Sky are eligible for their broadband, making value for money somewhat subjective - my TV is free so it would be crap value for money to pay Sky for TV in order to get their broadband (I can't have their LLU products anyway).

The question remains - how many are paying for the Max package ?
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote "my TV is free"

You must be the first in this country that gets free TV then... The rest of us to legally watch have to pay this thing called a licence fee.
Kinda like to watch sky channels you pay them a fee also..... spot the pattern?
Posted by herdwick over 9 years ago
Well you may also notice that you have to have a TV licence to receive broadcast transmissions, either Sky or cable or terrestrial. So there is no extra cost to me and there would be with Sky.

My cheapest Sky option would be £11/month more than I pay now, and I would have a lower monthly GB limit. I don't suppose their offered "Up to 8 Mb1 download speed / 768Kb1 upload speed" is correct either.
Posted by comnut over 9 years ago
TV free??? yes, almost... it does not matter if you have 100 TV's, as long as the 'recorded home address' is the same... one licence will cover it, at only £1 a month... unless you nutters want to include how much it cost to buy the sets!!
Posted by comnut over 9 years ago
damn... missed a zero!! that would be 10pence a month!! (licence is about £10 a month :) )

Posted by comnut over 9 years ago
Looks like we could get 'five-play!!' :) :)
1 - internet
2 - phone
3 - mobile
4 - line rental inc. free
5 - TV licence inc. free!!

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"Well you may also notice that you have to have a TV licence to receive broadcast transmissions, either Sky or cable or terrestrial. So there is no extra cost to me and there would be with Sky"
Explain again how that makes, and i quote you "my TV is free" Your TV is not free and if you want more choice from your TV then like most things in life you pay for more. Sky charge you £11 quid a month for extra TV and broadband.... BT on the other hand charge you £15 quid for the phone even if you dont use it. So I imagine your "line rental" + your "broadband" = More than sky charge.
Posted by _sjr_ over 9 years ago
I think you're missing herdwick's point CARPET. No Sky LLU means £17 Sky connect plus £16 as a minimum Sky sub so £33 a month which is £11 more than he's paying now for his broadband. TV licence and line rental are irrelevant as they are fixed whether he has Sky or not
Posted by jason49mac over 9 years ago
Pity they still have a bunch of untrained "read from script" agents when you cal regarding a problem. Even when you ask for "tier 3" you still get someone who doesnt understand the first concept of networking, let alone WiFi.
Took me almost 3 months to get them to accept it was their service at fault and not my pc or their router. That was after almost 3 years of WiFi on NTL, BT, Plusnet.
Lets hope with th eincreased numbers they increase their agents abilities ..Yeah I know NO CHANCE.
Just as well it is so cheap!
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"I think you're missing herdwick's point"
His initial point was his TV is free which it isnt, later when he mentions indirectly what he pays for his internet explains things better though. I wont ask who his provider is, i can guess that lol
Posted by Royahoward over 9 years ago
Am worried by a comment elsehwere on Thinkbroadband that Sky do not allow migration !!.... Does this mean you cant leave them for another isp ??

Thoy