UK has over 3.7 million unbundled broadband connections
Friday 11 January 2008 12:46:39 by Andrew Ferguson

After a very slow start unbundled connections seem to have gained the momentum of a jugernaut. The Office of the Telecommunications Adjudicator report for December 2007 lists the UK as having 3,748,000 unbundled LLU lines in the UK.

Additionally 4.53 million lines use a wholesale line rental (WLR) product and a further 5.89 million telephone numbers have opted for carrier pre-selection (CPS).

Posted by Balb0wa over 9 years ago
Yes and its a nightmare moving from one to another still :-(
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Shifting my broadband to LLU is the best thing ive ever done for my net connection
Posted by c_j_ over 9 years ago
Hmmm, I wonder if BT Retail have got the message yet. 3.8M LLU + 4.5M WLR + 5.9M CPS (+ ? 1899 + VoIP etc) is 14+ million customers telling BT their telephone service costs too much (how many phone lines are there in the UK?) Is 21CN going to fix that?

Still, perhaps it's progress from not too many years ago when Ofcom said "LLU is now widely available" meaning that there were half a dozen LLU'd exchanges spread widely around London.

In other recent Ofcom-related news, the former Mr Ofcom, Stephen Carter, is now a key strategic adviser to Gordon Brrroon. Oh dear.
Posted by herdwick over 9 years ago
Aren't a large proportion of the 3.8M LLU going to be SMPF so could be BT telephony or will otherwise be in the WLR/CPS bracket.

That's competition. 30m lines.
Posted by c_j_ over 9 years ago
"Aren't a large proportion of the 3.8M LLU going to be SMPF?"

Who's doing LLU broadband without (now, or later) LLU voice? Let's see. Zen were, maybe still are, in a few places, so that'll be a few dozen lines. Be? A few tens of thousands, and a new owner who seems to have lost the plot. Pipex? Where are they now? Surely we're talking CPW, Orange, Sky, Tiscali - the big boys who still believe in the "quad play" (aka "locked-in customers") game? You don't *have* to have Sky voice for Skybroadband yet, but...
Posted by Shempz over 9 years ago
I'm one of the 3.7m, and because my exchange is small, unfortunately none of the ISPs will unbundle I'm stuck with max of 1mb speed and higher prices and smaler download limits!
Posted by Shempz over 9 years ago
Meant to say....not one of the 3.7m!!!!!
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 9 years ago
Talk Talk is the only large LLU player using fully unbundled lines, others use SMPF and a combination of WLR or CPS if they do calls too
Posted by AndrueC over 9 years ago
@Shempz - if you can currently only get 1Mb from BT then it's unlikely LLU will help you. With a low sync like yours the limiting factor is the line between you and the exchange and LLU won't change that..or not by much.
Posted by leshewitt over 9 years ago
Shempz: don't agree with what AndrueC said about speed. Were with Pipex for years, on 512kb then 1mb. A friend on the same exchange with Pipex had 2mb but they said we were too far away (around 5km), so we were maybe a bit marginal on the distance.

I transferred to LLU TalkTalk in Aug 2007. Broadly OK, no less reliable than Pipex. Speed varies, but always between 3mb and 4mb. Noticeably quicker than before and overall cost is more than £10 a month cheaper. Not sure whether it's relevant but we use a relatively modern wireless router, a Netgear DG834PN.
Posted by Shempz over 9 years ago
Yeah, I'm on ADSL Max, and get 1mb d/l and 380kb upload...if I had Be, then I reckon I'd probably get at least 2mb d/l and maybe up to 700kb upload. Not brilliant overall...but as I do a lot of online gaming, I'd ve able to host more with the better upload speeds. And remember...2mb d/l is twice as good as 1mb!