Tiscali knock on quad-play door
Friday 04 January 2008 09:37:57 by John Hunt

Tiscali will be joining the quad-play club later this year as it plans to rebrand the Toucan Mobile business to give its customer the option of a mobile service alongside its current broadband focus. 'Quad-play' will give Tiscali the ability to offer the 4 essential technology related products all from one name- telephone, broadband Internet, television and mobile telephone.

Toucan currently uses the T-Mobile network to provide its service, but this could change as The Telegraph reports that Tiscali have been in talks with the main four UK mobile operators with regards renting space to provide the service. Tiscali do not have plans to sell handsets and would be providing a SIM only based product. Customers would either have to purchase a phone separately or use their existing phones.

The entry into quad-play was an easy to decision to make in the current broadband market where bundling products together can help win customers on the price point. This announcement should help Tiscali, the fourth largest broadband provider following its acquisition of the Pipex broadband offerings and related brands (including Toucan), compete against its two larger rivals, BT and Virgin Media, who both also offer all four quad-play services. Tiscali previously purchased Homechoice in August 2006 to acquire their television over broadband service, however customer numbers have dwindled since then falling to around 36,000. O2 and Orange are expected to launch TV services later this year which will also bring more competition to the triple and quad-play markets respectively.

Comments

Posted by wispy over 9 years ago
i do worry about companies cashing in and offering these packages. it always seems that it never runs smoothly and apart from anything else, personally, i cannot stomach the idea of relying on Tiscali support for so many things!
Posted by Hysteria over 9 years ago
Its going to be chaos!
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
This news story is funny in soooo many ways i dont know where to even start.
Posted by AndrueC over 9 years ago
I'm not sure I'd say it was funny but..meh. CARPET's right. It is funny. I mean..what else can you do apart from laugh.
Posted by meldrew over 9 years ago
I can only assume that the people who want these packages are the unemployed who have both the time to use them and the time to contact Tiscali when things don't quite work as expected!
Posted by uniquename over 9 years ago
@meldrew :)

"to contact Tiscali when things don't quite work as expected!"

How will they do that? Snail-mail, phone from next door, or go to a TELEPHONE BOX?
Posted by chrysalis over 9 years ago
its all about sales sales sales in uk corp now.
Posted by Delboy0754 over 9 years ago
Tiscali can't even run a DECENT 8Mb broadband service. Just look at all the complaints.

I've been with them since Lineone days, and STILL they can't keep my speed stable.

A person from High tech complaints said, "When you where getting 6.5Mb you was on an ADSL2+ TEST line, But as we don't sell ASDL2+ you had to come off. That goes to show, they can't even supply UPTO 8Mb WITHOUT ASDL2+.

JOIN TISCALI at your own RISK.
Posted by daddygez over 9 years ago
I'm on tiscali 8mb and lucky to see 512kbps. (the odd 3mb early in the morning before work) anyone have a good isp? it seems that we complain about them all.
Posted by balgorn over 9 years ago
Tiscali are terrible.

If you want a decent broadband service go somewhere else, this company is just a joke. Terrible speeds incredibly bad customer service, and yes I am a current customer looking for a new provider.
Posted by charlietoo over 9 years ago
I was with Pipex for four years, I am now with Tiscali, I will be leaving them in June when my current 12 month agreement (when I moved from 2Meg to 8meg, what a waste of time and money that was) runs out.I get 0.8 to 3.2 Meg according to the time of day.