Free access to Nokia Music Store at The Cloud
Tuesday 11 December 2007 10:07:28 by Andrew Ferguson

The Nokia Music Store will be accessible for free via wireless hot-spots run by The Cloud. You still have to pay for any music tracks you download from the stores which cost around 80p a track with albums from £8.

October saw the announcement that BBC content was going to be available for free at The Cloud hot spots, so adding other content providers makes sense as a way to encourage people to make use of the hot-spots.

"If I am out and about and I hear a track in a shop or a friend recommends something, I want to be able to download it immediately - not wait until I get home,"

Owen Geddes, director of Business Development at The Cloud

Further details of the deal can be read about over on vnunet.com.

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
What type of bitrate is the music?? I take it its not that high quality if its using mobile phones and wifi? 8 quid an album... hmm if its less than 192k in quality terms you may as well just buy the cd IMO.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 9 years ago
192Kbps
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Thanks for that andrew, may be worth giving the odd 80p track a go first to check the quality. If its not bad the service may indeed be worth it for some music :)
Will have to research if its got anything nasty like DRM contained now, but other than that seems better than some similar services ive seen.
Posted by bosie over 9 years ago
Windows only though so probably due to DRM platform is a factor.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
I gave this service (if you can call it that) a go yesterday, all im saying is thank god i only paid for a single track and not a full album. The track cut of early at the end (it was missing about 5 seconds of the song) and took an age to download, (could had got it quicker and cheaper from a well known US service ;) ) id sooner gave my 80p to some begger in the street wanting a cup of tea. I was so outraged (yes over 80p lol) that i deleted it, emailed them about their so called service and in the process forgot to even check for drm bloat which i wouldnt be shocked if it had...Shambles!
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
As for the nokia music player and media bar it made me install... They are utterly pointless and a ridiculous requirement, the software is worse then many FREEWARE music managing apps out there... Was also a pain to get rid of, like most of the trojan-esque rubbish these companys make you install it seems to uninstall fine until you check your registry and what your connection is doing a little more, you then spend longer trying to get rid of it than you would trying to wake from a coma.... Overall another naff pay for this and that system to avoid.