New online backup services
Tuesday 27 November 2007 15:36:31 by Andrew Ferguson

Online backup systems are not new but Eclipse has announced details of its new PC Backup service. A basic 0.5GB thirty day free trial option is available for those wanting to try out the software before signing up. The monthly subscriptions run at £3.99 for a 5GB allowance, or 20GB of storage for £4.99 a month.

Off-site backups are something hopefully most small businesses already do, perhaps utilising physical off-site storage. The advantage of an online package like this Eclipse service and other similar services is that it is done directly from your computer once the software is setup.

Consumers are also increasingly using backup services to guard against theft of computers or probably the more common accidental deletion or broken hardware problems. Reasonably priced options are thus often welcomed.

We received a press release last week from who offer what is in theory an unlimited backup service (a fair usage policy does apply), which at $49.95 for 12 months is generally cheaper than UK based services. Looking closer at the service, while cheap, research shows that the initial uploads to Carbonite are actually very slow taking a number of days to upload the basic data. This does not appear to be a limitation of peoples connections, but rather rate limiting on the part of Carbonite.

Although not new, if looking for a short term backup solution to store data whilst upgrading or moving, Ewedrive may be worth a look. They offer 1GB of storage for free, and charge from 5p per GB per week, with an unlimited option available from £1.90 per week.

While a global economy is good in terms of finding bargains for online services and while we don't mean to suggest Carbonite are going to do anything malicious with customers data, people should consider what the laws are governing protection of their personal data that is stored in online backup systems (particularly if the company is based outside the UK).

Posted by PhilJennings over 9 years ago
You might also want to consider Mozy (U.S. based) - free for up to 2GB, $4.95 per month for unlimited storage. Initial uploads can be slow, just like Carbonite, though
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"The monthly subscriptions run at £3.99 for a 5GB allowance, or 20GB of storage for £4.99 a month."
Or you can use services like rapidshare to upload your content for free or better yet get a email account like gmail... Or even better than both those buy a 15p blank dvdr instead of paying £3.99 The last being more reliable, cheaper and safe having the data in your own hands.
Posted by smaugy over 9 years ago
I've been using the free Mozy Home, backing up about 60MB of changed data per night, for the past several months and it has been flawless. I recommend them and don't understand why anyone would want to pay for up to 2GB of storage when Mozy can do it for free.
Posted by weegiegeek over 9 years ago

I've been using that for a few weeks.

It's all manual upload, but you get 5GB for non-media files and 25GB for media files, all for free. There are paid-for services over and above it if you feel so inclined.

The servers appear to be in the UK, or .EU at least. I get >2MB/sec to their servers from a
Posted by mcbazza over 9 years ago
New York Times says that Google's own solution (some call 'GDrive') is to be released within next couple of months.
Free for basic usage (limit unknown), with pay versions available.
Posted by scousetechie over 9 years ago
I have been using Carbonite for just over a year, no complaints and it doesn't slow the server down as it only backs up when the connection is not in use.Yes it was slow at the begining, took about 3 days to back up all the server data but for 25 quid a year I'm happy.
Posted by Sparrow1982 over 9 years ago
Google search rocks. Google everything else, not so much.

My vote is for Started with them during their beta and the let me use it for free even after they started billing for a while. I dig it and use it all the time to get stuff from the road.
Posted by keith_thfc over 9 years ago
Wonder how long it will be before a free unlimited online backup service from the likes of google/facebook will be available - with the catch being that they will mine the data and use it to customize ads for you.

Posted by DaveFriend over 9 years ago
I’m Carbonite’s CEO. Carbonite’s upload speeds are faster than other online backup service we’ve tested. We have huge 20gbps pipes in our data center – only your own Internet connection limits backup speed.

To check your own internet speed, try You’ll see that your maximum upload speed with be very close to what Carbonite actually delivers for you.

Don’t worry about the initial upload – once it’s done, you never have to do it again. Daily incremental uploads usually are tiny and just happen in the background.
Posted by dragon2611 over 9 years ago
I use jungledisk

Used to use Mozy and only reason I switched was becuase I started using linux and there wasn't a mozy client for linux.

Also jungle disk uses Amazon's simple storage service (amazon s3) so you only pay for what you use..

I'm currently using about 2.3gb on there and it costs me ~ 30p a month.
Posted by staple over 9 years ago
Personally, I wouldn't back up any of my data to an online service. Wouldn't like it if somebody else got their hands on my data. Especially with all this identity fraud nowadays. Why not just buy an external hard drive or use DVDRs? External HD would work out cheaper anyway and I am sure there will by BluRay/HD DVD recorders available in the near future.
Posted by grahamperrin over 9 years ago
CrashPlan - pay only for the software then back up to/with only trusted remote destinations/people.
Posted by grahamperrin over 9 years ago
1) Encrypt all your files using EncFS. 2) Do back up your EncFS directory. Do not back up the volume (mountpoint) through which you normally access the same files. 3) Result: all backed up, with least worry of the files being compromised by whoever is guardian of the backup. Sounds scary, but if you use EncFS plug-in to MacFusion it should be a breeze.