Virgin reins in ambitions for off-net customers
Monday 26 November 2007 17:20:39 by Andrew Ferguson

Virgin Media has had a rough nine months and this is continuing as plans for TV over broadband in the areas where Virgin Media customers only have access to broadband over telephone lines are to be delayed until 2009.

At the press launch of Virgin Media, much was made of the uniqueness of their quad-play services and eventual expansion of this to cover 97% of UK households. As the year progressed, this looked to be happening when a deal was signed with C&W to use their wholesale network services. This weeks Sunday Times seems to suggest that the TV over broadband for Virgin Media customers who are off-net, i.e. not on the cable network, has been shelved until 2009.

Concentrating limited resources on the cable broadband network may be a good thing for cable users, but if this leads to under investment in the remaining half of the UK then the Virgin Media brand may still suffer from a poor reputation. A radical suggestion perhaps, but if Virgin Media wants to make its broadband products excel, perhaps it is time to find a buyer for its off-net business.

Richard Branson whom many consumers view as a good pair of hands in business terms is making moves on Northern Rock with promises of paying back some £11bn of the £25bn borrowed to keep it running. Just maybe this sort of investment in Virgin Media could keep a company that provides a real alternative to the BT local loop to half the country the ability to rebuild its reputation that has suffered in the last nine months.

Comments

Posted by mcbazza over 9 years ago
Branson wants to forget about investing £1B in a failing bank, and worry about investing the same money into his failing arm of Virgin Media (aka: us poor sods on their ADSL service).
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 9 years ago
mcbazza, the cable side's in a state as well. Don't feel singled out.
Posted by mcbazza over 9 years ago
:D
Shame. I left their cable service about 8mths ago, and it was fab (at the time)!! And moved onto ADSL, which was pants from the word go.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
quote"Richard Branson whom many consumers view as a good pair of hands in business terms is making moves on Northern Rock with promises of paying back some £11bn of the £25bn borrowed to keep it running."
Thats funny... Keep it running LOL i dont think i can name one thing with the virgin Media name that runs smoothly LMAO... If that goes ahead i cant even see them paying £11 back let alone £11bn. Maybe the man should concentrate on Virgin branded stuff like the mobile network, broadband network, TV network and god knows what else before he goes spouting fantasy figures like that.
Posted by mochdreboy over 9 years ago
I have been with Virgin for many years, firstly dial up and then broadband. it used to be good and reliable. Now it is rubbish.
Posted by CaptainW over 9 years ago
If he gets his hands on Northern Rock, maybe he plans to refinance Virgin Media's debts for it...where's the cheque book?
Posted by chrysalis over 9 years ago
VM should concentrate on its cable network and forget about off-net so I disagree with andrews thoughts, its better to have higher quality low coverage than lower quality higher coverage of course higher quality high coverage is even better but that needs them to increase their cable footprint.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 9 years ago
"A radical suggestion perhaps, but if Virgin Media wants to make its broadband products excel, perhaps it is time to find a buyer for its off-net business."

Reading your comment, it seems you agree with me, i.e. dispose of off-net.
Posted by lweston over 9 years ago
I seem to be in the minority, but I've had no issues with my cable service here in Edinburgh. It was fine when it was Telewest, and it's still fine now it's Virgin Media, although I'm not into games so I can't comment on latency. Outages are rare, and have always been fixed within a couple of hours. It's not the cheapest, but 2Mb/s really means 2Mb/s.
Posted by Birdseye3 over 9 years ago
Have been with Virgin for 12 years. When my contract comes up for renewal, I shall look elsewhere. The service received has been steadily declining and I can no longer tolerate the patently silly excuses that they give.
Posted by BravoLima over 9 years ago
I'm with you there mcbazza. shame on virgin.
Posted by timhowsley over 9 years ago
Yes I also agree, Virgins service via ADSL is getting worse. I always felt that the Virgin brannd ment quality. VirginMedia is turning this upside down. Very poor quality, when my contract up I am out of here!
Posted by grahamlister over 9 years ago
My contract is up and I've given notice. This rat's jumping ship - roll on the 20th Dec. A shambles of a service, more customers should vote with their feet come end of contract time!!
Posted by Guzzo over 9 years ago
virgin is desperate. you should read ALL the forums and see how the customers are treated. first. not very good so far