New packages at UK Online
Monday 15 October 2007 18:45:12 by Andrew Ferguson

UK Online who previously announced it was changing focus on its consumer broadband products has launched a range of 'professional' products that are aimed more at Home/Office use rather than the pure consumer market.

Three price points will be available, Lite at £14.99 for an up to 2Mbps service, Pro at £19.99 a month for an up to 8Mbps download speed and 768Kbps upstream service and Premier at £24.99 for an ADSL2+ up to 16Mbps download and 1Mbps upload service. All three packages are labelled as unlimited, though a fair use policy does apply. The contract is 12 months long and free support is available 24x7 via a freephone number. Premier also gives you a free domain name and static IP address which will appeal to people looking to host low traffic services on their connection.

The maximum speed advertised for the Premier product is actually less than the 22Mbps UK Online used to advertise. At this time it is not clear whether the 16Mbps connection speed exists as a hard cap, or whether those closest to the exchange will be allowed to run faster. Existing UK Online customers will remain on their current packages, so even if the new service does have a 16Mbps cap they should be unaffected.

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Nice to see they are expanding the product range, but quote"Existing UK Online customers will remain on their current packages, so even if the new service does have a 16Mbps cap they should be unaffected." i hope that remains true as otherwise i will be off inside my 12 month period and they wont get a penny extra from me as i signed upto something quoted as upto 22Mb. I wont pay £24.99 for an upto 16Mb service as IMO thats overpriced compared to the competition.
Posted by ads1user over 9 years ago
Interesting, I wonder if these prices include or exclude VAT. Im thinking of moving from Hotchilli/adsl4less for reasons i will explain later.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
says on the webpage http://www.ukonline.net/
bottom right "*All prices are inclusive of VAT"
Posted by aciddave over 9 years ago
hey all, i currently have an up to 8mbps service from line one, used to be called business broadband. had an email today about the changes which says i will stay on my current package unless i want to change to one of the new ones( says it would be premier). Upon checking the site to see if i could get a better speed, it shows that premier is up to 16mbps but i can still only get 8 at best (i currently get 5mbps, so i don't think i'll be upgrading! lol
Posted by aciddave over 9 years ago
sorry, should have said ukonline, not line one :D lol
Posted by Khan over 9 years ago
That 1mbit upload speed together with the static ip sounds delicious... But not unhealthy for me wallet. =)
Posted by Khan over 9 years ago
*doh!* I mean, But unhealthy for me wallet! =D
Posted by BlackAle over 9 years ago
@Khan, £25 unhealthy for your wallet? That's the biggest problem with UK broadband, people want everything for next to nothing.
Posted by adriandaz over 9 years ago
Where as people in Hull pay up to £29.99 for nothing ;-)
Posted by Khan over 9 years ago
@BlackAle, don't get me wrong now mate. People want broadband at reasonable cost. In case you're unaware, some of us have mortgages and credit cards to pay on top of everything else. ;)
Posted by OldSchoolSoldier over 9 years ago
Previously they said I would only be able to get the 8mbit service. Now they say I can get 12-15mbit. 12 month contract is a bit of a bummer although 1mbit upload speed is nice. I wonder if Be* will unbundle my exchange in the next 12 months? :(